Fordmods Logo

Periodic overcharge from alternator at various engine speeds 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Periodic overcharge from alternator at various engine speeds
Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Futura

TAS, Australia

Hi all, I've recently replaced the alternator in my ute (XF with EFI 250) due to the existing one not charging the battery.

From the time I installed it it would periodically overcharge the battery, I only noticed it by seeing the voltmeter on the dash jump from %25 to maximum.

I also got a new battery because the old one was failing from the lack of charge from the previous alternator, and this one is boiling over from the overcharge level..

I can be on the highway with the engine at a steady ~2000RPM or have it idling out of gear or in gear and it can be charging normally with the voltmeter displaying a steady %50 and then it will very quickly go to maximum the gauge can display.

When this happens out of gear idling the engine speed decreases slightly and increased again after it returns to normal.

The weird thing is that it just seems to randomly happen for a few seconds or up to a minute, and can sometime occur several times in the space of half an hour.

If anyone can help i'd be great, by my thinking if it was the voltage regulators failing it wouldn't be happening with such random behavior?

DCII LTD V8 - leather - low k's
1978 XC '1/2' 500 project 302C
BA Futura wagon
P38 Range Rover HSE

Post subject: Re: Periodic overcharge from alternator at various engine speeds
Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Don't trust the guage, it's a guide. Get a multimeter on it to check.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Futura

TAS, Australia

67RCE wrote:
Don't trust the guage, it's a guide. Get a multimeter on it to check.

Trouble is I can't replicate the conditions it occurs under because its so random.. It hasn't happened just after I've just started it, usually it starts happening a few minutes after. I'll give it a go though.

I meant to run a couple of wires into the cabin tonight so i can monitor it and record peak voltages on the multimeter while driving.

DCII LTD V8 - leather - low k's
1978 XC '1/2' 500 project 302C
BA Futura wagon
P38 Range Rover HSE

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EF xr6 AU3 220kw xr8

VIC, Australia

Hey,

Just like the last post get a multimeter and check the charge rate on the batteries, if that comes up ok could possibly be a dodgy regulator and yes i know its a new alternator. Also make sure your earth lead isnt loose on the battery and on the body as i had it happen to my old XF where my lights were going out randomly found the wire from battery to body loose. Hope that helps

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: au II ute, 63' xl falcon ute

VIC, Australia

Not 100% sure about the alternators on xf's but had this problem sereral times on my xe panno, turns out the 2 small colored wires plugging into the back of the alternator weren't plugged in properly. Try unplugging them and scrubbing the fk outta the clip and the back of the alt with degreaser then lightly tapping them back on with a screwdriver or pair of pliers. They should 'click' into place from memory..

au II ute, cam, mild porting/xr6 head, headers and zorst

63' xl falcon ute, engineered 302w, cam, heads, straight gas, built c4, xp disc brake front, lotsa fun (:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]