Fordmods Logo

pods vs panel 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: pods vs panel
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

just wondering, what do you people think about pods in the stock air box?? is a quality panel filter better than a pod? or would a heat shielded, cold air inducted pod be better?

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

WA, Australia

pod will always be better if set up properly, ie heat sheilded.

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:58 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: '98 EL XR8

NT, Australia

The pod is great... like said, if set up in the correct place... Ford didn't leave a whole lot of room in the engine bay for a pod to be installed in direct fresh airflow. If you install it without it suckin in fresh air, watch your fuel consumption go up a bit.

Maybe install a air scoop near/above the pod??? Been thinkin about it... :idea:

Anyhoo... no real gains in power once installed, sounds cool @ 2am though!!! lol :lol:

I'd prolly go with a K&N panel filter for the standard box, I rekon it would be the best.

Here are some ways I have installed my pod filter....

My first attempt to mount it, straight of the ducting, removed the airbox...

Second attempt, bought a 2nd duct from a wrecker and some piping, mounted it behind the firewall where the windsheild washer bottle would go. (Yes, my fuel rail is polished)

"...we can rebuild him, we have the technology... we just dont want to spend a lot of money."
SIX MILLION PESO FALCON

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:31 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

mmm thats a nice idea!
i think u will still be sucking in hot air the nest idea is to use the setup from the first pic and add some heatsheilding verticalll on the left side of the pod on the4 chassis rail up anbd sealling agains bonnet( looking from the pic ) then add an AU xr8 s3 tickford snorkel through this sheild to pipe cold air to it
i wish i had a pic to explain but i dont.

ps i pod will allow more airflow over a panel for the fact there is more surface area in the pod filter than the panel

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

you should get a snorkel up the side of yer windscreen if you want clean fresh air... might look a bit "out-there" though!! :mrgreen:

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

The first thing you should work out is if you need a different filter at all! Refering to many autospeed articals where they found that removing the factory filter entirely made little or no difference to the pressure in the inlet manifold.
Most of the time it's the airbox itself, However if you convert to a pod filter that is sucking in hot air your much more likely to deacrease power rather than increase! Plus you might like to think about what happens in heavy rain or through puddles or dust etc. So go ahead but make sure it is done properly.

Can anyone who has tested with a temp probe/and or pressure sensor or Dyno figures confirm what gains can be made to the intake?

Lukieman: You intake looks like it will absorb alot of heat and be more restrictive than the 1st intake. Running right along the length of your engine and using convoluted tubing, also the top rear of your engine bay is probabily the hottest!

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:22 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

I say unless you've got a very high breathing engine (cam/head work etc.) just go a K&N panel filter and the XR8 snorkel. That's waht I've done, and in two stages, panel first, not only I, but other drivers noticed the difference in throttle response. Then I added the snorkel (and for $35 why not), again both myself and other drivers noticed the change (two of these other drivers were tested 'blind' so to speak, they had no idea I'd changed anything.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

OK this is probably the 6,254,498 time this topic has come up on this site. Like everyone has said before on N/A- 4.0Litre 6 Cyl, Pod usually gives more noise and no more power gains and if fitted without a heat shield or not in the Airbox can have a negative power effect. I have tried a POD setup in my Airbox and it was all perfectly encapulated in it and all. But in the end I didnt get the desired extra power I thought I could get over a K&N Panel filter. So went back to the Panel Filter and have been happier ever since.

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 220kw 1600 Datto

WA, Australia

Im in the process of a pod filter set up
ss induction, air box and a pod. But i chopped the top of the lid off and am trying to source a sequential scoop to ram air into the boz aswell
im goin to seal the open air box to the bonnet when closed.

evebn now, with the open air box, it seems to go a lil better over the KnN pannel

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

SVO XR6 wrote:
evebn now, with the open air box, it seems to go a lil better over the KnN pannel

you noticing a difference already johno? how are you going about sealing the box in? remi is talking about making a custom box out of perspex to contain the pod etc - maybe worth a look?

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

looked into it, but why not work with what i already got?

i did something simular on my EA.
Im goin to use a bit a foam, i think its aircon foam.

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:46 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

nah i meant to extend the top of yours - i.e keep what you've got there, but work with a perspex mould maybe to figure out what would be best to fit in with the sequential scoop?

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

yeah, you got it
just use some plasctic sheet s**t

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:21 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Falcon Futura

NSW, Australia

hey, just a question, does anyone have a pic of where the au xr8 snorkel goes??, like, im assuming it goes from the airbox or something, and then out to where??

if anyone has the, pics of where it gets attatched to the intake, and where the opening for cold air intake is, would be great, it sounds like a cheap, easy mod, wouldnt mind looking into it on account of the new sports exhaust is going on the car on the 4th, so a bit of help either side of the motor would be great!

ive noticed once thing about the throttle reponse in the el, when the air filters in, it lags a lil bit, take it out, its almost instant, also the increase in power at lower speeds is noticable, and when u tap the accelerator to 1/4 on grass and have to use the brakes to stop it spinning, then u notice.

with the filter in(the standard, crappy air flow, pieca s**t airfilter)when u knock to throttle to 1/4 and hold it, and wait a bit for spin, by which time the cars already driven 3-5 meters, u notice.

thanks again, and best be off.

oh one more thing, my mother refuses to believe that a new sports exhaust(as apposed to the colapsed original exhaust thats on the el atm), can someone please tell her that it will reduce fuel consumption.

thanks...bya!

mods to my laser:
vortex fuel.....seriously, its quicker than mums falcon, well, at stalling anyway....oh she does alright burnouts tho, will post a picture soon enough....screw flanders!!

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

the snorkel is self-explanitary - open the bonnet and you'll see where it has to go! :wink: replace the existing one with the AU one! it connects to the airbox to allow airflow!

R.I.P. Scotty

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next