Fordmods Logo

putting oill in gear box 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: putting oill in gear box
Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 454

Joined: 31st Mar 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 05 XR6 Mk II Falcon Ute

Location: thornton
NSW, Australia

whats the easiest way to put oil in to the gear box

 

_________________

EL Futura 5 speed factory:PH47FL goneeeee :(
04 BA XR6 Mk II Sedan: XR67OY gonneee..
2010 250R ninja: gooneeee.
BF 2007 F6 typhoon:F6FOON gonnnee.
05 BA XR6 Mk II Ute: latest

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: putting oill in gear box
Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:43 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

im assuming its a 5 speed???
i usually use a length of garden hose and a small funnel run the hose from the rear of the engine in the engine bay into the box...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: putting oill in gear box
Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 454

Joined: 31st Mar 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 05 XR6 Mk II Falcon Ute

Location: thornton
NSW, Australia

ok thanx dude

 

_________________

EL Futura 5 speed factory:PH47FL goneeeee :(
04 BA XR6 Mk II Sedan: XR67OY gonneee..
2010 250R ninja: gooneeee.
BF 2007 F6 typhoon:F6FOON gonnnee.
05 BA XR6 Mk II Ute: latest

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: putting oill in gear box
Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 40

Posts: 1667

Joined: 23rd Dec 2004

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Boosted ED XR6, EBII Mont Wgn

Power: 252 rwkw

Location: Mildura
VIC, Australia

They (T5) have a sump plug in the side of the box, IIRC its on the passenger side of the box, I used to use one of those one litre containers with the hose and just squese the bottle, but now I've got a Tom Thumb pump it's a one litre bottle with a small hand pump, works a treat...

 

_________________

Image
[SEXYR-6] ED XR6 T5 Turbo Build
[EBW-347] EB Wagon V8 Stroker Build
FordMods Member #1761

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: putting oill in gear box
Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 454

Joined: 31st Mar 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 05 XR6 Mk II Falcon Ute

Location: thornton
NSW, Australia

mines on drivers side, all done service done

 

_________________

EL Futura 5 speed factory:PH47FL goneeeee :(
04 BA XR6 Mk II Sedan: XR67OY gonneee..
2010 250R ninja: gooneeee.
BF 2007 F6 typhoon:F6FOON gonnnee.
05 BA XR6 Mk II Ute: latest

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: putting oill in gear box
Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:50 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 11738

Joined: 17th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

sexyr6 wrote:
They (T5) have a sump plug in the side of the box, IIRC its on the passenger side of the box, I used to use one of those one litre containers with the hose and just squese the bottle, but now I've got a Tom Thumb pump it's a one litre bottle with a small hand pump, works a treat...


T5 are on drivers side :D.

TROYMAN wrote:
im assuming its a 5 speed???
i usually use a length of garden hose and a small funnel run the hose from the rear of the engine in the engine bay into the box...


+1...easiest and fastest IMO.

phong =P~

 

_________________

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: putting oill in gear box
Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 6746

Joined: 13th Mar 2006

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane

Location: Bathurst
NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
im assuming its a 5 speed???
i usually use a length of garden hose and a small funnel run the hose from the rear of the engine in the engine bay into the box...



Yeah it should just dripple out of the fill plug when full.

*edit note that the drain plug is sometimes tight as f**k

 

_________________

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Last edited by Froudey on Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: putting oill in gear box
Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 43

Posts: 3804

Joined: 22nd Apr 2007

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

Location: Wellington
New Zealand

Should dribble out the FILL plug when full. There are two plugs, both on drivers side. Bottom one drains. Top one fills. You'll need a fairly big sized hex (allen key) if your plugs are the same as mine.

It should take a fraction over two litres to start dribbling out the top plug.

Fill with a quality Dextron III and Lubrizol 7906 (Lubrizol is original company who made it, but there is a product called PENRITE LZ 7906 - same thing) or go with TRANSMAX Z auto fluid.

If you're the only person there when doing it, I suggest a length of hose about 1.5m long and hooking a funnel up to the open bonnet by twisting a wire around the funnel and through the bonnet latch mechanism. Pour two litres in, wait for the tube to clear a bit, check underneath and pour in another 100ml.

If mixing LUBRIZOL in, pour it down the tube first!!!
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: putting oill in gear box
Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:22 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 11738

Joined: 17th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

fiend wrote:
Should dribble out the FILL plug when full. There are two plugs, both on drivers side. Bottom one drains. Top one fills. You'll need a fairly big sized hex (allen key) if your plugs are the same as mine.

It should take a fraction over two litres to start dribbling out the top plug.

Fill with a quality Dextron III and Lubrizol 7906 (Lubrizol is original company who made it, but there is a product called PENRITE LZ 7906 - same thing) or go with TRANSMAX Z auto fluid.

If you're the only person there when doing it, I suggest a length of hose about 1.5m long and hooking a funnel up to the open bonnet by twisting a wire around the funnel and through the bonnet latch mechanism. Pour two litres in, wait for the tube to clear a bit, check underneath and pour in another 100ml.

If mixing LUBRIZOL in, pour it down the tube first!!!


I'd say put 1L in first, then Lubrizol, then the last 1L...will mix well.

phong =P~

 

_________________

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: putting oill in gear box
Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:21 am 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

while the factory recomends dexron and lubrizol..
and it is fine and does what its surposed to..
i find that using penrite fully synthetic 75 gear oil is far superior and is designed for manual gear boxes where auto trans fluids are recomended.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: putting oill in gear box
Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:42 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 43

Posts: 3804

Joined: 22nd Apr 2007

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

Location: Wellington
New Zealand

phongus wrote:
I'd say put 1L in first, then Lubrizol, then the last 1L...will mix well.phong =P~
Yeah, okay Mr Fussy pants!

Nah, you're quite right really... Thing about Lubrizol is that it sticks quite well to the tube walls on its way down, and you really need to wash it through with the gear oil anyway (did I say loudly "go to Bunnings and buy a clear tube for a couple of dollars?!!!" - ooops - missed that bit?)

Still a fair point though - with oil already lining the wall of the said delivery device (clear tubing from Bunnings at less than $2 / metre) the Lubrizol would slip in down the said Bunnings tubing a lot more effortlessly. I liked the idea of hooking the funnel up to the open bonnet as I could pour some in (say a few hundred ml) and then duck underneath to make sure all was expected and I wasn't wasting the stuff. It takes quite a few seconds for the product to reach its destination so you always have the chance of crimping the pipe or what have you if anything goes wrong.

Don't really see what could go wrong... Maybe a couple of insects fall into the funnel? Maybe a passing seagull causes a catastrophic chain of events by dropping a mussel coated in sea water into your oil container? Or maybe you didn't push the hose in far enough and the oil is now pooling on the driveway under your gearbox? Hell.
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:21 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names