Fordmods Logo

Pre cross flow 6's 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Pre cross flow 6's
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:04 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1957 Customline, 63 XL Falcon

QLD, Australia

I am restoring a 63 XL falcon and with the body work almost completed, the time is here to really decide what to do about an engine. If the car was for me the answer would be windsor but it is for my daughter who gets her licence in the next few months. I currently have a 144 and 2 spd auto that needs rebuilding. I dont want to spend time and money on the 144. Even though it was economical which my daughter will want, it was very gutless especially with the 2 spd. Is there a way to get a bit more out of the 144, Head swaps etc... Are all pre cross flow heads the same compression wise and do they interchange? I would really just like to reco a 170 or 200 and 3 spd auto and just use that but not too many around in Qld. Can someone suggest a way to get some life into the 144 or suggest a good place to find a 170 or 200, would be much appreciated. Also I have seen a 250 2V head on a 170. How does this go for compression???

Post subject: Re: Pre cross flow 6's
Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

my Suggestion is to get a 4L OHC engine and for simplicities sake a C4.

You'll get a good running engine for less then half the cost of rebuilding a pre crossflow.
the left over money can be spent on a C4 to OHC bellhousing and rebuilding a C4.

Or if you like use the 4spd auto

Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:12 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

im pretty sure kelly's wrecking in zillmere still had a couple of pre cross flows there, an tickford six there is nothing simple about putting in a ohc engine in an early falon in queensland the amount of things you have to modify and make and the cost if you cant do any or much of it yourself would be huge, the list of safety modifications you must do is long an hard

Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

xpnutter wrote:
im pretty sure kelly's wrecking in zillmere still had a couple of pre cross flows there, an tickford six there is nothing simple about putting in a ohc engine in an early falon in queensland the amount of things you have to modify and make and the cost if you cant do any or much of it yourself would be huge, the list of safety modifications you must do is long an hard

never said fitting the engine was simple. but for economy and reliability its the best option.

Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:05 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1957 Customline, 63 XL Falcon

QLD, Australia

Thanks boys, Yes a later model engine would be pretty cool but if you saw this car, you would know where i'm coming from when I say that I think it's best to keep it original. I can do the lot myself and I like doing engine swaps, 253 in a hilux, red motor in a corona, put a clevo/c4/9" in my customline, but I just cant spoil this original untouched car. I might have a poke around the wreckers at zillmere and see what they have lying around. You never know.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]