Fordmods Logo

Piston slap on startup?? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

twr7cx wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
your problem has been bolded.
10 000km is too long far too long to leave oil i the engine. 5000km never more, no mater what the engine ar what the service book says.
and thats for a general use engine. as soon as you start modifying or givinf the engine a hard time you should change it even more often.

You reckon? A lot of taxi's will only change oil every 10,000km's, and still be kicking around 700,000km's later!
However, I don't disagree with you, I'd rather run a slightly cheaper oil and change it more often myself.

cheaper oil??? no way not for me. i put $50 of motul and a new motorcraft racing filter ($55 trade price) at not more then 4000km these days.

the taxis go through less then half the cold run that a normal car would. meaning less rich mixture, it's the rich cold run that does the damage to engines and pollutes the oil with feul.

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

An update.

It's been doing it ever since I bought it 4 years ago.

Current HPR15 oil is about 1000's old. Still clear.

I change oil at less than 10000 k's, 10000 being the max ever.

I do the oil change myself, along with filter and fuel filter.

As far as oil pressure dropping, I wouldn't even trust the gauge itself enough to answer that. The gauge is just toy IMO, and goes up and down with the load on the battery. In fact it's probably a more accurate battery guage than the actal battery guage itself :wink:

With the above, I used to have the oil gauge dropping right to the bottom all the time on hot days. Worse at night on cool summer nights. I worked out it was made worse by having such a load on the battery running various things at the same time. IE High beams, air-con, stereo on loud.
I improved where the oil needle sits by improving an earthing point, and topping the battery fluids up with distilled water (battery fluids topped up a year ago, lasted a cold winter, battery 3 years old, distilled water didn't kill it).

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Kit wrote:
An update.

It's been doing it ever since I bought it 4 years ago.

Current HPR15 oil is about 1000's old. Still clear.

I change oil at less than 10000 k's, 10000 being the max ever.

I do the oil change myself, along with filter and fuel filter.

As far as oil pressure dropping, I wouldn't even trust the gauge itself enough to answer that. The gauge is just toy IMO, and goes up and down with the load on the battery. In fact it's probably a more accurate battery guage than the actal battery guage itself :wink:

With the above, I used to have the oil gauge dropping right to the bottom all the time on hot days. Worse at night on cool summer nights. I worked out it was made worse by having such a load on the battery running various things at the same time. IE High beams, air-con, stereo on loud.
I improved where the oil needle sits by improving an earthing point, and topping the battery fluids up with distilled water (battery fluids topped up a year ago, lasted a cold winter, battery 3 years old, distilled water didn't kill it).

see i just worked it all out.

it was doing it befor you got it. so your servicing would have had no impact on it. It would have been the people befor you having an even poorer service schedual..

you still need to change that from 10 000km max ever to 5000km max ever.
10 000 is just way to long and your causing damage by doing it.
I know alot of people think it's ok to leave them for 10 000 and well if you want to beleive them thats fine.

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

cheaper oil??? no way not for me. i put $50 of motul and a new motorcraft racing filter ($55 trade price) at not more then 4000km these days.

so your service bill for for an oil an filter change comes to $95. ive just done a major service + Diff oil change and it come to $45. And thats using Burson brand filters and penzoil 20w-50 oil for the eng. and penzoil 90w gear oil for the diff.

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

nannas_ed wrote:

so your service bill for for an oil an filter change comes to $95. ive just done a major service + Diff oil change and it come to $45. And thats using Burson brand filters and penzoil 20w-50 oil for the eng. and penzoil 90w gear oil for the diff.

and i probably do it more often as well
so whats your point??????

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2