Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Surf, Turbo Diesel

VIC, Australia

okay, with tax return coming up, i kind of have to do some thinking

do i leave my car at straight petrol
change it to dual fuel
or go straight gas (save boot space)

when the engine is tuned for gas, do i lose power? is it much? is it noticable?

any opinions will serve well...
and prices

cheers

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:04 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

There has been plenty of LPG posts lately, so have a search - there is an Excel spreadsheet posted that you can use to calculate how long it would take to pay for itself, etc. AFAIK, from 2011 there will be an excise of 12c/litre added (there's currently no excise on LPG), but that is supposed to be capped (Hmmmm). Otherwise, in my area over the last 4 yrs, LPG has risen and fallen in price - LPG is currently about 3-4c cheaper than in 2001. I've been running LPG for the last 11 years, and I guess I'm biased, I wouldn't go back to petrol only. You'll certainly notice your oil will still be relatively clean on oil changes, plus spark plugs last considerably longer (provided they were decent to start off with). I tend to think the longer we depend on petrol, the more we'll be held to ransom by the towelheads . . . .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Depends how much driving you do. I woudln't sutff around with duel fuel, petrol or straight gas. By the end of this year I plan to have removed my petrol system.

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Depends how much driving you do. I woudln't sutff around with duel fuel, petrol or straight gas. By the end of this year I plan to have removed my petrol system.

Of course the only drawback with a dedicated gas system is if you run out, you can't exactly go down to the nearest servo and carry some LPG back in a jerry can.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

if u car is tuned right u shouldnt loose power some times can gain power as gas in a higher octane than petrol, i thinks is 102 near that.

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hmm cheers
any prices for a full conversion???

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:13 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

WA, Australia

you do lose a bit of power because in a dual fuel car 30% or so of your intake air is mixed with gas unlike petrol or injected gas engines where there is no fuel in the intake air, the fuel is injected into the cylinder instead

if you ever need more power, for example overtaking, it's simple enough to switch back to petrol momentarily, then back to gas for normal driving

fuel guages on gas cars to be not 100% accurate, mine'll run on "empty" for a fair while before it starts to run out ... even after it's run out, you can still go a bit further cause when it "runs out" it will actually still run on the vapours for a little while longer, you just can't accelerate

with todays petrol prices i go gas if i was you, went on a trip to perth last week, i filled up half way there, then topped up at the same place on the way home

result 194ks travelled, gas cost $11 something, i get a discount, 4cpl, which BP will give to anyone that asks, end price was $10.05

so, it cost me $10 to travel 194k, pretty cheap i reckon

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

whats this BP discount your talking about
what do you do to get it?

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

chunkz wrote:

BP had a promotion a while ago, you could apply for a card, but it ended in Febuary this year, I'm guessing that a lot of servos still do it though.

I've never run out of fuel in a car or bike before. I drive my car about 250km's a week, ride my motorbike about 50km's (a lot more in summer when it's not rainign and warmer), and do about 200 to 300km's a week in the wrok car making deliveries. It's not really a skill to be able to check the fuel gauge! A lot of servos here sell LPG now, and there's generlaly at least one in most of the little towns and that up the coast and what not. Besides, I can drive from one corner to Tassie to the other on a full tank!

Your looking at $2,000 to $3,000 grand for a full conversion done, depending if you buy new, second hand, what brand, who you know, pay cash, etc.

Another big thing to consider is weather or not your going to keep the car for long enough for the conversion to pay itself off.

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

i wouldn't bother with gas at all.. in a few years it will cost the same as petrol.
and because you use more gas then petrol to go the same distance it would end up costing more..
i spose if you went duel you might in the next few years make up the cost of the intall in feul savings but you will not be better off. then you will have a gas system with no use and no resale value..
at least if you went duel you would not have to pay to have your petrol system fitted again.

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:47 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
chunkz wrote:

BP had a promotion a while ago, you could apply for a card, but it ended in Febuary this year, I'm guessing that a lot of servos still do it though.

that's the one, BP chose to keep it going indefinately with the old cards, who knows by the time the excise comes in, they may still run it

distance travelled in the main criteria for converting to gas, the more you drive the sooner it pays for itself, or do like i did, buy a car with it already done

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

dddp! wrote:
that's the one, BP chose to keep it going indefinately with the old cards, who knows by the time the excise comes in, they may still run it

distance travelled in the main criteria for converting to gas, the more you drive the sooner it pays for itself, or do like i did, buy a car with it already done

DANG! I did not know that. I got my card sent to me like a day before it expired and threw it away.

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:56 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
dddp! wrote:

DANG! I did not know that. I got my card sent to me like a day before it expired and threw it away.

get another one mate, you can still get new ones i'm pretty sure

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

how!?!?!
i want one

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways