Problems with handbrake release on BA's 

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Problems with handbrake release on BA's
Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:34 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon BA xr6

NT, Australia

:( I have had problems with my handbrake releasing and have been told that it is a design fault by ford on all AU's and BA Falcon's.

I need to find as many people as I can with the same problem. Ford will not find a answer for the problem until they feel that enough people have the same problem.

I have heard other cars that have had the same problem, I have been to another mechanic and he has given me a temporary fix that works all the time.

If you have the same problem (the drum and the plate inside the drum rub together and make a terrible grinding sound) please let me know

Specs: BA Xr6, Stat Nav, Preimum Audio, 2 x Alphine Type R 12inch subs, 18inch alloys, sunrooof, colour screen, front grill, sports exhaust 2.5" and extractors

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

um, i had this on my NL, not au or ba sorry; but same deal - i had to replace the shoes/brackets within the rear drivers side hub to piss that annoying noise off.
i couldnt explain how good it is to get rid of that noise, driving becomes enjoyable.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EA Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

I thought Ford have a fix for this problem, I am pretty sure my Dads AU got fixed for this problem when he had a service one time.

Full working BA Shifter now upgraded to BF Shifter.
BA headlight inserts in my EA headlights.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Daniel wrote:
um, i had this on my NL, not au or ba sorry; but same deal - i had to replace the shoes/brackets within the rear drivers side hub to piss that annoying noise off.
i couldnt explain how good it is to get rid of that noise, driving becomes enjoyable.

i have that problem in our ef...easiest fix is to have the radio turned on at a resonable volume ;)

Post subject: BA Handbrake Release problem
Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:27 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NT, Australia

I have had my vehicle in ford here about 6 times for this problem. Each time they have adjusted my handbrake and on the sixth time theyy realised that it was in fact a design fault that needed rectification. Unfortunately they are not allowed to do anything about it until for acknowledges that there is a design fault and that something needs to be done about it.

I have contacted ford australia and they have told me that until they have more complaints they are not going to find a solution for the problem. I have a temp solution for it but i would like it permanently fixed. I tried the whole turning the music up loud to drown the s**t out but it got to the state that people where staring at my car not out of admiration but in shock at the dreadful sound that it was making (and no not my music but the screeching noise coming from the rear tyres lol).

I have just about had enough, unless enough people complain about this they plan to use the same s**t design. I know that other people in the NT have had the same problem but they just take it out on the Ford dealer here instead of going to Ford directly. It is extremely frustrating, especially when they tell me that they refuse to do anything about it!!!

Specs: BA Xr6, Stat Nav, Preimum Audio, 2 x Alphine Type R 12inch subs, 18inch alloys, sunrooof, colour screen, front grill, sports exhaust 2.5" and extractors

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

ive not seen one yet... and i work at a ford dealer..

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

My AU11 has this pain in the a*** problem. Good one Ford!

AU2 XR6 VCT -PH4480 headers Redback 2.5inch High Flow Cat & cat back Henreich Edit KPM custom grind VCT Cam G & D intake Eagle spiral core leads Autolite Platimum Plus Plugs Leather Momo wheel Chrome highlights Custom sound system

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

is it possible to use an el/au handbrake unit instead of the ba one?
I presume there is a bifference if its more a ba thing.
Ive read a lot of complaints on xr6t.com.au and on FF.com regarding this problem, so its not like its just a few people.

I didnt want to turn the radio up to fix the problem, imho thats not fuxed thats just ignored..

good luck mate

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: FG II G6E TURBO

VIC, Australia

what a load of s**t, it simple they dont want to pay to fix it simple as that, the a series were renoun for the same problem when people adjust the handbrake incorrectly. Remove the discs, chamfer the sharp edge fairly well of the entire area of both shoes, clean it down properly and refit. The other guess would be is that the BA's are unlke the previous models in that the adjuster for the shoes only turns one direction. Thus if they attempted to adjust them and went to far they would be unable to back it off again with dis-assembling the brakes to back it off, or they adjust it at the handbrake too far and in doing so stretched the cable causing play and give in the cable

