Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

bumpage

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Last edited by EL__Fairmont on Fri May 09, 2008 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

What brand pod filter? Hows it flow?

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:03 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 13.41 @ 102mph

QLD, Australia

And you,ll be lovin that sound now Eh ??? :twisted:

i am a banned wanker!

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

unless the pod is sealed and completely blocked off from the engine bay then its not going to work like you hope it will.

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
unless the pod is sealed and completely blocked off from the engine bay then its not going to work like you hope it will.

depends on what he hopes for really. it will actually have better response under higher rpm wot aplications because the box is restrictive once you try to pull large volumes of air in a hurry. whack a pressure sensor in your airbox and go for a hoon. That heat shield should keep the heat away from the filter, probably better than the box since it will feed air from the headlights yet keep the radiant heat from the engine away. i know after a few hours of driving my airbox is red hot. you can see he has moulded it to the underside of the bonnet, and used rubber seal to keep it sealed from the heat. often contemplated of how to do away with it and still keep it legal. should come up with a custom box moulded to that section of the bay that seals up to just behind the headlight/grill. only drawback would be removal of the box to do the headlight if needed, but i do that anyway coz i cant fit my arm down there comfortably anyway.

good to see the spirit of inovation alive an well.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

More Grunt wrote:
FordFairmont wrote:

That heat shield should keep the heat away from the filter, probably better than the box

Believe it or not, but "heated air" isnt a big scary monster that gets dettered by a wall of acrylic. It actually is very tiny and will seap into all the openings around the wall and eventually cause similar temps as the rest of the engine bay :)

Quote:
good to see the spirit of inovation alive an well.

I very much agree with that, and am looking forward to the finished state of this project, and hopefully will see some good results

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

im not sure mate, if the engine is running the pod will draw air thru the grill and headlight aperture, causing an inward draft from front to back. the back is the only place any heatsoak can occur (over the bump for the wheel arch where the top of the strut sticks out), so combined the draft of the intake and air draft while moving, i really dont think a lot of heat will ever get in there since there is a stream of cooler denser air forcing it away. hot air is too light to compete with a stream of cold air. as el__fairmont has testified, the induction side of the shield was cool after 1 hr of operation. would be worthwhile taking the test further to fully realise any benefit it may produce. like say a 5 hour trip in summer with an electric thermometer taped to the inside under the pod filter to record temps along the way.

Im backing a positive result.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

More Grunt wrote:
as el__fairmont has testified, the induction side of the shield was cool after 1 hr of operation

like you said, measuring temps with a therometer, preferbly just inside the pod to see the actual temp of whats been gathered, is a good way to see results and chech for possible improvments.

Post subject: Re: Pod filter heat Shield installed! Better than boxed!!!!
Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

EL__Fairmont wrote:
Got bored today so I finally installed a heat shield for a pod filter intake on an EL falcon. Cut out a carboard template first then used some 6mm clear acrylic for the shield material.

Works alot better than having the pod in the factory box or just left out in the open. Drove for about 1 hr and the pod side of the shield isn't hot at all. The other side is a different story, could feel the heat on my hand as soon as I dropped it down on the engine side of the shield.

Pics.......enjoy.............

remarks, comments welcome!!!!!

You could get rid of that restrictive plastic airtube, where it acts like a venturi where you've joined your pod on, the rubber adaptor bit.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

The shield is also stopping the hot air blowing from the passenger side Thermo Fan saturating the pod and causing it to become heat soaked.

If you have an EF/EL get the car to operating temp, pop the bonnet while engine is at idle. Now carefully put your hand down below the top radiator hose. You will see what i mean, especially if you have the a/c set on max and the thermo's are running at high speed.

Cheers...

PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

dazzler351 wrote:
And you,ll be lovin that sound now Eh ??? :twisted:

Yeah, it's alot louder , the induction noise is addictive. When the pod was in the box it was nearly as quiet as a panel filter.

:lol:

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

twr7cx wrote:

1) Just a cheapie from autobarn, got a Filthy Dirty 3A racing Pod to go on at a later date. I am just waiting on getting my cleaning kit back of my brother.

2) It flows very good for the price I paid, revs right out with no hesitation. It performs better then when I had the 3A racing one in the sealed airbox. And the 3A racing one is suppose to outflow most.

This result would be due to the larger area the pod has to suck air from now with just the heat shield inplace. It's not getting suffocated anymore at high rpm.

Cheers...

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

EL__Fairmont wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

1) Just a cheapie from autobarn, got a Filthy Dirty 3A racing Pod to go on at a later date. I am just waiting on getting my cleaning kit back of my brother.

2) It flows very good for the price I paid, revs right out with no hesitation. It performs better then when I had the 3A racing one in the sealed airbox. And the 3A racing one is suppose to outflow most.

This result would be due to the larger area the pod has to suck air from now with just the heat shield inplace. It's not getting suffocated anymore at high rpm.

Cheers...

that would be due to not suffering from vaccuum pressure drop anymore. As the revs sharply increase so does the volume of air required through the snorkle and airbox, which are not large enough to cope with said volume. so it ends up with massive vaccuum inside the airbox as the engines demand outstrips supply. This retards how fast the revs can climb, since it can only climb as the air comes in to increase rpm. the potential is a lot higher than the factory equipment.

Its a great setup mate. with some R&D and improved materials and construction, could be onto something.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:55 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: fairmont ghia

WA, Australia

G&D performance have the inclosed cai for the ba's and i think the au's as well... there gaining masive gains also. i have emailed them a few times to see if the e series are on drawing board and they said hopefully soon. but at roughly $600 i think it was they dont come cheap. but good things usally dont!

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Could you make 2 of those shields, with insulation between them? That would cut out the talk of the shield heatsoaking.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next