Fordmods Logo

Possible head porting docco coming soon 

Page 3 of 10 [ 150 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Post subject: Re: Possible head porting docco coming soon
Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

fiftyone wrote:
cant wait to see this all come together, some great pics there

I hope it all does come together, because i've ruined a perfectly good VCT head and BBM

Actually we need alot of help with this. i'll have some pics of a 94DA head from xcabbi by the next week. so that gives us 2 out of about 10 or different heads, If people have or can get cracked or damaged heads we can use, it would help.

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

tickford_6 wrote:
I hope it all does come together, because i've ruined a perfectly good VCT head and BBM

No turning back now :lol: :lol:

Those are some good shots of the VCT intake port and the EF BBM, well done mate. Look forward to seeing some dissected exhaust port shots :P

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

KWIKXR wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:

No turning back now :lol: :lol:

Those are some good shots of the VCT intake port and the EF BBM, well done mate. Look forward to seeing some dissected exhaust port shots :P

i was hoping to get the exhaust shots done today. but as i'd cut the last cyl of the head and then cut the intake port off that section it leaves me with no way of keeping it in the drop-saw to cut the exhaust port. so i'll have to cut through the exhaust port of NO:5 so i have the rest of the head to hold in the saw. Would you believe all those shot were taken with my new nokia E71. It's takes better shots of these parts then my multi hundred dollar nikon camera does.

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

thats really cool s**t youve done there tickford6....
to me the port looks good....especially the short turn radius, its huge...but hey im no expert...

other than port matching, stream-lining the guides and some seat work/valve cutting i cant really see where to improve it...

could you give a brief analysis of its good points and deficiencies??

i have personally visually compared EA EB EF and AU heads side by side (valves out) very basically and theyre all pretty much the same....EA and AU have swirl generators in the chamber shrouding the valves (ea big AU small)....

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

gogetta wrote:
thats really cool s**t youve done there tickford6....
to me the port looks good....especially the short turn radius, its huge...but hey im no expert...

other than port matching, stream-lining the guides and some seat work/valve cutting i cant really see where to improve it...

could you give a brief analysis of its good points and deficiencies??

i have personally visually compared EA EB EF and AU heads side by side (valves out) very basically and theyre all pretty much the same....EA and AU have swirl generators in the chamber shrouding the valves (ea big AU small)....

The port is good. more so when you put it next to anything ford ever put on a windsor or clevo
the short turn radius is good, but it has to turn almot 90degrees to the valve. It does suffer from seperation at high lift. wagondad picked up good flow by laying it back on 2mm.

there is a huge cross sectional area change at the valve guide, the upper walls and roof need to be widened here as well narrowing the protruding part of the guide.
The AU head doesn't have but some of the earlier heads have a build up of alloy around intake guide that can be shaped to improve flow around the guide.

there is also some shrouding in the chamber, not a alot but some and only at low lift.

I personly don't like the way port run straight on to the valve, not very conducive to good swirl in the cylinder.

Once we start to flow and velocity test these heads the info will be posted for every to see,

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:36 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
fiftyone wrote:
cant wait to see this all come together, some great pics there

Actually we need alot of help with this. i'll have some pics of a 94DA head from xcabbi by the next week. so that gives us 2 out of about 10 or different heads, If people have or can get cracked or damaged heads we can use, it would help.

ill have a 91aa head that was cracked and bodged with chemiweld to keep the car going untill the rego ran out..
ill be wrecking the car out soon so once the car is disabled i can donate the 91aa head for disection..

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

TROYMAN wrote:
ill have a 91aa head that was cracked and bodged with chemiweld to keep the car going untill the rego ran out..
ill be wrecking the car out soon so once the car is disabled i can donate the 91aa head for disection..

Ooohh nice, that'll come in handy for me cause thats the same head im working on :lol:

Good to see there is a bit to work with on the intake side, i must say it looks/feels like the intake ports on the 91AA head i have here is very similar. The short turn is quite generous and at least has a nice curve. Too bad the exhaust side isn't as generous, run your finger over the exhaust short side and it basically comes to a point just behind the valve before exiting out the port :roll:. Will be good to see a discussion on how much can be done on the exhaust side

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Last edited by KWIKXR on Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

When do you want me to come past and pick the head up TROYMAN? :lol:

To all the guys bombarding me with pm's regarding image hosting, thanks heaps. I appreciate your support. Thanks heaps guys.

This is nuts. Its gone from a basic idea to full steam ahead within a matter of days. I knew it was going to be a big thing, just underestimated how big. Just shows what fordmodders have been craving for so long.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I have an old 3.9 head here if you want it... in fact you can have the whole engine... :-)

What are you using to section the heads?

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Band saw or drop saw (what ever I can get me hands on really).

Just send over the head thanks.

This reminds me of the Aus fleet sales ads

BOMBS BOMBS WE WANT YOUR BOMBS.

Now its

HEADS HEADS WE WANT YOUR HEADS. CRACKED WARPED OR JUST PLAIN UNSERVICABLE.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:39 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

I might be able to get the heads chopped for you if you want mate, just get em' to me bare and they should be done by the end of the week. As many slices as you like. Also have 91AA head here if interested.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:20 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
When do you want me to come past and pick the head up TROYMAN? :lol:

it will be a few weeks.. as its still a running car lol..

but if paul (swc) is willing to donate his 91aa head instead?? im easy pleased. :)

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:19 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

When I did my head I went onto the website speedtalk.com . They have alot of CDs for sale where they interview top head porters and take their views on headporting. I bought every CD on head porting and the information is very valuable. One thing is clear from the pros is that the CFM a head flows is NOT the be all end all. Alot of heads that flow less can produce better power.

I then looked at all the performance heads on the markets and studied their shapes.

I read that article on Autospeed which is of help.

Now I dont have the time to use a flow bench and I never did anything scientifically but learnt alot of what NOT to do.

I basically "layed back" the short turn radius and flattened it out into more of a D shape. Chopped about 1cm off the valve guide and made alot more room either side of the valve guide by narrowing the guide and alot and taking a bit out of the side of the bowel.

Then pretty much smoothed it all out.

The valves were backcut to the edge of the sealing point.

Then there was the combustion chamber. Hogged alot out from around the exhaust valve. I figured I will do everthing to deshroud that exh valve (turbo). I kept the original 39mm valve

I paid attention to the area where the injectors sprays into the combustion chamber. Enlarged this area and cleaned it up to make sure the 6 hole injectors that I will be using have a nice clear path which it does not from the factory.

Other minor things are like making sure the person who cuts the seats puts them as close to the edge of the valve as possible. On the exh valve I rounded the edge on the chamber side to discourage reversion.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:38 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Another thing I did was bolted the head onto a scrap block and looked in from the crank side to see the overhang into the cylinder area. You have the quench area which you can leave but there are other areas of quench that are only maybe 1 or 2mm which I figured would disturb flow into the exhaust. So I took all these out with a burr. Alot quench was taken out of the exhaust area

Hope this makes sense. Just dont look at the air comming in but look at how the piston is going to push is out.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

post on behalf of xcabbi.

hey xcabbi, is this the 94AB head you're taking about?

the exhaust port needs a bit of attention I reckon.
Nasty!

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 10  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next