Fordmods Logo

pinging ef 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: pinging ef
Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:38 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: eb

QLD, Australia

Hi guys just wondering if some one could help, my 1994 ef falcon has just started ping really bad,ive never worked on electronically controlled car before. So i dont know where to start looking for the problem if some one could suggest a starting point for me to look that would be much appreciated cheers

Post subject: Re: pinging ef
Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:48 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: manual ef xr6

VIC, Australia

try good fuel 98 octane that will help

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:37 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

Timing is controlled by the ecu. It takes inputs from the crank angle sensor and also looks at coolant temp, rpm, gear selection and other engine parameters to calculate how much to advance the timing. Under hard uphill acceleration, timing will be advanced rapidly and monitored by the ecu thru the knock sensor. If the knock sensor detects pinging, it will retard the timing and then slowly advance it again until no knock is detected. I'd say your knock sensor isn't working properly if you are getting pinging. Not much that can be altered on an EF as far as timing is concerned. Inspect your harmonic/crown wheel assembly to make sure it is tight. Placing the ecu into diagnostic mode and checking codes may reveal problems with the knock sensor. Whilst in diagnostic mode, check your timing. Should be stable at tdc.

Has the engine had any work done to it? Compression ratio changed or cam changed.

How clean is the area around the crank sensor/ crown wheel assembly? Make sure both bolts are in the crank angle sensor and the crown wheel has all 35 teeth (one tooth is missing by design).

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:33 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Hi thanks for the reply, no work has been done to comp ratio or cam. Shes a old run about i think i found the problem she seems to have a coolant leak, and the day it was pinging the temp did go up a bit now i have replaced the leaky hose and toped up the coolant shes running quite cooly now and no pinging. May be hot spots in cylinder head ? any opions cheers

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

money on that one of the sensors has gone. either the crank or knock. test those.

If the head gasket has been done and the comp is REALLY high it will also do it

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:31 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Thanks for the responces, yeah head had a crack in it not to long ago all fixed now.The other question i have is the pully wheel on the water pump is quite noisey would that be the water pump internals or is the pully stuffed cheers.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]