Power Steering Shudder When Parking 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Power Steering Shudder When Parking
Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:14 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: FG Falcon XR6

QLD, Australia

Hey guys, I have a problem with my power steering at the moment. When the engine is cold and im parking the wheel wont shudder at all but when engine is hot and I'm parking, The steering wheel with shudder like crazy when the wheel is turned left.

I took it in to get checked up and I had the wrong steering fluid in so they flushed and filed with the correct stuff. Unfortunetly that did not fix it and 2 mechanics reckon it is my hi pressure hose and the pump (the rack seems to be in good nick) . Just wondering if anyone else has had this same problem and what fixed this problem?

All your comments is much appreciated. Thanks

PH4490 Pacemaker Headers
Bullet Hi Flow Cat
2.5" X force Cat Back Mandrel System
K&N Panel Filter
Alteeza Aftermarket Tail Lights
Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/straitupmatt

Post subject: Re: Power Steering Shudder When Parking
Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

The is known issue with the H/P hose and there is a revised hose available from Ford, I have had no issues using mackay branded non genuine hoses.

When the engine is hot the P/s steer fluid is hot too.

Given that it only happens while turning left and not right, that would point more at a rack issue and not a pump issue.

I haven't seen one only do it in one direction, But steering shudder is very common in these cars.
Simply manipulating the steering from left to right while performing a brake pad change will induce the shudder, this normally goes away after a day or two. Incorrect fluid will do it and may cause damage to both the pump and rack. A faulty relief in the pump will do it too. over loading the system with large wheels can do it.

I don't expect you will get to the root cause with out spending money. Either with shop that will throw parts at it till it's fixed or a shop that will properly diagnose the problem. Either way you are going to pay for un-needed parts or for diagnostic time.

Post subject: Re: Power Steering Shudder When Parking
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: FG Falcon XR6

QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
The is known issue with the H/P hose and there is a revised hose available from Ford, I have had no issues using mackay branded non genuine hoses.

When the engine is hot the P/s steer fluid is hot too.

Given that it only happens while turning left and not right, that would point more at a rack issue and not a pump issue.

I haven't seen one only do it in one direction, But steering shudder is very common in these cars.
Simply manipulating the steering from left to right while performing a brake pad change will induce the shudder, this normally goes away after a day or two. Incorrect fluid will do it and may cause damage to both the pump and rack. A faulty relief in the pump will do it too. over loading the system with large wheels can do it.

I don't expect you will get to the root cause with out spending money. Either with shop that will throw parts at it till it's fixed or a shop that will properly diagnose the problem. Either way you are going to pay for un-needed parts or for diagnostic time.

Thank you for your reply. Its quite a odd thing for it too only do it one way but very frustrating because a Mechanic has properly diagnosed it. Are steering racks expensive to replace? I also have another topic i need help with, if you could check it out it would be great. Cheers

http://www.fordmods.com/auto-electrical-forum-f89/door-open-dash-light-sound-when-doors-are-closed-t121807.html

PH4490 Pacemaker Headers
Bullet Hi Flow Cat
2.5" X force Cat Back Mandrel System
K&N Panel Filter
Alteeza Aftermarket Tail Lights
Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/straitupmatt

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]