Fordmods Logo

pod filter LPG question 

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Any sorta changes and often I'll need to get my system retuned or else it'll run like a dog or in worse car back fire. Just to add the Tickford snorkel and K&N pannel filter I had to have it retuned, so it wouldn't suprise me if you'd have to aswell, but it may be dependent on what type of system you run...

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

I had a pod filter on it, basically when the LPG backfired it ate most of the airfilter (although was a cheaper one testing it).

You can run it, but LPG loves Cold Air;- so the colder the better and unless you want to box it properly/have it sealed it'll just suck hot air and is no point of having it there at all.

I got a sequential scoop the other day and will be running a pod underneath is as it'll be sucking cold air from up top.

It only backfires if your running to lean and some cases to rich, if it is probably best to get it tuned properly by someone who knows what their doing and i will most definately say GET some spiral core ignition leads (eagle f1 or queensland ignition leads 9mm+) and some iridium plugs as well .. major improvement for the gas systems.

With a K&N or Redline Filter you'll notice the difference from a stock about 3-5rwkw difference so invest in decent leads+plugs+airfilter and a good tune and your right :P

oh and i hav ebeen thru 3 airboxed, 3 intakes and dunno how many cheapo panel filters LOL

I suggest th Redline panel filter as the rubber surround is metal lined so if it backfires it wont rip it like a k&n

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Yeah na i wouldnt worry about the pod filter mate!!! As you have heard backfiring can happen and its not cool, especially when your out in a carpark with people walking past too!!! :lol:

Damn that would have to scare the crap outta them :shock:

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NC II Fairlane

NSW, Australia

edfairmint wrote:
My gas system wont change from petrol to gas, you just gotta have it on gas to start with because if you change it petrol to gas it stalls, gas to petrol is fine but. Never even noticed backfiring.
So is getting car tuned again with pod on goin to help stop such a thing happenin. And when you do say how flames shoot out and big bangs on pod etc, is this just like, rare occasions or like any time your on a norm gas cruise?

u cant start on petrol ? that must take some time starting then.

getting a tune wont really do much,u just have to remember not to switch fuels underload otherwise bang.

ive had a pod on my fairlane 6 cyl gas and it has only ever backfired once when i got the lpg system installed and didnt know not to use excelarater when starting.

how old is ur lpg system?

cheers

"Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You don't stare at it. It's too risky. You get a sense of it and then you look away."

Now with el thermos fitted.

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:26 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 87 XF Ghia

WA, Australia

Hi Guys,

I think the guy might have been reasonably correct with the retuning talk.

I your filter is a bit restrictive to start with, the LPG mixer will have more of a draw across it, and will be tuned as such.
If you fit a free flowing filter to it you lose some of that draw and run lean, so you may need to richen it up a little.
You'll still come back to a proper mixture (not rich) but you will compensate for the changed pressure drop across the mixer.

Quote:
My Zl must've backfired at least 50 times since i've owned it.... always screws the AFM... the money i spent on those

Why don't you guys go straight gas. My XF has not backfired in about three years, and I p****d off the airflow meter. Naturally I have to start on gas. Just make sure the ignition system is in good order and like FUZION said - get some quality leads.

mike

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:38 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 87 XF Ghia

WA, Australia

But surely your gonna put the new one on gas - I couldn't afford to run one on petrol ?

Mike

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

mikejh wrote:
Hi Guys,

I think the guy might have been reasonably correct with the retuning talk.

I your filter is a bit restrictive to start with, the LPG mixer will have more of a draw across it, and will be tuned as such.
If you fit a free flowing filter to it you lose some of that draw and run lean, so you may need to richen it up a little.
You'll still come back to a proper mixture (not rich) but you will compensate for the changed pressure drop across the mixer.

Quote:
My Zl must've backfired at least 50 times since i've owned it.... always screws the AFM... the money i spent on those

Why don't you guys go straight gas. My XF has not backfired in about three years, and I p****d off the airflow meter. Naturally I have to start on gas. Just make sure the ignition system is in good order and like FUZION said - get some quality leads.

mike

thanks for heads up ... lol

My car has backfired so many times its not funny, as i said get it RETUNED and looked at by someone who knows what the f**k their talking about and doing! A lot of people claim they can do it and still get it incredibly wrong! and yes i agree.. straight gas al the way!

In Sydney, try Joe @ Crescent Motorsports as he's done mine and its working perfectly now. Simple things on a lot of systems including vacuum leaks and split rubbers on t/b etc sucking in air also will cause backfires. Bad leads, bad plugs, stuffed diaphram on impcos for example too.

Im running straight gas on my ef with a custom lpg grind of wade stage2 for lpg with extractors/exhaust and 3.45lsd on manual and i have no problems so far .. touch wood! lol

Post subject: Here's the deal
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED WotGLI

SA, Australia

I've blown a pod filter on my gas ED. Gas cars are netorious for backfiring. E series fords on gas are said to backfire once every 8 months. All that happens is that there is a ring of mesh on the filter that has no paper left. There is no real risk of anything bad happening as your normal airbox loses clips, splits and stuffs up itself when a car backfires.

My advise to you is put your pod on the end of the elbow pipe (if you have a tickford system, there should be some more piping on your throtle body DON'T REMOVE THIS :D). When you remove the airbox there is 2 holes on the bottom of your engine bay. If you don't want to scoop the bonnet then these holes should give you adequite cold air.

I've made a shield for my pod that goes straight over the top of the filter forcing the intake to pull air from underneith the car. I am planning to vent the bonnet some time this year though, as the roads were freaken hot this summer.

I tell you, the growl you get from the front of those engines is awsome. Best engine note i've heard!!!

I don't hate holdens. They're a fine car. I just hate holden drivers.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2