port n polish au2 

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

Kit wrote:
Just to branch off from this for a minute. :?
Not being too well informed about compression in engines and so on.
Would I need to have the compression in my stock 96 Fairmont I6 lifted to that of an XR6 to enjoy the full benefits of a cam like the 1604 profile?

And how would that be achieved. By changing the cylinders?
That would call for a different ECU wouldn't it?
And I'm guessing very big dollars to do this too yeah?

To have your head decked which will increase your compression ratio is easy to do. All they do is take a small amount off the face of the head which reduces the area for the cylinder to compress the charge of fuel and air. It will not require any ecu changes provided that you dont go to radical. Your 96 EF runs a modest 9.3:1 compression ratio which can be raised quite safely to around the 10.5-11:1 without any issues, you may need to run PULP though cause it might be out of the EECV paramaters to retard the timing should slight detonation be an issue. You will notice an performance improvement on its own from a comp ratio increase but to mix it with a cam too will certianly make you :D . It shouldnt cost you too much probably about $100 to get the head decked, but whilst you have got it off and at the machine shop you had might as well get it ported too. All you really want done is bowl work which is cleaning up the area underneath the valve head where the runners take thier final turn before the valve. All that is required is cleaning up the short side radius, dressing around the valve guide and making sure of a consistant diametre, and 3angle cut valve seats. If your machinist is really cluey than a 5 angle cut may provide a marginal benifit but 3 is fine. The runners themselves are fairly good before the bowl and as SVO said they flow well, but thats not where the power from porting and polishing is gained. Make sure that you get a guy who knows what he is doin too cause if porting is done incorectly it can produce negative results and you will be worse off.

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

Jaysen wrote:
Kit wrote:
Just to branch off from this for a minute. :?
Not being too well informed about compression in engines and so on.
Would I need to have the compression in my stock 96 Fairmont I6 lifted to that of an XR6 to enjoy the full benefits of a cam like the 1604 profile?

And how would that be achieved. By changing the cylinders?
That would call for a different ECU wouldn't it?
And I'm guessing very big dollars to do this too yeah?

To have your head decked which will increase your compression ratio is easy to do. All they do is take a small amount off the face of the head which reduces the area for the cylinder to compress the charge of fuel and air. It will not require any ecu changes provided that you dont go to radical. Your 96 EF runs a modest 9.3:1 compression ratio which can be raised quite safely to around the 10.5-11:1 without any issues, you may need to run PULP though cause it might be out of the EECV paramaters to retard the timing should slight detonation be an issue. You will notice an performance improvement on its own from a comp ratio increase but to mix it with a cam too will certianly make you :D . It shouldnt cost you too much probably about $100 to get the head decked, but whilst you have got it off and at the machine shop you had might as well get it ported too. All you really want done is bowl work which is cleaning up the area underneath the valve head where the runners take thier final turn before the valve. All that is required is cleaning up the short side radius, dressing around the valve guide and making sure of a consistant diametre, and 3angle cut valve seats. If your machinist is really cluey than a 5 angle cut may provide a marginal benifit but 3 is fine. The runners themselves are fairly good before the bowl and as SVO said they flow well, but thats not where the power from porting and polishing is gained. Make sure that you get a guy who knows what he is doin too cause if porting is done incorectly it can produce negative results and you will be worse off.

Interesting. Thanks. 8-)

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:43 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Skyline

QLD, Australia

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=Gilbert%27s+Cylinder+Head+Service&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryAU

Look there, go down the page to the autospeed porting link... Normally that site won't let you inwithout paying, but doing it that way seems to let you see the ehole article. Gilberts cylinder head service is on the gold coast and will do a great port job for $350-400

R31 Skyline
2JZ GTE, stock engine, turbos, auto, and ECU.
12.5 @ 115mph
100% Owner built

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

If you port and polish, regrind vavle seats and skim the head, it seems stupid not to put big valves and double valve springs in (if the engine doesn't already have double)

Thn if you've gone to all the trouble, you may as well go roller rockers, after all, it's stupid to do the valves and not the vavle train.

