Fordmods Logo

Poor traction in falcons 

Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:57 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

I think the wagons and LWB fairlanes etc don't suffer as much as the swb cars with the coal cartl leaf spring rear axle.

I certainly don't have any problems in the dry in a straight line at all ever.

Stalling it up thats different. Right hand turns a little of a problem occasionally but right hand turns up a hill I can almost start rolling backwards down the hill if i am not careful. It's not the power or the tyres its just the live rear axle and the roll weight transfer unloading the wheel.

Slow and steady does it in the wagon its not a race car!

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

jonbays wrote:
...Slow and steady does it in the wagon its not a race car!

Yes it is! :lol:
Is the wagon ss or lsd?

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

i have 2 sets of 17in wheels, one set has sava 'intensa tyres' (235x45x17).
i can chirp these in second on a dry day.
the other set i have (i can't think of the name) have 2x 235's on the front and 255's on the rear.
i can SMOKE these in second in a straight line, in the dry.
my car has no internal mods done to the engine.
I also used to have a set of 15in wheels with bridgestone turanza 225/60/15, and i could never chirp these in second in a straight line.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:59 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Falcon Futura

NSW, Australia

yeah, love this post, ive found the falcon has zero traction in the rear end when you give it about half throttle or more and when its wet, but it holds reasonably well when you go round a corner in the wet, and its not under power.

i drove all of about 10km to the cinemas the other day, the car was dead cold, when its cold it is jumpy and tries to stall alot, but no s**t, i spun it upon almost every corner, just knocked it 1/2way, never revved over 2500rpm, and it still spun for a good 4 or 5 secs.

even with 4 of us in the car, a full tank of fuel and my 2 mates in the back, it still spun easy as.

one thing that worried me was, i was coming around this corner onto a reasonably busy road, but with more than enough time to get out into it, i turned it over and put it on 2100rpm, the tail end drifted right out across the second lane, its only got a standard diff on it, and it still slid do easily, basically boys and girls, if u wanna race your car, or corner hard, modify it, cos theyre s**t standard.

uh, yeah, thats my story lol.

cya!!!!

mods to my laser:
vortex fuel.....seriously, its quicker than mums falcon, well, at stalling anyway....oh she does alright burnouts tho, will post a picture soon enough....screw flanders!!

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Falcon Futura

NSW, Australia

Jaysen wrote:
smokin is always super fun, so thats why Im gunna opt for the more sportier setup at a comprimise of take off traction. Theres nothing like the smell of burning rubber :twisted:

i agree totally with you, nothing is like the smell of burning rubber!!!!

and my family looks weird at me cos i can walk outside and say "i smell....*sniffs*.....burnouts!!!!"

after the summernats, u will never forget the smell of it lool.

oh the falcon is gunna get a new stereo setup, a new diff (lsd if i have my way), a cat back lukey exhaust sytem (straight through pipe(up to the last muffler) and a hotdog on the end).

if i get some spare money after that its going to the muffler center for some jmm extractors and a high flow cat lool, ive been told to expect somewhere around 136-140rwkw, depending on the diff.

so im excited lol

mods to my laser:
vortex fuel.....seriously, its quicker than mums falcon, well, at stalling anyway....oh she does alright burnouts tho, will post a picture soon enough....screw flanders!!

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:49 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Daniel wrote:
jonbays wrote:

Is the wagon ss or lsd?

Daniel,

The Fairmont wagon has 3.23 SS with traction control.

P.S. I love your Fairlane thats a very nice ride. I remember when they came out I even kept a road test on it but they were like $60k when new!

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EBXR6

QLD, Australia

Ben_Daui wrote:
as for rims cracking,tyres blowing out on pot holes (a)were these huge a** pot holes u cant avoid? (b)cheap tyre/rim combo? (c) too much weight on rims? my rims are worth about$3500-$4000 brand new a set without rubber tyres cost me a set $1060 tyres last me a good long time i have taken these rims of my old 6 & put them on 2 me v8 within the 14months ive owned tha rims i have only replaced 1 tyre due 2 puncture on inside tyre wall

i hit it late at night on a narrow road so i had to put to tires in the dirt to make room for the other guy. there was a pot hole just off the road nice and deep the tyre fell in but the rim and tyre wall were shreaded on the drop off from the bitumin. the mags were stock EB xr mags.

lesbian nazi hookers abducted by aliens and forced in to weight loss programs..... the turtle is natures suction cap.....

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

My tyres are just askin to be fried.... I don't get it... :roll:

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

jonbays wrote:
Daniel wrote:
jonbays wrote:

Is the wagon ss or lsd?

Daniel,

The Fairmont wagon has 3.23 SS with traction control.

P.S. I love your Fairlane thats a very nice ride. I remember when they came out I even kept a road test on it but they were like $60k when new!

HAHA, more like 70k+ :shock: 8-)
What do you mean by kept e road test?

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Since I spent $1300 on 4 tyres i dont have a traction problem off the line...still get a bit sideways gunnin it round corners WITH LSD but thats cause some of my bushes are worn :wink:

The kumhos i have now are awesome for grip especially in the wet.

But a bastard when I try to get the wheels goin at a standstill in the auto they just doin wanna smoke :cry: its gay....

But anyhow theres my 2 cents .... oh see Mark at ITS he can put you in a LSD diff for $750 (not sure if that was fitted price or just supplied)....good set of tyres...as your suspension setup sounds nice enough

Cheers
Kev

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

going to lsd made huge improvement in dry conditions for my stock powered au. putting in 3.89's at the same time negated that effect come rain time :D

you can corner and rev its guts out in the dry and she just hangs in gets a little understeery as the back grips and pushes as each side gives way and grabs, but once you no its there that light as a feather falcon rack keeps it under control.

its a custom setup lsd, dont know the details, but the last owner had it rebuilt for his ef, and all i was told was its "F**k tight".

enough isn't enough

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

NSW, Australia

F**k it must be tight, i had mine done to 160nm (up from the stock 90) and i can still get singles out of it. Then again the guy that rebuilt and did the ratio in mine was a d**k so it really means diddly squat. What was supuose to be a two day job took him two weeks so i had to buy another diff in the mean time too get me through. Mind you that was about five years ago now and he is no long in business, Hmm wonder why. Oh yeah anyway umm Lsd's yeah they rock.

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

LSD was the best thing i did for traction in my car, i can stomp it at the line and only get a little bit of spin then it grabs an shoots off.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:35 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: R33

Power: 142 rwkw

NSW, Australia

probs my next mod an LSD, i got 215s on my standard 15' classic wheels.. in the wet its down right dangerous it just slides around corners, and there soft compound tyres.. and way to easy in the dry to do 2nd gear burnouts up the street.

R33 GTS-T - 222.6rwkw
EF - 142rwkw

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 08 BF MK11 Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

try short shifting in to corners, take off in 1st and change into 2nd at like 1500-2000 rpm

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next