Fordmods Logo

Please help, XH serpentine set up questions 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Please help, XH serpentine set up questions
Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:01 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EA, EB GT kit, AU XR6 HP engine

QLD, Australia

Hey everyone, I've got a serpentine set up on my AU engine with an EB log manifold. We took the aircon off and got a smaller belt, then turned the tensioner upside down. This works, but the belt doesn't have enough pull from the balancer.

BenJ has told me that the XH utes had a serpentine set up with the log manifold.

My question is:

If I get an XH belt tensioner (so the belt clears the throttle body), an XH aircon compressor bracket and an XH aircon compressor, will all of this bolt up to my AU engine and essentially work like the XH does?

One more question, is the XH aircon compressor the same as any other compressor? I have an AU, an EA and an EB.... I know the EA runs a 4PK belt and the EB I'm not sure. The XH compressor must fit a 6PK belt OR an AU compressor has to fit on....

Last question...... Anyone know of an XH wreck in QLD or anywhere near you? If it's near you, I'd deposit cash into your account and some extra for you to pick these parts up for me, plus I'd pay you for postage....

I desperately need this fixed.

Thanks to BenJ and anyone else that has helped....

I could do the BBM conversion as I have the parts, but I don't want to F it up. If anyone is in south east QLD and can 100% definitely do the BBM conversion, I could pay you to do that, I'd give you a hand also.

Up in the air about this....

Thanks in advance.

EA Fairmont, EB GT kit w/o wing, AU XR6 HP engine, 17's lol Buy it
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0628130825

Post subject: Re: Please help, XH serpentine set up questions
Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED Pwnage Pwr!!

SA, Australia

You'll need the EA/EB/ED mounting bracket and then an EF/EL air con pump.

The XH tensioners are rare as rocking horse s**t, I got mine off ebay for $200 brand new with a belt, not cheap I know but at least you know its a decent dayco unit.

If you find one make sure its off JUST an XH, not an XH XR6 they have a bbm and have the same tensioner as EF/EL/AU

Adelaide Motorplex < Click on it! You know you want too!
ED HP AU XR6, Wade, T5, and all the usual stuff!

Quote:
Thats not the point *a**hole

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

Not to hijack this post, or muddy the waters anymore than required, but I have an XH, with the log manifold, and I have replaced the tensioner (it failed) with one from an EL. It was exactly the same. I have since fitted an EL hybrid engine, and the XH A/C pump bolted straight to the block, with no bracket needed. I have since replaced the pulleys on the original XH tensioner, and refitted it (the EL one was noisy - dont leave them out in the weather) with no problems at all.
If the XH tensioner is different, wouldnt the length of the serpentine belt be different?
Not trying to argue or confuse - just trying to help. :D

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:04 am 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

4LEDboy wrote:
You'll need the EA/EB/ED mounting bracket and then an EF/EL air con pump.

The XH tensioners are rare as rocking horse s**t, I got mine off ebay for $200 brand new with a belt, not cheap I know but at least you know its a decent dayco unit.

If you find one make sure its off JUST an XH, not an XH XR6 they have a bbm and have the same tensioner as EF/EL/AU

OK mate, I have an EA bracket here. Anyone know how much I could pick up a shagged compressor for? I don't need it to work, just to have a pully on it.

Scooty, are you 100% sure they are the same tensioner mate? If so, I could do this myself pretty easy if I got the parts.

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I laid them on top of each other, side by side, end to end, etc. Identical in every way. BUT, i have no idea if either one is a genuine XH or EL part, as I didnt buy the ute new, and the EL was an old taxi, so god only knows...
All I know is they fit fine, and are nowhere near the throttle body or anything else. If you have an EL one, maybe try it and see....
I may have an EF/EL A/C pump somewhere, but it would be a while before I could go look. Most of my stuff is not at home, out at the farm, with all the other parts cars.... :D

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:21 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

sooty72 wrote:
If the XH tensioner is different, wouldnt the length of the serpentine belt be different? Not trying to argue or confuse - just trying to help.
And that's fair enough to bring up.
XH 2405mm, EF/EL 2370mm lengths from memory.
You might of picked up unbeknown another XH tensioner. The upper pulley definitely sits higher for the belt to clear the LHS of the assy, with the upper support being different from the EF/EL one. I 'think' the lower pulley and support are the same.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

That's cool. When you use 2nd hand stuff, I suppose you can never be 100% sure what you are getting.
2nd question regarding the belt length. If the XH belt is longer, but you use the EL tensioner, would that cause any problems? Would it allow the tensioner to now clear the t/b? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? :?

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

I'd say the tensioner markings would be on the fully slackest spot, belt may be too slack still.
Why don't you stick with the std XH setup, since you're running the log manifold?

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:30 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: toyo,2ea,3eb,1ef,1el,zh

QLD, Australia

wreckers on noosa rd at gympie have got a xh ute in there--had complete motor & setup still there last week

Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:03 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

xcbest wrote:
wreckers on noosa rd at gympie have got a xh ute in there--had complete motor & setup still there last week

The one over the back near monkland? Thanks HEAPS man!

I'll give them a ring.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]