Fordmods Logo

Questions about the EL GLi. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Questions about the EL GLi.
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA Ghia '03

I just bought an EL GLi to replace my EB, it's pretty standard but I wanna get the mods going straight away. So I've got a couple of questions.

My mirrors only turn right, and that applies for both mirrors, they don't go up, down, or left. What's happened here?

I wanna put in the clock with the fuel range and such, I heard you have to do a mod to get the fuel stuff working right, any easy way of doing this?

Do I have to replace anything else if I want to fit a fairmont front bumper on it?

And finally, do the EF taillights fit and work straight away?

Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Questions about the EL GLi.
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: AUII XR8 ute

VIC, Australia

Tech90 wrote:
I just bought an EL GLi to replace my EB, it's pretty standard but I wanna get the mods going straight away. So I've got a couple of questions.

My mirrors only turn right, and that applies for both mirrors, they don't go up, down, or left. What's happened here?

I wanna put in the clock with the fuel range and such, I heard you have to do a mod to get the fuel stuff working right, any easy way of doing this?

Do I have to replace anything else if I want to fit a fairmont front bumper on it?

Cheers.

You have to run a couple of extra wires to get the trip computer to work theres a full rundown in the technical rescources. Unsure about the rest

How many bears could Bear Grylls grill if Bear Grylls could grill bears?

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

The fact that both of your mirrors are doing the same thing makes me think the switch itself is faulty.
HEre's the tech doc you need for the trip computer. http://www.fordmods.com/documents.php?d=32
I know for the EF's you need to to swap the bonnet and headlights over as well if you want to fit a Fairmont front bumper on, I'm 95% sure it's the same for the EL's.
The tail lights are a straight swap.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

You will need to read in the tech docos how to do the trip computer but its pretty easy just need to add 3 wires, and you will need a fairmont bonnet/headlights to do the front bar swap, tail lights are a simple swap

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Cheers guys. Reading the document now and it looks like something I can do easily.

Are the fairmont back bumper bars any different?

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

just the strip in the top of it is painted the same colour as the car i think,

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i personaly wouldnt bother with all the fairmont goodies if thats what you were thinking of doing because if you read the other docos about the climate control its a bit more of a mission and at the end of the day if you have air con and a heater who cares if its got a screen and 50 billion buttons, but ill be putting my trip computer and possibly my power window gear from my fairmont into the falcon im getting next.

BF XR6

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Tech90 wrote:
Cheers guys. Reading the document now and it looks like something I can do easily.

Are the fairmont back bumper bars any different?

Rear bars are the same for all EF/EL only the mouldings are different. EF/EL fairmont bonnets, headlights and front bars are the same. Only the grills are different and they are interchangable. You will need all these to fit a Fairmont bar to your GLi, also you will need a Fairmont bonnet catch.

EF and EL Tail lights are interchangable, just plug and play. EF & EL Fairmonts have the same tail lights, only the GLi, Futura and XR were different.

Also Esteven8 is on the mark by the sound of it, all mirror contols are the same and interchangable from GLi through to Fairlane.

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

Here's my 2 cents.

I would suggest as mentioned earlier that the switch is faulty, replace that, and let us know how you go.

This is called a trip computer, it's a fairly straight forward swap, and there's a technical document here on Fordmods that describes how to do it, it is very accurate too as I have fitted trip computers using those instructions and it has worked fine.

http://www.fordmods.com/documents.php?d=32

Yes, the headlights and bonnet will need to be replaced, the bonnet latch is also different, and some of the plastic splash gaurds are different, everything will bolt straight on however.

Bolt straight in, plug into your standard wiring looms, and away you go, You will need to source some amber globes for the indicators though, these can be had from your local supercheap/repco for about $5

Gab

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Thanks for the input guys, it's certainly helped.

bry40l, the only electrics I wanted to add in fairmont wise was the trip computer, was thinking of cluster and power windows but I can get used to the window winders for now. You are right though.

The only reason I wanted to change the taillights is because the EF's are the clear ones and I rather have those than the ones with the amber...

Is the switch a seperatable part from the door trim? Or would I have to replace the whole door trim?

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

the mirror switch comes apart from the trim, but you remove the trim to get it out

BF XR6

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:50 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AUII XR8 Pursuit & EF XR6

NSW, Australia

Im pretty sure a bit of leverage you will get the switch out without removing the whole door trim. Just got to be careful, that is all.

- 1994 EF XR6, Auto, EL XR wheels. Clean and close to original ( Missus' Kiddie Chariot )
- 2001 AUII XR8 Pursuit ute, 5 speed, 18" alloys, custom tray. Goes alright!! lol

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i also have looked at puttting a fairmont(mid series) dash cluster into my next car as i have 2 spare fairmonts and its pretty easy to fit and you can also keep the same amount of kms as the previous dash from the gli, have a look here:http://www.fordmods.com/documents.php?d=14

BF XR6

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Okay I'll give it a go at getting the switch out, going to check if it's connected properly before I go get another one.

If I wasn't so worried about swapping the odo readings chip, I would go for swapping clusters, but I'm just no good with electronics :P

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

im gonna practise swapping between my 2 clusters and pluggin them in to c if they work fine before i swap the chip from the gli one as its got lowest kms by far :twisted: and i definatly dont wanna f**k it up

BF XR6

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next