Post subject: HAndbrakes
Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:37 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NT, Australia

Yeah I have had the whole adjustment problem, but unfortunately that was not the problem. The problem is that the plate that sits inside the drum is only held in place by a s**t wire that is 3 mm thick, so of course the damn thing knocks back and hits the outer cover thus creating the s**t sound, it ends up louder than my exhaust!!! When it does happen I chuck my car in reverse with the handbrake on and the plate than shifts forward again. So that i don't get the noise anymore I don't use my handbrake.... I just want as many people as possible to contact ford and have a go at them, they just couldn't give two flying f**k about this problem and just want to sweep it under the carpet.
I just have had enough of all the s**t, my fathers a mechanic and he has a solution for this problem but i don't want to source the solution myself until I know that Ford WILL NOT do anything about it. I have a car that is a year and a half old and all I have had is problems with the hand brake like there is no tomorrow. When I have a new car I expect the damn thing to work like it is meant to and if it doesn't I expect the supllier to fix the f**k thing...

Sorry guys I'm just a tad p****d off that I have had to fight for them to even think about looking for a solution... and yet I still haven't gotten anywhere!

Post subject: Re: Problems with handbrake release on BA's
Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: au xr8 & 5.0 eb

VIC, Australia

Blood Orange XR wrote:
:( I have had problems with my handbrake releasing and have been told that it is a design fault by ford on all AU's and BA Falcon's.

I need to find as many people as I can with the same problem. Ford will not find a answer for the problem until they feel that enough people have the same problem.

I have heard other cars that have had the same problem, I have been to another mechanic and he has given me a temporary fix that works all the time.

If you have the same problem (the drum and the plate inside the drum rub together and make a terrible grinding sound) please let me know
my au did this and drove me insane i found 2 fixes for this one was moly grease where the handbrake shoe sits on the adjuster which i think will fix yours given it couldnt have done many ks the next was a handbrake repair kit from repco $140 new shoes clips ect solved my problem the grease solved part of my problem the grinding sound(ford told me backing plate aswell but wasnt the case) but then if i adjusted it it would drag when i backed it off it would rattle its head off turns out my l/h brake shoe was out of round hope this helps coz it drove me insane for months

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ddarby wrote:
My AU11 has this pain in the a*** problem. Good one Ford!
the really sad part is that ford won a design award for that handbrake set up lol i think someone should have been sacked for it,its only a piss poor copy of the commodore set up and they dont have this problem :x

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:03 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NT, Australia

Yeah I can't believe they won an award for it...

I think for up here didn't expect me to kick up such a stink cause now when it goes in there they are as helpful as anything.... pitty ford australia wont follow suite... lol

thanks guys for all your responses i'm just glad that there are other people who have had the same problem, hopefully it will make ford actually move their a**'s and come up with a solution. Then again probably wont make any difference.

Other than that I can say I have been more than happy with my XR. She looks great and drives great... hard to do burnouts with her though hehehehe :lol:

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:06 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NT, Australia

yeah she hasn't done many km's and I will definately keep all your suggestions in mind, at the present moment she has stoped making the noise (the whole reversing with the handbrake on is working and I only have to do it about once every 3 weeks) no more stupid looks from other motorists lol

still can't believe they won an award for such a s**t design

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Blood Orange XR wrote:
yeah she hasn't done many km's and I will definately keep all your suggestions in mind, at the present moment she has stoped making the noise (the whole reversing with the handbrake on is working and I only have to do it about once every 3 weeks) no more stupid looks from other motorists lol

still can't believe they won an award for such a s**t design
buy reversing your making me sure you only need the grease coz you just pushing the shoe back its an easy job just pull the wheel off then the caliper(2 bolts)then the disk(1 screw) and you will see where it sits just put the grease on push the shoe forward and back a couple of times then put it all back together and go ask ford for a job as workshop forman coz you fixed what they couldnt lol

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next