Fordmods Logo

Ported head and cam arrived. PICS! Help me out!!! 

Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

SA, Australia

Was going to go with the ACL 5cc dish. But it depends on if there's a massive difference in price. That's if I even get new pistons. I never realised how expensive they are! And all for a 5kw power boost. I may just stick to a general rebuild and the head work for now. I've gotten less and less enthused as time has gone on.

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:23 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

MoNGooSE wrote:
I've gotten less and less enthused as time has gone on.

Yeah I agree with you on that. If you spend a lot on a car over a long period of time, you come to realise that the money can go else where which probably is more important or has better outcome. It's only fun if you have the money as well as doing it over a short period of time. Shorter period of time = less thinking = more spending = getting things done. Longer periods of time = more thinking = changing mind = more money = over thinking = more change = more money spent = less enthusiasm.

Stick to your goal and you'll be more then happy ;).

Anyways...hopefully what ever you choose MoNGooSE will put a smile to your face. As they say, so long as your happy.

If it was me, I'd personally just to a general rebuild, unless you can get your hands on cheap AU pistons. ACL pistons are pricey...for 5kws :?

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:24 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Power: 192 rwkw

SA, Australia

cjh wrote:
MoNGooSE wrote:
Head arrived today.

The ports all feel very smooth which I'm assuming is what they're meant to feel like if they've been ported and polished...

Haven't taken the cam completely out but it had an engraving on one end of it. I think it is 813B/801N with a 1x down the bottom. Anyone help me out with these?

All the coolant channels are in good condition with no corrosion so I'm happy.

However it is just a standard 94AB head.

You say that head has been ported & polished. Looks like they didn't do much with the exhaust ports. Heres my head ( 94AB) that I'm currently doing. I haven't finnished it yet, but I hope it works OK.

why would u go to all that effort pollishing the chambers and not unshroud the valves, take the humps between the valves out etc? did u cc the chambers atleast? very shiny by the way, good work on that

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Not a wiser word was ever spoken Phong.

I spoke to a mate of mine who can somehow get all sorts of parts for very cheap and he said he can get me a complete ACL Race Series rebuild kit complete with 5cc dish style Race Series pistons for $600 which is damn good. He also knows someone who can do very very good block work for cheap.

I said at the start of this little project that I wouldn't spend any more than a grand on and it seems as if I was fairly on the money.

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

3.9from hell wrote:
why would u go to all that effort pollishing the chambers and not unshroud the valves, take the humps between the valves out etc? did u cc the chambers atleast? very shiny by the way, good work on that

Do you mean me? I bought the head for $400 posted off ebay second hand. He said it had been ported and polished and was fitted with a stage 1 cam. I figured $400 was a good enough price for me to take a risk on. I bought it not knowing how well it had been worked or what type of cam it was. I'm not fussed for $400. I've got a mate who who works in race engineering coming to have a look at it. So he'll tell me if I was ripped off.

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

MoNGooSE wrote:
3.9from hell wrote:

Do you mean me? I bought the head for $400 posted off ebay second hand. He said it had been ported and polished and was fitted with a stage 1 cam. I figured $400 was a good enough price for me to take a risk on. I bought it not knowing how well it had been worked or what type of cam it was. I'm not fussed for $400. I've got a mate who who works in race engineering coming to have a look at it. So he'll tell me if I was ripped off.
That one would be a reference to cjh's post. Can't tell from you photos what has been done.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

twason wrote:
MoNGooSE wrote:
3.9from hell wrote:

That one would be a reference to cjh's post. Can't tell from you photos what has been done.

i think cjh would be porting the head for a n/a application, so trying to get a high compression ratio by preserving as much as the chamber as possible.

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Power: 192 rwkw

SA, Australia

yeah fair enuff
dont hav to take much out to make a big improvement tho
nothing a quick shave job wont more than make up for

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

I have made the exhaust ports the same size as the factory tin exhaust manifold gasket, which as it turns out is the same size as the head of the ex valve. It took me ages to polish those chambers, about 2hrs each.
I have also port matched the inlet to the head.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

cjh wrote:
I have made the exhaust ports the same size as the factory tin exhaust manifold gasket, which as it turns out is the same size as the head of the ex valve.

Why?

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
cjh wrote:
I have made the exhaust ports the same size as the factory tin exhaust manifold gasket, which as it turns out is the same size as the head of the ex valve.

Why?

If it can breathe in, its gotta breathe out.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:03 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
cjh wrote:

Why?

Constipation wasn't always healthy :P hahaha.

I just noticed how much bigger the outlet/inlet ports are compared to factory :shock:.

Bit off topic...is it hard to polish the combustion/valve area? I am doing N/A as well so I won't be using a die grinder to get rid of the humps, just smoothing it out more then factory.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

cjh wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
cjh wrote:

Why?

what was the need to make the port as big as the valve?

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Looks like some of us are still stuck in the 60s & 70s. bigger isn't always better. maybe useful if its force feed but useless for day to day N/A usage!

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:09 am 
Stock as a Rock

TAS, Australia

Havn't had much experiance with the i6 heads.. but i know with the v8 heads matching the exhaust ports to the exhaust gasket is one massive no-no.
Hope the same doesn't apply for the i6 heads.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next