Fordmods Logo

petrol/dual-fuel/gas 

Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:01 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

WA, Australia

from the chick/dude at the cash register, they should have them ... yes only for gas :lol:

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

dddp! wrote:
from the chick/dude at the cash register, they should have them ... yes only for gas :lol:

the thing is if you look on the website there not actually for use in Tassie (no idea why) so I got it from the site nad thought i'd give it a try, but since it expired in a couple of days i didn't get a chance to and then threw it out

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

chunkz wrote:

Did you notice that in all states except WA you only get 2cents discount. In WA you get 4 cents. How's that work?

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Surf, Turbo Diesel

VIC, Australia

well they gas could come from wa?
cheaper to transport to wa?

trying to attract more wa customers?

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:34 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

cds70 wrote:
chunkz wrote:

Did you notice that in all states except WA you only get 2cents discount. In WA you get 4 cents. How's that work?

we probably pay 4cpl more than you guys anyway so it's probably worth sfa in reality :roll:

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

The problem with Gas is that it doesnt do quite as well as petrol when it comes to higher Revs : It burns a tad slower in the chambers (or thats what they used to say).

Bottom line : Most 6 cylinders dont rev past about 4200-4600 rpm on Gas because there isnt any way to get enough fuel in there (LPG adds 20% odd to the volume in the runner : Petrol is injected so it doesnt count).

Now Im a tiny bit sceptical about the slow-burning thing : as most of you know I run injected LPG, and I can go to the Rev limiter fairly easily. Of course, I have 20% more air available to me.

Cheers

Nigel

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:31 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Nigel wrote:
The problem with Gas is that it doesnt do quite as well as petrol when it comes to higher Revs : It burns a tad slower in the chambers (or thats what they used to say).

Bottom line : Most 6 cylinders dont rev past about 4200-4600 rpm on Gas because there isnt any way to get enough fuel in there (LPG adds 20% odd to the volume in the runner : Petrol is injected so it doesnt count).

Now Im a tiny bit sceptical about the slow-burning thing : as most of you know I run injected LPG, and I can go to the Rev limiter fairly easily. Of course, I have 20% more air available to me.

Cheers

Nigel

high revs don't mean much to me, i'd much rather get power down low, on the odd time i have booted it, it does seem to rev out ok and i have seen 4500rpm easily, but running in "D" sort of limits what revs you'll pull anyways
yonks ago they used to say automatics had more brains that the driver, longevity and economy speaking it's probably pretty spot on if it's not shifted manually

still, in the interests of research :) next time i'm out i'll go flat to the floor and let it rev til it changes itself in "D" ... see what happens

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Nigel wrote:

Cheers

Nigel

the slow burning part is also true... the higher the octane rating of a fuel the slower it will burn. and we all know gas has a high rating.
but that should not be a problem you just need to tune the engine to make use of the octane rating

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

nope i know for a fact that you guys in perth get ultimate cheaper than us on the east coast cause the bp refinery is in WA and thats why im guessing u also get 4cpl off and us only 2

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:56 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

I'm running duel fuel on my XH XR6 and when I gas I can go to the limiter, or constantly to 5.5k to 6k revs without an issue.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2004 Mazda Tribute

tickford_6 wrote:
i wouldn't bother with gas at all.. in a few years it will cost the same as petrol.

The excise doesn't change until 2011.. thats 7 years of fuel savings....
tickford_6 wrote:
And because you use more gas then petrol to go the same distance it would end up costing more.i spose if you went duel you might in the next few years make up the cost of the intall in fuel savings but you will not be better off..

Plug the numbers into my spreadsheet http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11681 And see how they come out. Typically you'll use about 16L/100Km on gas if you do 13Km/100 on petrol (I think??) depending on how hard you drive.
tickford_6 wrote:
Then you will have a gas system with no use and no resale value..

Who says they have no re-sale value? Gas fitted cars (not ex-cabs of course!) of the EF/EL era, with all other things equal, (km, condition etc) era are going for the same price as petrol... and are more in demand now than ever with Petrol going up and up. Some people even buy old cab wrecks for the gas systems.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

In my mechanic's words - LPG is the devil's fuel. Evil substance responsible for a lot of component failure.

*dons flame retardant clothing* if petrol is too much of a financial strain, perhaps one is not suited to driving a big car with a big engine?

Maybe i'm just jealous :) Having paid $30 for 25 litres of fuel this morning which will probably get me 150km!!

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2004 Mazda Tribute

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
In my mechanic's words - LPG is the devil's fuel. Evil substance responsible for a lot of component failure.

Mechanics who don't know how to deal with it say those kind of things.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Yeah ive been told by all my mates not to use LPG at all.. But hey i still have 2 years of warrantee left so if anything goes bad then i anit paying for it lol...I hope :?

Quote:
Maybe i'm just jealous Having paid $30 for 25 litres of fuel this morning which will probably get me 150km!!

Aww poor Martin lol hey i will be happy do do a trade with you for a week if you want to save some money, $30 will keep my car going for a fortnight! :D

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NL FBT #079

VIC, Australia

Having had cars that were duel fuel I would never buy one again, due to the problems that it caused.

My mechanic and also the Ford dealer that we take our cars to both loath LPG, it seems to cause more problems than it is worth.

The two main things I would take into serious consideration are LPG runs alot drier than petrol causing extra wear on the engine (not as much upper cylinder lubrication) and the boot space that you lose, or if in a wagon that your spare tyre will be taking up space in the cargo compartment.

The company that I work for has a policy NOT to have LPG cars even though we cover about 40-50,000 kms in each of the cars per annum.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next