Fordmods Logo

put the ss induction in... 

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: put the ss induction in...
Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:00 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

NSW, Australia

put the SS induction in the other night with my mate, very happy i got it, since i been driving with it the fuel economy has gone from 14.5->14.9's (average)down to about 12.6->13.1 (average), so im happy about that and it feels as if it is more responsive, specially if i am doing about 90->100 on the freeway and put my foot down, it picks up a lot quicker!! makes a nice airy sound under the bonnet too!
good $280 well spent!

Attachments:
ssinduction.jpg
ssinduction.jpg [ 128.3 KiB | Viewed 176 times ]

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:54 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA XTS, BF Xr6 Turbo Ute

QLD, Australia

where did u get the ss system for $280? I am currently running an AUIII XR8 snorkel and scoop with a k and n filter. Would the ss system be better? I have hard they are pretty much the same.

Ford Fan: Since 1987 - Born a Blue Oval Supporter!

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:07 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Depends. The AU XR snorkel is just a Crazy Clarks version of the SS induction system.

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Surf, Turbo Diesel

VIC, Australia

what he means is, same s**t... just like 1/8 of the price (lol actually an 8th of 280.... (assumine price is $35))

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Ive got to ask myself, If this does actually give you almost 2L/100k's better fuel economy then why wouldnt Ford use them? A plastic snorkel would cost like 5c to make and would give ford a sizable fuel economy advantage over commodore.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

Looks like it's using more fuel by that reckoning to me. Unless there your own calculations.

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

I think I have posted my quota of calculations this month...

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:14 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

those fuel readings are going by the trip computer, i tried for ages to get my fuel below 14L/100k's, i even tried driving like a grandma for a whole tank, and i couldnt, i thought something was wrong with my car, cuz according to the nrma website BA XT's ARE MEANT TO DO LIKE 11.6l/100K's, anywayz, this seemed to do the trick, and thats with fairly normal driving, and yes, they are fairly expensive, im no rich bastard but i wanted one cuz they look nice, that and they sit nice and FLUSH, and my mate wif an XR6T luvd it and said i should get one, im pretty happy with it...ahahah i guess i'd wanna be for that price though hey, compared to an xr8 snorkel at $35, ah wells, im happy wif it :D
all you get in the kit is the massive snorkel, some foam strips to help seal it, i also used a bit of sykaflex, and to air scoops that you place behind your grill, pretty spensive for wot it is...oh and a sticker...

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:17 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

getting the k&n today or 2moro for $100, they are pretty pricey i reckon!! ahwells...i said when i got this car i dont want any shonky stuff on it, i want it all to be good and proper, think that another reason i went for the ss induction over the xr8 snorkel, BUT im not saying the xr8 snorkel is shonky, so dont flame me guys... :P

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:11 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA XR6

VIC, Australia

Looks good NABAXT, once u put the filter in it will sound and go even better. :) Should put the secondary xr8 cai behind the headlight in aswell

2003 BA XR6 - Intercooled Vortech Supercharger 243rwkw @ 8psi - 13.09 @ 109.6mph

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:08 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

XRCIST: i have heard about that, how do i do it and what snorkel/products do i need to use?
cheers,
dave.

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:06 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA XR6

VIC, Australia

I sent you a pm
Cheers George

2003 BA XR6 - Intercooled Vortech Supercharger 243rwkw @ 8psi - 13.09 @ 109.6mph

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
Ive got to ask myself, If this does actually give you almost 2L/100k's better fuel economy then why wouldnt Ford use them? A plastic snorkel would cost like 5c to make and would give ford a sizable fuel economy advantage over commodore.

People claim on here that the Tickford snorkel and K&N air filter give an improvement over stock, so why didn't Ford at least fit Tickford snorkels to all the cars (I mean after all they made the Tickford snorkels aswell, didn't they?)?
I don't see how a larger snrokel that allows more air through increases economy, I mean at full flow it should reduce economy as more air is flowing and so more fuel should be added to the mixture to burn with the increased air!
At normal driving I wouldn't think the economy would be any different as the air wouldn't be flowing at the snorkels maximum, so it should be any restriction or anything?

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:21 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

i reckon ford put a smaller snorkel on the standard falcons, talking about the BA's, so it could maybe limit/restrict the engine a bit, just to make a difference between that and the N/A XR6 same as the headers on the XT's restrict them to the s**t!! cant wait to get my extractors, in about 3-4 weeks hopefully :) ...but then again i could be speaking s**t...

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EF Futura

QLD, Australia

hmmm....the ss induction sure does look good....
is there much (if any) difference in having the ss induction put in or just getting the xr8 snorkel from ford? other than price that is.
im hoping that someone replies to this tonight as i will check it in the morning and then go to ford on my lunch break at work n get the snorkel if thats the one to go for.
now keep in mind my car is still 100% stock as i only got it last friday...its an EF series 2 futura with only 149000k's on the clock :D $5k...i figured it was a good buy.
pitty about my au falcon...some f**ker hit my from behind, put me into a wall n kept on driving...oh well, not much i can do now other than trick out the EF, the only problem is convincing the gf to let me spend the money in my bank so i can put in an exhaust system with new cat n some extractors.

au3xr8 snorkel
pioneer head unit
4 way pioneer 6x9's
tinting

soon to come...
superlows with new shox
full exhaust system with pacies
wheels (YAY! finally get rid of the hub caps)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next