Fordmods Logo

Question about starter relay... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Question about starter relay...
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 1999 AU futura

NSW, Australia

Lately because of the hotter weather i have been having trouble with starting my engine.Car is a 94 ED Falcon futura i6.

I have replaced all the relays beside the battery,cleaned all the terminals.

Replaced both battery terminals and also run a hot earth style earth setup to help with the earth.(once i had done this i didnt have any trouble starting my car for 2 days.)

I have limited it to either being a faulty ignition switch or something to do with the wiring of the LPG system.

I have been slowly removing the gas system.(Dont want to run gas.)

What actually happens is when sitting cold,you can start the engine no worries.But when you have driven and then stop the engine for a few minutes it takes sometime before it will start again.

(when this happens the engine does not crank or wind over,the dash lights do not go dull,the brake fail light comes on and if you hold the key in the crank position you get a growling noise from the right hand lower side of the dash and kick panel)

Now what i want to know is if i have the ignition turned to the ON position and then bridge the starter relay will the engine start????If this is possible you could run a easy Push button START this way.

If anyone has come across this please dont hesitate to let me know,your help will be very much appreciated.

cheers Bryan

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:09 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

are u askign why the car wont start or how to make a piss easy starter button?

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA Falcon Classic

WA, Australia

bridging the starter relay is essentially the same as supplying power to it (if it was working correctly), which holding the key in the start position will do.

I would check the BCM, since they are known for issues such as this. next time it dosent start, give the area above your left knee a good smack, and see if it makes a difference.

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I'm asking for help,why my engine wont crank its an intermittent fault.
I wasnt asking about wiring up a switch,when i mentioned that (i thaught that might help some people out when wiring up there own start button switch.)

Will pull out my BCM today and have a look inside if i have any dry solder joints or burnt out capaciters.But im leaning towards a faulty smartlock pigtail off the ignition barell will also have a look at the condition of that.

As i mentioned the start button switch,if my problem was related to the smartlock pigtail and was only having dramas in the crank position,by wiring up a push buttom start switch this should bypass my problem???please correct me if im wrong.

cheers Bryan

Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:12 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
are u askign why the car wont start or how to make a piss easy starter button?
Read the thread Numbnuts !!!

KRUPTD wrote:
As i mentioned the start button switch,if my problem was related to the smartlock pigtail
Smartlock should be flashing codes if that was the case.

KRUPTD wrote:
As i mentioned the start button switch,if my problem was related to the smartlock pigtail and was only having dramas in the crank position,by wiring up a push buttom start switch this should bypass my problem???please correct me if im wrong.
You'd need to source ignition power from other than the BEM - it'd only be a bandaid solution, if smartlock is giving you cranking problems, it may not be giving the signal to the ECU for the injectors to operate. I'd be guessing the smartlock light is not giving any codes ??
As mentioned, try another smartlock module, also (if the car's an auto) test the operation of the neutral safety switch.
A start button is very easy to setup - all you need is a button of your choice, and a 5 pin relay, this is so you can setup for button start, or still use the ign key. All you need to do is control the solenoid line from the ign barrel - all low current stuff.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The fault exists when the temperature is high,on cooler days its fine.
When it happens it will not turn the engine over at all,its very similar to a BCM fault where you tap the lower left side of the dash but,tapping the dash this does not help.

Today i purchased a momentary switch(push style switch),some 10amp wire,some male and female blue connector's,a blade fuse block and some 10amp fuses.

I am going to wire up the switch with a power wire from the positive side of the battery with the 10amp fuse in this line to the switch and the other side of the switch will run to pin 87 on the starter relay.This should still work fine and still be able to start the engine with the key if need be????

This way the starter relay is still working but i am using a switch to switch the starter relay instead of the ignition switch,(if the fault exists in the ignition switch assembly.)

The switch i purchased is a 25amp 12v switch from repco and i have located it in the cigarette lighter spot,which fits like a genuine item (will relocate the cig lighter to a new home.)

Will post some pics up tomorrow.

Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

I bridged the starter relay via an in dash switch that conveniently looked like a 2nd fuel door button, its easy as mate, i had the same problem as you

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the help guys.
67RCE is this on Your AU???

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Nope it was on my old ED XR6

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]