Fordmods Logo

Poor traction in falcons 

Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

my AU XR6 stock does something similair to what you said hyena..... it seems to like to slide when little bit of accelration... even taking of fast and changing from 1st to 2nd it breaks traction... must be the suspension setup

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: VY Commodore Wagon Accli

VIC, Australia

fordness wrote:
im pretty sure the vt's came out with traction control. Thats why he beat you around corners.

100% correct. My mate at work hates it because he can't do skids around corners in his "fully sick ls1 V8", so he disconnected it . Apparently it's at the gearbox.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 5spd EF

Check the last post on the other page 'Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:59 pm' haha

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 08 BF MK11 Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

i dont get it, is that ment to e funny? lol

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:25 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF Futura

VIC, Australia

I had massive traction problems when the car was stock. Dunlop Monzas on the stockies. No burnouts or stupid s**t, so the tyres weren't worn badly. I could barely get up Punt Rd in the wet. It was actually a challenge to stop it from breaking traction.

I lost the backend going around a sloped corner in the wet one night. I wasn't driving like a d***head or anything, it's a right hand turn on a considerable incline and the backend just washed straight out. I did take the corner at a normal 'dry weather' speed because I had some f**k tailgating me (It was raining and I was doing the speed limit). I didn't take the corner at a speed I would consider unsafe but I only just managed to keep the car on the road and out of oncoming traffic.

After that I decided that the car was not handling as it should and that I had to do something about it. I lowered it, king supers, put 17 x 7.5" wheels on it with Regal premium tyres and there was a huge improvement.

Mine is an auto and I'm not out trying to hammer corners and s**t like that but I went from having to take off with wheel spin in mind even in regular driving to being completely unable to break traction in a straight line. The tyres are getting on a bit now and they spin a bit now but I have to try to do it and it still feels very sticky in the wet.

This probably won't solve all of your problems if you're trying to race around corners or whatever but, like I said, it has made a huge difference to the traction problems I had with my driving.

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

When i got my suspension setup it did help s**t loads in wet and around corners but didn't really help in straight line. It would still smoke em up straight away if you tried to boot it at the lights, you had to ease the peddle to WOT, to get it off the line proply, but now with LSD it just grabs and goes.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

it's also a balance thing. the lowest end of the car will always handle better than the opposite & given the shady suspension in the e series & heavy engine weight it's usually 9/10 falcons getting on are all sitting lower at the front that the rear.

doesn't have to be too fast n furious arab scud launching 4 inch difference... even 20mm makes a huge difference on balance.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

For extra traction you can also get a towbar fitted, put the battery in the boot, and run a spare wheel that's heavy.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

My ef ghia has an lsd and its great in the dry, bit i can't see an advantage in the wet.

I can hardly get traction off the lights if i give it even 1/2 throttle, and going around corners in the wet gets you very very sideways. Atleast u can keep it straight in a single spinner.

Im running very crap tyres at the moment, maybe it will improve when i get new tyres.

Also, keep it in economy in the wet(def no shift kit)..sudden down shifts are very dangerous!! i hit a gutter with my old el when it downshifted and broke traction around a bend.

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: AU XR6

Power: 171 rwkw

NSW, Australia

all this talk of diffs be they open or lsd. It's all crap if you ask me, yes an lsd will give you better traction under some circumstances but the biggest problem is your right foot if you learnt some throttle control and realized it's more than just an on/off switch you may give yourselves half a chane at controling your taxi packs. Once you practice you can take off just as well without an lsd.

Just remember it's not the car that stuffed up and put you in the gutter/tele pole/ditch it was the goose in the drivers seat!!!!

9/98 AU1 XR6hp-about to retire from the road and be reborn on the race track.
86 ZL mint grandpa spec with premo sound and 150000km
07 TTG 60000km stock as, mods to come.
97 el futura about to be MOCKed

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4