Fordmods Logo

Premium Vs Standard Unleade 

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:11 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

I use Premium + 100ml of acetone. Car is very economical, idles perfectly, has very clean emissions and has plenty of guts.

I have recently been informed of the use of acetone in fuel and have found it works wonders. Its beneficial in that part of its constructions is Oxygen (bigger bang) and also that it is a cleaning agent, so the internals of my engine should be very clean.

It has been proven that ethanol in small amounts will not affect the components of your vehicle. Overseas they use an extremely high content of ethanol, around 85%, and this is known to cause issues. Personally I see no harm in using what is basically a natural product.

Fulli Sik Re

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

But in europe the cars are made to handle its properties where as here with pre 98 falcons they are not, eg: fuel lines, seals, injectors are not suited to handle ethanol which is water soluable.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

its all in relation to the TUNE of your motor... regardless of type of motor.

In an older motor, a bit low on its compression due to age, ignition system is ok, but not as new so the spark is a little down on power, and the timing has started to retard itself due to age again... this motor will still go ok but there wont be much difference in high and low octane fuels... this is due to it burning the fuel inefficently.

Now, on a newer motor, with good high compression, and a perfectly firing ignition system running a more advanced timing will always make better power and ecconemy on 98 octane compare to 91... its going to burn and use the extra octane in the fuel much more efficiently

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

As far as I was aware, the EL onwards had a knock sensor which allowed it to advance the engines timing depending on the octane rating of the fuel, hence if you put ultimate into an AU or something it should gain a little bit more power compared to standard unleaded. No idea how it affects fuel economy though.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:56 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

joolz wrote:
But in europe the cars are made to handle its properties where as here with pre 98 falcons they are not, eg: fuel lines, seals, injectors are not suited to handle ethanol which is water soluable.

Sounds like your a Today Tonight junky, what they say on TV you listen to and form an opinion... nice nice

Fulli Sik Re

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:27 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Au2 & EF

QLD, Australia

CHEF wrote:

In an older motor, a bit low on its compression due to age, ignition system is ok, but not as new so the spark is a little down on power, and the timing has started to retard itself due to age again... this motor will still go ok but there wont be much difference in high and low octane fuels... this is due to it burning the fuel inefficently.

Now, on a newer motor, with good high compression, and a perfectly firing ignition system running a more advanced timing will always make better power and ecconemy on 98 octane compare to 91... its going to burn and use the extra octane in the fuel much more efficiently
That makes complete sense! My Ef has over double the Kms but the head & lifter are 3 km old BUT not the rest.

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:28 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Au2 & EF

QLD, Australia

CHEF wrote:

That makes complete sense! My Ef has over double the Kms but the head & lifter are 3 km old BUT not the rest.

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Esky

WA, Australia

i dont run normal unleaded in my ef as it doesnt run as well as bp ultimate, it makes a considerable difference in kms and im not fussed paying extra 8 cents for it :)

Team EGO

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Wagon, ph34r!

WA, Australia

fnp wrote:
As far as I was aware, the EL onwards had a knock sensor which allowed it to advance the engines timing depending on the octane rating of the fuel, hence if you put ultimate into an AU or something it should gain a little bit more power compared to standard unleaded. No idea how it affects fuel economy though.

But don't ELs have distributors and thus make it impossible to automatically advance/retard the timing? The computer-controlled, distributorless systems on the EF, AU and BA on the other hand make on-the-fly timing adjustments a doddle in comparison. Of course, I could be way off-base...

Team Argon Silver

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII Ghia

as far as i know from the eb the computer could adjust when it fires to a certain exstent, cos when i did my timming on my old eb i had to bridge the pins so the computer would stop adjusting the timming, then i could set the base timming

Post subject: enthonol
Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL FAIRMONT GHIA 97

WA, Australia

i use premium bp unleaded, car rns heaps good and usually get around 485km/ tank, but have onyone eer used the Enthonol stuff? it doesnt wreck your car, if its older than a 88, and with the newer cars its acually better, i fileld up my tank with it and i got a extra 100kms from it so i was doing about 560 -590kms a week, and its cheaper than normal unleaded, not been a cheap scate but the amont of driving i do, i do about 800kms a week and thast not to go to work, so just thought i might add this, for anyone who does alot of k's

cheers

RUSTY

-------EL Fairmont Ghia with CUstome BA XR body kit-------

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:11 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

well i only use normal unleaded, cant afford the more expensive premium, but my car runs beutifully on just the normal stuff.
Every week, i drive from sydney to bathurst, spend a few days in bathurst just doing average driving around, then drive back to sydney and do just the average amount of driving, and i do this every week, and i only ever have to fill up once a week.
I havnt added up the km's, but it would be a lot.

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:15 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

The trusty old 6 banger is pretty economical out on the highway, its a piece of piss to crack 750km a tank if your crusing along between 100-120... FYI travelling at 150km/hr my 6 pot uses 10L/100km, very impressive indeed. But drive only short distances around town and you get bet your bottom dollar you will be slurping the fuel!

Around town, unleaded should do most people fine, its cheaper and your still going to slurp premium just as much. Doing a lot of highway work, premium is better, will return better economy without a doubt!

Fulli Sik Re

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR6

SA, Australia

My ef runs s**t on anything bar premo. Perhaps its the cam, perhaps the cat (which is fuct) dunno?

Not lost any demerit points

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: AUII Farimont

NSW, Australia

I barely noticed the difference in my au, got a little more k's on a trip but round the city if your only looking for extra km's its not worth it in my opinion

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next