porting and polishing 

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: porting and polishing
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

Is it worthwhile taking off the casting marks in the ports and intake manifold or will extra airflow be negligable?

Experienced opinions only please :wink:

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:09 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF XR6 5sp

NSW, Australia

im no expert or particularly experience for that matter, but common sense tells me removing anything that upsets air flow is worth getting rid of.

ive always done it when ive got an inlet manifold off the maotor for whatever reason.

cant say its given power increases but hey it keeps me out of trouble for an hour or so.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

yes i can see the potential but how restrictive are the casting dags?

Also what is the process in match porting? you would use mechanics die to see where they are overlapping?

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:21 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

not so much as restrictive more of a hinderence to airflow swirl

match porting from what i know is where the ports are matched to the gaskets

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Is it gonna be a DIY job?.

You'll find most of the work in a basic porting is focused on reducing those restrictions which are caused by obstructing intake air flow as it transitions from the intake manifold to a smaller intake port entry in the head; 2) casting bumps, ridges or other marks, such as those you may find on port floors or roofs; 3) sharp edges, such as those you will find around the valve guide bosses at the top of the valve pockets; and 4) the point where the intake port floor curves down to the valve seat.
Polish the combustion chamber & exhaust ports but skip the intake ports, you can also save a fare bit of money by doing it yourself then take it in for Cc matching & benched flow.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Slick wrote:
Is it gonna be a DIY job?.

You'll find most of the work in a basic porting is focused on reducing those restrictions which are caused by obstructing intake air flow as it transitions from the intake manifold to a smaller intake port entry in the head; 2) casting bumps, ridges or other marks, such as those you may find on port floors or roofs; 3) sharp edges, such as those you will find around the valve guide bosses at the top of the valve pockets; and 4) the point where the intake port floor curves down to the valve seat.
Polish the combustion chamber & exhaust ports but skip the intake ports, you can also save a fare bit of money by doing it yourself then take it in for Cc matching & benched flow.

Yes, diy. Why would I skip the intake ports? Thanks for the info

Frank- didnt think of matching them to the gasket but it makes a lot more sense that using dye to find where they overlap.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Blu Falc wrote:
Yes, diy. Why would I skip the intake ports? Thanks for the info

You dont polish the intake ports because you want the surface a little rough to create turbulence to mix the air and fuel better and stop the fuel forming droplets on the walls. You want the exhaust port polished to help stop carbon buildup.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Im thought it would be something along those lines, more turbulance= better atomisation.

It would still be benifitial to match port the inlet though right?
Casting marks would be good to remove from the inlet as well? I can still leave the surface rough but not have the dags there, good idea?

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I dont know how much better it will flow with the castings removed, but it certainly wont hurt so go for it.

And yeah, gasket matching will help make a smoother transition from runner to port.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Blu Falc wrote:
Im thought it would be something along those lines, more turbulance= better atomisation.

It would still be benifitial to match port the inlet though right?
Casting marks would be good to remove from the inlet as well? I can still leave the surface rough but not have the dags there, good idea?

Yes, match port inlet by applying blue dye to intake port side & plenum port. then sandwich the gasket in between. remove gasket & check area of gasket that has no dye on. thats the area you wanna remove. or dye metal surface of intake port side & align gasket then scrape around the inlet with a sharp nail. do the same with the plenum.

yes, remove all marks, bumps & sharp edges. you wanna keep that sanded look on the intake side.

Note: do it in stages. back & forth throu the ports removing a little bit at a time.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Station Wagon.

Power: 150 rwkw

WA, Australia

Gday Blu Falc, Did a home port job a while ago. I was supprised at how good the original casting was but still room for improvement. I think a general clean up is worth it, noticed better throttel response and gained a few top end rev's. Got a few before and after pic's in my gallery that might help. Good luck.

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
Home port job. 1636 Wade cam. Wildcat Extractors, 2 1/2" cat and exhaust.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

Yeah, Blue, Evereyone is on the right track. Done enuf of this to know!!!!)
You need the little bit of roughness to create turbulance but also a layer of air will sit in the slight imperfections creating a rolling surface for airflow.The exhaust is the opposite. Because of the heat and positive pressure air will not sit there so you want those ports glass smooth.
And yes match porting will make airflow much more efficient on both sides.
It is worthwhile spending time on both.
Bundy Up!
Brad 8-)

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:35 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Keeping surface roughness to improve fuel/air mix is very questionable. I bet no one here in this thread has actually flowed their handy work nor done back to back testing.

As a safe rule you should never port the floor of a port runner. 99% of the time if you raise the floor with plastasine it will improve on the flow bench. All raise heads raise the intake ports and have "d" exhaust ports to improve flow and minimise dead areas. This also improves the short turn radius, one of the biggest contributors to quality air flow. Prime example is Clevland 4v inlet compared to CHI 3V, Nascar heads etc.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Bert wrote:
Keeping surface roughness to improve fuel/air mix is very questionable. I bet no one here in this thread has actually flowed their handy work nor done back to back testing.

Mine was flowed after the work. I didnt have it flowed before, but I know the guys that did it before have done extensive testing on falcons and they said the roughness was necessary.

I was very happy with the results so Ill take their word for it. This is the finish they said was ideal for inlet ports

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL Fairmont

SA, Australia

What 1/2 baked Machine shop did that intake? I'd never take my head there.

Soo many idiots. So few bullets

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next