Fordmods Logo

Plastic heater/coolant pipe on passenger side of EF I6 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Plastic heater/coolant pipe on passenger side of EF I6
Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

On the EF I6 there's a solid heater pipe running on the passenger side underneath the inlet manifold. I believe it goes from the thermostat housing down to were the heater tap is above the swaybar.
I've had a leak coming from this area for the last week. Today I lifted the front of the car and removed the hose that connected to this solid pipe from the heater tap. I got a brand new replacement hose, put it on, and as I was tightening up the hose clamps, it fell off.
I thought that was really odd as it was a tight fit. But it's actually broken the barb that the hose slides over off of the solid pipe.
Anyone know how hard it is to replace this solid pipe? Looks a bit like a fidly prick (not helped by the far I have a supercharger, secondary fuel pump, strut brace and larger swaybar all in the way).

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

That pipe runs up to the lower thermostat housing. There is a small braket holding it in with a 10mm bolt and a side bracket a bit after the bend mounting it to the BBM.

I believe the pipe is metal of some kind. It is an interference fit in the lower thermostat housing and it could be difficult to remove. Patience and a big hammer is called for. There is also a smaller pipe that branches off it so look out for that one as well.

Hope this helps.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

If the pipe is metal, why's the end plastic (or I'm assuming it's plastic as it feels like it)? Any idea if just the plastic end peice is replacable?
I just had a look and the entire blower bracket has to be shifted or removed to get to the bolt holding the pipe to the thermostat housing.

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:18 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

The metal pipe that runs round the back of the engine has a plastic endpiece - these often crack/disintegrate.
You can carefully butcher - i.e. get a set of sidecutters, cut/peel off the plastic nozzle/clips, etc, and you'll be left with the metal pipe which has a step that goes around it - put your hose over it and jubilee clamp it. Be careful not to damage the metal pipe when butchering.

It'll be a fiddly job normally as there's not a lot of surrounding space.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
The metal pipe that runs round the back of the engine has a plastic endpiece - these often crack/disintegrate.
You can carefully butcher - i.e. get a set of sidecutters, cut/peel off the plastic nozzle/clips, etc, and you'll be left with the metal pipe which has a step that goes around it - put your hose over it and jubilee clamp it. Be careful not to damage the metal pipe when butchering.

It'll be a fiddly job normally as there's not a lot of surrounding space.

Thanks mate, just the type of answer I was hoping for.
As you said there's normally not a lot of surround space, then I've also mounted the secondary fuel pump there and got the strut braces, so there's even less now!

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:19 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

NP. IIRC, I got mine off by carefully cutting it with a hacksaw blade, then using a screwdriver blade to split it, and pull the plastic surround off.
As I say, be careful not to cut into the collar that goes around the pipe, as this will seal and hold the rubber hose on when you fit it.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]