Fordmods Logo

power issue not happy 

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: power issue not happy
Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6T ute

VIC, Australia

i have had so many mates with stock eb's that bag up tyres no prob but my car no chance where should i start? heard i should change O2Senser and cat any other ideas??

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:54 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XR6T

NSW, Australia

stock eb will only smoke the tyres if the ole brake 3/4 on and accelerator full on method is used ,these things won't just smoke the tyres on throtle alone

BLACKTRACK TUNED TO 308 RWKW

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Wagon Turbo, Ba Fairlane G220

VIC, Australia

yeah i would say start with o2 sensor worked for me my car had no chance of smoking them till i put a new one in now does it with ease :)

Congo Green Ba Wagon With F6 6 Speed Manual Driveline.

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

lol....... the 02 sensor is not a power mod.

its just like saying i replaced my faulty ecu and now the car runs great, recommend to all :!:

if you feel your car is down on power then maybe get the compression tested first up to see where you stand.

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I never said it was a power mod. There is nothing to say that his o2 sensor isn't stuffed like mine was, it made a huge difference with my car it boosted power levels heaps. Why would you go straight for a compression test when there are a heap of things you can do that are all serviceable items that if they are not looked after properly it will effect the performance of your car greatly.

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

because a compression test can be free, buying an o2 sensor can leave you feeling violated (specially from fraud)

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

60 bucks aint much off ebay it is something that is suposed to be relpaced every 100,000 ks anyway dont replace it now will just have to do it later

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Dellar69 wrote:
60 bucks aint much off ebay it is something that is suposed to be relpaced every 100,000 ks anyway dont replace it now will just have to do it later

its alright, i aint knocking your idea, just saying that with a bit of knowledge you can save yourself some money by eliminating some possible causes.

You can test the operation of the o2 sensor by taking a voltage reading with a multimeter at the appropriate ecu pin. I think its 0.80 volts for the first 40-60 seconds after startup then should fluctuate between 0.1 and 0.8 volts with 0.5 being an ideal mixture.

If the values are wrong at the ecu, then take the readings directly from terminal 'c' of the o2 sensor and check if the voltages are the same as the ecu. If not then check wiring for continuity and earth leaks.

Above 0.5 is a rich mixture, and below is a lean mixture. Other things cause these mixtures, not a functioning o2 sensor.

If the car is severly lacking in power, and given the nature of eseries blowing headgaskets, then testing the compression is a good idea, before you start buying cams, exhaust, new sensors etc trying to improve power.

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

Starting point of ALL decent tuneups is A COMPRESSION TEST that way you know you have a good starting base on which to build.
Replacing plugs, leads etc is only as good as the motor is. :roll:

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Dont forget too that a common story on these models is a blocked cat as well.

Cheers

Nigel

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I have an ED motor with xr6 cam, hi flow (3 inch magnaflow) cat converter genie extractors, 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust with one straight though muffler (noisy buggar when the foot is in) and a pod filter..

And even with all that, I can only just light it up the rear without the use of brakes...

In my case, the main reason is the LSD 3.23:1 diff... If I had a 3.45:1 or above, this thing would light up at the drop of a hat.

As it is now, the power comes on at around 3000rpm for me, and that is too high for the diff ratio i have now.

That is one of the reasons I want to get an EL BBM and computer, so I can get the down low improvement and still keep the top end.

rgds

Frank

Post subject: Re: power issue not happy
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: eb

NSW, Australia

ringastinga wrote:
i have had so many mates with stock eb's that bag up tyres no prob but my car no chance where should i start? heard i should change O2Senser and cat any other ideas??

learn how to bag em up would be a good starting point,my eb bags up 4 gears no probs no brakes,i just keep the hammer on and she keeps on smokin no sweat

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Quote:
learn how to bag em up would be a good starting point,my eb bags up 4 gears no probs no brakes,i just keep the hammer on and she keeps on smokin no sweat

.. to the tune of "Snap goes the (Diff) Centre..."

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Dont worry, my car cant bag em up either (although probably ECU related), like others have said, compression test first, then do your usual service type stuff, plugs, leads, oil and then start by getting some breathing mods. If your keen, a manual conversion can be quite rewarding, and you'll definitely bag em up then.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG 50th Anni G6E Turbo

VIC, Australia

smiley235 wrote:
Dont worry, my car cant bag em up either (although probably ECU related), like others have said, compression test first, then do your usual service type stuff, plugs, leads, oil and then start by getting some breathing mods. If your keen, a manual conversion can be quite rewarding, and you'll definitely bag em up then.

Even with the new diff!?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next