Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Poor traction in falcons
Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

RWKW and tyres aside, what is it that makes falcon traction so poor ? Suspension set up ?
I don't know if it's just limited to my car, but I've been in a few mates cars and run them on the street before and those with similar or more power don't seem to have half the traction problems I do. Making a right hand turn out of my street if I take of any more than just lightly the wheels will start spinning and/or flick the tail end out. A mate with a new manual SS pulled out and booted it with no traction problems at all :cry:
And another mate with a non-stock VR 5l manual (equally as quick as mine was before the new motor) can slam his hard into 2nd where mine wheelspins if I do the same thing. I know it's a totally different kettle of fish, but then I saw an old 80s MR2 run an 11 or 12 second quarter with skinny little average looking road tyres. It sh*ts me!

At the moment I'm running 235 dunlop formula W10s on the back and before that had bridgestone SO2s, so not the worst tyres in the world.

I'm fitting a LSD shortly and so new (probably 245) rubber, hopefully this will help the situation...

Anyone got any ideas for other solutions ?

ImageImage

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:27 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

yes the lsd can help traction BIG time

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

LSD should help you get power down a fair bit, other than that of course if you accel. around corners in a single spinner it will spin, definetly going right! :oops: i rem. some smoke shows ive done in the old Fairlane doing u turns n turning right into street, people dont expect it but its more the lack of lsd than than the power imho when turning.
Being manual you should be at least chirping into 2nd with decent-good-great power if not into 3rd; however if its such a prob that you have to baby it then i say im not sure.
Anyone else can say something, i dont have any experience in manual fords, only driven 2 for like total 1.5hrs not really changing gears lol. :roll:

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 220kw 1600 Datto

WA, Australia

Get your self some P0's and a set of konis :D

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:47 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Fairlane

QLD, Australia

Dont expect the lsd to get rid of it totally. Ive got lsd in mine, and 255's on the rear, and still have traction issues. 1st - 2nd chirps (in the dry), and generally try to avoid hard shifting in the wet. What I don find great though, in the wet, going slowly over speed humps in second, is to plant the foot, wait till the revs hit around 3grand, and watch the speedo go nuts :P Seems to happen in line with when the bbm butterfly switches. Great induction noise too lol Get strange looks to, cause no one expects it from a grandpa car

EL GLI, White
Power windows, Fairmont/Ghia door trims, converted to manual, extractors, zorst, wade cam, stereo, Tickford ECU, Tickford body kit, XR wheel.....

Mods to come: 3:45 LSD sitting in shed!!

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

LOL, tim your car looks like its owned by the mafia, not a grandpa! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

tyres are the biggest factor in traction. As scottie has seen, stall up to 3000rpm in the wet and launch with no wheel spin. All due to good tyres.

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

WA, Australia

im running s**t 225/50/16's but i have koni/king springs so i could comfortable dump the clutch at about 2k without wheel spin. I used to have Goodyear EAgle F1s and i could drop the clutch at about 2.5k without spin.

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:28 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

SVO XR6 wrote:
tyres are the biggest factor in traction. As scottie has seen, stall up to 3000rpm in the wet and launch with no wheel spin. All due to good tyres.

yer but man u payed what close to $400 a tyre? LOL
i can get almost 3 tyrs fitted to mine for that

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 31 images

Ride: G6E TURBO

NSW, Australia

you got probs gettin off tha line well get 17's upwards good set of low profile tyres like gt's for example and of a*** an lsd but dont get to checky in the wet as 3000rpm or more you will be going sidewayz :lol:

MEMBER 1390

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

WA, Australia

minispool is ur answer mate..
and beleive me, it works, especially with manual falcons!!!!!

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU

VIC, Australia

I've always had that problem too, one time even got the attention of a cop and that bastard didn't believe me it was an accident even though it was a right turn into a hill, what a f**k. he also got me for other stuff to. I was a teenage then so I forgive him grr.

a few weeks back i noticed my boss could take his car around a corner from a give way much quick than I could, he has a beat up old VT exec, I have an AU1 with nice stiff suspension.

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:17 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

im pretty sure the vt's came out with traction control. Thats why he beat you around corners.

If you cant beat them, learn too.

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

SVO XR6 wrote:
Get your self some P0's and a set of konis :D

Are you suggesting some koni's under my bum will give me better traction ?
I'm currently running monroe GT gas and kings lows, but I'm thinking of having the rear springs reset about an inch lower.

Chirping and spinning wise, it doesnt really chirp as such due to the soft tyres, more just a wet weather sort of "CHHHSSSSS"
I havent given the new engine a good run because its still running in but even with my old one with 136rwkw if I slammed it into 2nd it'd just start spinning until I backed off and in wet weather (and on a slightly bumpy dry road) it'll start spinning when I hit 3500-4000. Likewise off the line, any more than about 1500 slipping it and it's desination spinsville. Wet weather, 3rd gear up a hill at 3000 revs, turn a bit and out comes the tail. :roll:

btw fordness I don't think traction control would come into it, you'd know when that's kicking in and it'd probably make the commo slower if anything due to cutting the power. Don't forget VTs also have that huge camber on the back

ImageImage

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Yeah, tighten up the diff. either Mini or ls.
Sounds like the old single spinna is not helping ya

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next