Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post subject: Re: PISTONS FOR AU 4.0 OHC
Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

macxr8 wrote:
after using ajax, I drove the car down the the south coast, then up to canberra and back to sydney, using petrol. The car used approx 1 litre of oil for the 1000 k's travelled. It has certainly been worse than that before the ajx, but it still uses it. Since the motor went in it has used aprox 20L of oil for 10k klms travelled.

We built a 350 chev (using Hastings cast rings)for a customer and it went onto staright gas from the word go, 6mths later motor was back out as it was using oil. Rehoned, dynoed on petrol to run it in, the back into the vehicle. Still using oil but not as much as before.

When I rebuild my motor again, Im going to try a product called quick seat. Made by total seal rings, it is specifically designed for fast bedding in of rings.

As for incorrect running in, I've lost count of the number of motors I have built and installed. And currently work for a engine reconditioner, spoke at length to various "experts" about running in on LPG and none could give a staright answer. Even the ACL rep told me the rings I used would be fine as they were gas nitrided rings and would bed in...

yeah its hard to get a straight answer on LPG...

whats your theory behind why it would be any more difficult to run in on LPG?

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

iirc, on genuine Ford LPG ( dual fuel), cars, they said not to use gas for X amount of K's while running in the engine. This was in the EF/EL days.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
iirc, on genuine Ford LPG ( dual fuel), cars, they said not to use gas for X amount of K's while running in the engine. This was in the EF/EL days.

gunna be a problem if u own an EGAS...

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

BIG problem for EGAS engines

Should call Ford service and find out what are the rings and who made them and find what material they are.

I'll see if i can get onto my bro's mate who would know about this but his AU engine is turbo, would that make a difference???

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

rings are made by ACL.

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

So when and engine bores are glazed does that mean it will only drink oil or will it loose performance and waer engine out alot faster???

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

it will drink oil and perfromance will be down slightly as comp will drop, probably not even noticable

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

With running LPG, I am a believer in using an upper cylinder lube system, like Moreys or Lucas or the other one that I can't remember. This will give the engine something.....better than nothing.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

On ford forums theree also talking about bedding in rings on LPG

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11260748

Quote from blownba

Run heaps of gas engines in on LPG.
As long as the correct rings are used and you have the correct hone pattren on bore finish to retain enough oil you will be fine.
I have seen engines with chrome rings or evn crap hones not bed in and turn into smoke machines within a few thousand.
But is your engine builder has the knowledge and experience no problem.
But when evr in doubt that the engine actually is correctly for straight gas I would always run in on petrol. Sometimes up to 5000km, usally I would only do it if I didn't build it or its a mass produced piece of junk like a HM or RPM engine. As one of the engines I saw blow massive smoke after 1500km was a HM engine run on gas too early.
I reckon I have done at least 15 engines in my time that have been run in on LPG and are still going strong today.

Qoute from LTD351T

use whatever the piston manufacturer reccomends, or whatever comes in the kit, if you buy a kit, ideally you would get blower/turbo pistons with set down ring pack, and thicker lands, and if your getting good pistons like that, get the rings they suggest, then get the hone to suit.

I've used regular 'moly' or 'black moly' rings in stock piston turbo lpg rebuilds.

The trick with running in on LPG is to load the engine up, don't p***y foot around, if you have a really steep long hill, fill up the trailer with heavy chit and do 15 or so full load pulls up the hill in 2nd gear medium revs, sorta deal, hammer the engine, just keep max rpm down until cam is settled in. Last Xflow I did used acl 'moly' rings, the ones just up from standard rings, and we took that car out the backroads and pumped 17psi into it all night, bedded in great.

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4