plz help!!!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: plz help!!!!
Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1992 eb fairmont classic

NSW, Australia

hey fellas got a 92 eb fairmont i gave it a service less the 500 kms ago and whenever the temp starts to move up it looses oil pressure its dual fuel and runs alright just worried bout the oil pressure any help?????????????????

Post subject: Re: plz help!!!!
Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: bf xr6 and xr fg 50th anniversay

NSW, Australia

you might have a loose earth somewere or you are running the wrong oil

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

its only as the car starts to warm up coz the oil gets thinner its got castrol gtx3 modern engine in it which my mate who is a top mechanic has recomended for it the only place its leaking oil from the the back of the sump near the bell housing and its barely even a drip i dnt know what it could be but when the oil pressure drops it starts getting that really loud ticking sound from the tappids but more then usuall so thinkin maybe a gallerie might be blocked or something????

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: bf xr6 and xr fg 50th anniversay

NSW, Australia

you needto get your oil pump checked by putting on a machanical oil gauge and see what presser you are geting it might be the pump or you have two much clearance in the oil jerals

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:03 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

might have to get the pump checked out cos it was fine a few months ago not long started doing it a month or 2 ago its got a bit over 220,000 ks on the clock

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:04 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

might have to get the pump checked out cos it was fine a few months ago not long started doing it a month or 2 ago its got a bit over 220,000 ks on the clock

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

I had some issues with tapping lifters and a nice bottom end knock for a few seconds at startup when using a 20w50 oil, I found Nulon 15w40 stopped that.

As for your blockage suspicion, head to supercheap or repco, and buy 2 5lts of cheap (read CHEAP) oil, 3 filters, 6lts of 15w40, and spend some money on 2 bottles of engine flush.
Get a german made engine cleaning product, go shopping for it, read packages, and youll find a really good one. I think Sonax was the brand of the one I got. It was that good, theres a shiny spot on my rail under the oil fill hole just from where i poured the bottles in!
Do 2 of the engine flushes with then cheap oil and a new filter each round too. Follow the instructions and give it the full 20 minute idle or whatever.
Then a final drain, filter swap and fill with the good oil.

If you shop right it should cost 120 or so for parts, but this will free up your engine quite well.

The drip from the bellhousing is most likely a rear main seal, mines starting to get faster of late and leaves a nice 5-7 drip patch.

As a final note too, I tried some 10w40 oil and found when the engine heated up I could hear a nice rattle from the top front area of the head.

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

thanks for the advice mate ill try a flush and some thin oil to clear it out a bit but it only looses oil pressure when it gets warm then when the car is at opperating temp the oil pressure drops to almost NONE and rattles like a b**ch ill try the cheaper option firts buy flushing it if not looks like all have to try a new oil pump maybee??? i was a apprentice mechanic but never came across anything like this the rear main was reaplace when i had the rear welche plug reapaired its leaking from the back of the sump i just cant be bothered getting under there and tightening it up lol

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

Yeah, I just used home-brand 20w50 for the flushes.

For the rattling at warmth, check what weight the GTX3 is, it seems fords just love 15w40. 10 is too thin at op temp, and 20 is too thick for startup.

Hope it isnt, but thats a good thought it may be the oil pump...

and thats good it isnt rear main... Im regretting not changing mine when i converted to manual....

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:45 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

pretty sure the oil in it is 10-40w gtx3 modern engine its only started doing it over the last month or so it was fine for the first few days after i changed the oil now its gone to s**t again and the loud ticking noise may be cos the oil is to thin on the stainless steel valves cos its on gas also but i found the oil pressure doesnt drop as quick when its running on fuel not gas!.. but ill give the flush ago when i get some more money and how hard is it to convert to manual im not to sure on it cos i still got the big clutch fan for the radiator and doesnt cut in as ofter as it should really want a 5 speed for it

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

My eb LOVES nulon 15w40. I have castrol gtx in it now and it has some chain rattle and fairly poor startups. Don't think it willl be in there for long.

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

there's your problem. GTX is s**t. and 220,000km EB with 15w40? please. way to thin, especially if it's been on gas.

i run Penrite 15w60 in my EB. keeps the thinkness up when it warms up. but still thin for the cold startups

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:26 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

more than likely the low oil pressure when warm is a mix of a warn bottom end and to thin of oil...
the only option is to use a higher viscosity oil, unfortunatly its a band aid fix as its only going to get worse as time goes by...

my old original ea engine was like this, i started using penrite hpr 40 which is a 25w 70 oil..
the engine lasted another year of being thrashed before the bottom end started to let go...

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

the old 3.9 in the eb i used 25w60. and flogged it hard for the next 12 months. bottom end was noisy, ask ToranaGuy, but it was still running when i pulled it out for the Tickford 6

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:52 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
more than likely the low oil pressure when warm is a mix of a warn bottom end and to thin of oil...
the only option is to use a higher viscosity oil, unfortunatly its a band aid fix as its only going to get worse as time goes by...

my old original ea engine was like this, i started using penrite hpr 40 which is a 25w 70 oil..
the engine lasted another year of being thrashed before the bottom end started to let go...

i was hoping it wouldnt be the bottom end i had a feeling it could be the oil pump? not sure how long they last but thanks bearings arent hard to replace i could do them myself think i might get it checked out asap tho

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]