Possible head porting docco coming soon 

Page 8 of 10 [ 150 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post subject: Re: Possible head porting docco coming soon
Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

so a 49mm intake and 41mm exhaust valve ? I like that. Would such a flow increase harm low down performance though ? Takes alot of metal out to fit that 49mm inlet. Would be good to know just how much room we have. Would be nice to increase chamber cc to reduce compression. I'm attempting this on my 94AB. Winging it with little ford specific knowledge is a bit hard.
If you're interested I also have an ea head I can probably cut up since know one seems to want one. Have the machinery just need to know if theres interest.

Love this thread.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

low_ryda wrote:
so a 49mm intake and 41mm exhaust valve ? I like that. Would such a flow increase harm low down performance though ?

It might, but only if it slows the port down. At some point in the quest for big HP N/A low down is going to have to be sacrificed.

low_ryda wrote:
Takes alot of metal out to fit that 49mm inlet. Would be good to know just how much room we have.

There is enough room in the chamber to go out to a 51mm intake valve, But it would mean having the head machined to take a larger seat insert. I think the cost would far out way the benefit on a street engine. The same valve that I would be getting as a 49mm could be done in any size up to 55mm

My main focus now will be trying to create the most efficient port I can to suit the 49mm valve.

low_ryda wrote:
If you're interested I also have an ea head I can probably cut up since know one seems to want one. Have the machinery just need to know if theres interest.

Love this thread.

I'm always open to taking heads, or bits of heads. If you're going to cut it up or chuck it out. If you could cut the last chamber off so it's complete (so it could be bolted to a flow bench) I'd be happy to pay the postage to get it here.

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

can you explain exactly where you want it cut ? give me a centerline and I will have it ready for you to post off...
6 Cylinders, I have a few to play with lol If you want anything out of the ordinary I'm wiling to do that to. If it makes you feel any better it will cost me to lol.

I understand the equilibrium relative to flow. Thats fine with Na, I just have no idea how it relates to boosted applications which is where I intend on heading. NA falcons don't interest me much anymore but the way I understand it, boost + flow = massive HP.

If I don't phuk this 94AB head I have there will be an ED head up for dissection also.

My biggest interest is seeing this thread progress. I'm horned up over pre b series head improvements, they're there somewhere, just takes some collective data to get it all together & happening. I'm interested in ghetto turbo setups so cheap head flow is an awesome bonus. If my work was worth while I'd be willing to donate it for free just to see the increase in cheap HP. I really want to see this thread thrive. I don't know half as much as you tickford_6 but I'm sure as phuk ready to learn.

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

If you scroll back up you'll the AU section, It's been cut through the second last headbolt bores.
And back a few pages you see it cut through the center line of the intake port.

If you could, I'd like one of each

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ok then. I'm a fair way away from it at the moment. Give me a week and it should be underway. Just in addition to that last thread.... if i DO phuk my 94AB there will be one of those up for dissection to haha.

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I've managed to find a forum that has a few big name head porters engine builders, from the USA as members. (the likes of Joe sherman, Stan Weiss, John Kaase, Bill Mitchell ect)
I put the question to them about these heads along with a bunch of photos and other info.

A few of the guys have taken some interest and passed on some knowledge.
I was pretty blown away that one, they took an interest and two, at the kind of stuff they are will to share.

It's going to take some time to apply what they've told me and verify it against known heads that I have flow figures for, but it seems promising.

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Have been learning alot from the above mentioned forum.

The main point is there is no great concern about losing port velocity with these heads.
First off the port is far to small as it is. It's trying to feed a single cylinder volume that is pretty close to the same size a single cylinder from a 5.4L V8.

If we are to get to flow levels in the high 200s instead of being stuck in the mid 200s, the initial straight part of the port needs to be closer to 39mm diameter instead of the 36.5mm that it is stock.

the throat diameter will need to go out to 44/45mm and the valve will need to be a 49mm or 50mm, and in the high 200s it will need every bit of the 49mm valve.

around the short turn past the guide will need to have about 10% more area then the main part of the port.

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

low_ryda wrote:
if i DO phuk my 94AB there will be one of those up for dissection to haha.
I've got a 95DA head you can have if you're stuck for items to cut up.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:22 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ford Fairmont EF II

VIC, Australia

there was a piece about porting in the unique cars mag.issue 328 on page 105 and it shows step by step how an amature can safely port there head and goes into some detail of what the should and shouldnt do. i didnt even know where to start befor reading this and now i could understand almost all of it. its still the current issue if you wanted to get it, or i could try and post pics of it.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Should be taking delivery of some quick setting mould making silicon in the next week.
I got the s**t trying to measure the csa of the port at 10mm increments.
I figure make a mould so I can slice it up and use a regular calliper to measure.

I should get 3 or 4 moulds for the $40 odd it's costing me.

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ok so the moulding stuff turned up.

I have moulded one port so far and used half the silicone.
I'm going to put together a tutorial over the weekend on how to take a port mould.
I think if a few people buy the 500gram kit, That cost me only $47 including post.
and all took some moulds and sent them in it would be far simpler and more effective then trying to find dead heads.

Also means its simple to take moulds of already ported heads with out fear of damage.
We need to compare as much of this stuff as we can if we are to unlock the secrets to good flow and power.

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Sounds like a plan Brad. I'm definitely in for this one. The only advantage of disecting a dead head as opposed to silicon moulds would be to see how much you can port before you hit water.

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

xcabbi wrote:
Sounds like a plan Brad. I'm definitely in for this one. The only advantage of disecting a dead head as opposed to silicon moulds would be to see how much you can port before you hit water.

Was wondering when you were going to join back in.

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
xcabbi wrote:

in the man cave on the books,for uni until november

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
xcabbi wrote:

I've been quietly observing and taking a few mental notes. I'll get right back into the fray soon.

Sort by  
 Page 8 of 10  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next