Things like this is a never ending saga. You don't want to pull the head off and get it ported, then pull it off again to get the valves done, then pull it off again to get it skimmed etc, etc, etc. It's an alloy head so you want to be pulling it off as little as possible, not as bad as an alloy block, but you still want to look after your head.

Then if you really want to start on the road to ultimate power, you better get the head 'volume' checked. I know that's not the right term cause my barin has failed on me today. Basically, each 'dip' in the head will have a different capacity. They need to be all the same. It's part of blue printing an engine.

Of course, you won't get the full benefit of all of that if you don't have a good flowing intake and exhaust system and vice versa.

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:35 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU - Turbo

Oustide Australia

unclewoja wrote:
If you port and polish, regrind vavle seats and skim the head, it seems stupid not to put big valves and double valve springs in (if the engine doesn't already have double)

Thn if you've gone to all the trouble, you may as well go roller rockers, after all, it's stupid to do the valves and not the vavle train

How much extra does big valves and double valv springs cost oh and roller rockers?

Im going to find out tuesday how much it costs I will get the extractors but later on im thinking maybe a cam next or put in at the same time. It just gets more and more expensive :(

I really need a body kit/wheels/tint badly though power comes first :)

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

You only need to go stiffer valve springs not double cause valve float isnt an issue with these engines running a mild 5500rpm redline and having all alloy rocker arms. if the cam is designed properly then ramps will be friendly and also help to reduce float. As for roller rockers well E series falcons allready do so you dont need a new set. AFAIK bigger valves are not available for these heads. Its not necessary to go that far but significant gains are made from simple head porting and polishing work

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ed falcon

QLD, Australia

how much would it cost for all the work u guys suggested having done while the head is off?

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 220kw 1600 Datto

WA, Australia

$450-$550 ish

tops!

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:47 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ef Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Head porting when done properly is the very start you need for any BOLT-ON'S like extractors and intake and especially camshaft's as any gains will be more than a std head. You may want to also get some gain from resurfacing the head at least 30-40thou. The list IT'S PERFORMANCE tell's you what stage his porting and resurfacing start to come into effect. Just a note that I have a ported head and intake mods and no extactors only 2 1/2 cat back exhaust and 125rwkw I would expect to get atleast 10-15kw from a set of extractors as a 10% increase should be easily achieved.

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

blinkAU wrote:
How much extra does big valves and double valv springs cost oh and roller rockers?

Im going to find out tuesday how much it costs I will get the extractors but later on im thinking maybe a cam next or put in at the same time. It just gets more and more expensive :(

I really need a body kit/wheels/tint badly though power comes first :)

That's the problem with getting power out of an engine...... money.

Big valves, new valve springs, roller rockers (and later roller followers with teh new cam) blueprint the head, port and polish and a skim...... maybe in the $1500 area or more. There's valves and there's valves. Std, stainless steel, titiaium, sodium filled. you could spend $1500 on valves alone before you do anything else.

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:51 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ef Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Good head workshop's can work over std valves with a back-cut and swirl polishing. Good job for the apprentice. These mods to the std valve are adequate for mild engine's. The real power in any combination is to match components.

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:37 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU - Turbo

Oustide Australia

Looking for around 140-150rwkw. I doub't ill go any further then that unless it doesn't cost me alot of cash. Whats stock... 95rwkw?

My list is exhuast, extractors, port n polsih, upgrade intake system, maybe a cam at the end if needed.

I went to jack beedhams where I got my exhaust fitted and they wanted $310 for a set of Wildcat extractors.... they claim that they work the same if not better then pacemakers. They also wanted $100 more for the paceys I thought they might of just been trying to get rid of old stock. Im thining of sticking with the paceys what do you guys think?

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:00 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Skyline

QLD, Australia

I reckon they are dodgy.

R31 Skyline
2JZ GTE, stock engine, turbos, auto, and ECU.
12.5 @ 115mph
100% Owner built

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2