Fordmods Logo

Putting an ef xr6 engine into stock EL 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Putting an ef xr6 engine into stock EL
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford EL

SA, Australia

When i put the ef xr6 motor into a el i know i have to change the looms over but when i change the dizzy over do i have to get the timing done through the computer or should i just be able to use a timing light. Is there anything else i would need to change putting the ef xr6 motor into a stock el????

Post subject: Re: Putting an ef xr6 engine into stock EL
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:47 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

you run a self test on the computer. Once the computer finishes testing it locks base timing into the motor. You then use a timing light and twist the dizzy to set the base timing. You have two minutes to do this before the computer goes back to automatic advance. best to have the ratchet already set up on the dizzy clamp so you can check, twist, check, clamp...

Looms need swapping as you said. Coil pack needs to be removed and coil put in it's place. Pretty sure the crank angle sensor wont be used on the EL. Off the top of my head that's about the extent of the variations.

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Also,

to find self test into go to the resource tab up the top and then into the tech docs section. Is a plethora of info in there on various things inc the self test.

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

How do you do a self test? Do you need a computer hooked up to it or what?

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

see my post above^^^

Nope OBDI was fairly simple... In the e series section in the tech docs... You'll find it...

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Just out of curiosity. With the computer in the el will that run the xr motor and what would happen if i put the ef xr6 computer into el will it still run the distributor? but would it hurt if i left the stock el computer in with the xr motor?

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Na the stock computer will trim the injector pulse as the XR motors have a slightly larger fuel pressure regulator in them... Other than that it will run fine and you wont notice much difference at all... XR spec motors didn't get much power increase and it was an increase due to many things... It'll run much the same as it does now...

You can try putting the EF computer in it... I highly doubt you'll succeed because the EF computer has 104 pins and the EL has 60 pins... EF computer will not work with a dizzy even if you made up a patch harness... It requires the crank angle sensor, the cam syncro and the coil pack...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

So its easier to leave the stock computer in? and it will just run like a stock motor?

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:33 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

You have the slightly cleaner head... But even with a EL XR computer... It's not going to give a tremendous amount of difference... The XR cam is nothing to write home about... I'd look around for a good priced EL XR computer to make the most out of it... Remember the computer is specific to the transmission... Took me a while but I picked up an EL XR manual computer for my ED for $150 so that was alright...

Other alternative is to get onto jason... He is TI Performance on the home page under sponsors... And have him do up a chip for your computer to XR spec... Everyone has good reviews about his product... But I had heaps of trouble so no don't run one...

Cheers,
Tim

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]