Fordmods Logo

Question about Coil packs and Dizzys 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Question about Coil packs and Dizzys
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2004 Mazda Tribute

Coil packs and Dizzy's....

Am I correct in assuming that an engine fitted with a coilpack, as opposed to a dizzy, (eg compare EF to EL) will have more control over spark advance, and thus be able to take more advantage of higher octane fuel?

Any other differences between them would be good to know. Just out of curiosity!

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Worth a read:

http://www.fordmods.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11422

I think by referring to higher octane fuel, you are talking about total advance... there's nothing stopping a TFI (well, there is kinda...) system matching the total advance of a coil pack... but expect the coil pack to have better control of the spark advance and provide better spark... but yeah - for example, both can provide 40deg BTDC if required...

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2004 Mazda Tribute

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Worth a read:

I think by referring to higher octane fuel, you are talking about total advance... there's nothing stopping a TFI (well, there is kinda...) system matching the total advance of a coil pack... but expect the coil pack to have better control of the spark advance and provide better spark... but yeah - for example, both can provide 40deg BTDC if required...

I guess what I really meant is does the engine computer have control... rather than slightly twisting the top of the dizzy, old skool 70's style ;-)
Forgive the ignorance!

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:16 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

96ghia wrote:
4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Worth a read:

I guess what I really meant is does the engine computer have control... rather than slightly twisting the top of the dizzy, old skool 70's style ;-)
Forgive the ignorance!

No, the TFI module bolted to the side of your dizzy receives a SPOUT signal from the ECU, which allows for timing to be advanced or retarded (from the 10* BTDC base timing position). I'm not sure by how much exactly, but I'd guess around 20* of variation either way.

The issue with a single coil firing 6 plugs per 720* is the limited amount of dwell available, as the coil needs time to recharge for the next spark event, whereas the coilpacks, comprising of 3 seperate coils can dwell for longer as each coil only has to be ready twice per 720*. Currently the dwell set for my coilpack (EDIS) setup is 4.8ms, whereas if it were a single coil/dizzy (TFI) setup i'd be limited to 2-3ms.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]