R Spec 3 or R Spec 6 

Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Station Wagon.

Power: 150 rwkw

WA, Australia

Sorry to dissapoint ya guy's, Just for a base line figure my best run with the standard cam is 15.967, 60" 2.554 @ 139.93kmh,
I ran four one thousandths of a second quicker with the R6 15.972 60" 2.515 @ 140.48kmh.
But this seem's par for the course with my wagon, previously I had the R1 fitted and the best I ran was 15.852 60" 2.538 @ 142.41kmh.
I have a Rollmaster vernier cam gear fitted, a degree wheel and dial guage to dial the cam in. Top dead centre has been checked and the cams have been set as Jaysen has suggested, and then Iv'e been through the process of advancing and retarding the cam to try and find more power but have come back to Jaysens recomendations because you either start to loose top end or low down power.
Fault codes have been checked, I even fitted the standard cam and cam gear in again to check nothing had changed to slow the car down, still ran consistant flat 16s.
Any comments suggestions are welcomed because I'm stuffed if I know whats going on or where to go from here.

John.

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
Home port job. 1636 Wade cam. Wildcat Extractors, 2 1/2" cat and exhaust.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

try the cam on a standard head. by the looks of the porting job in your gallery, its to large.
you didn't happen to touch the combustion chambers did ya? it looks like its been de-shrouded around the valve area. every bit you remove from the chambers will lower compression traumatically.

I'll start again with a standard head for comparison, as a test unit then work your way up with a clean up only of the ports, don't enlarge anything.

bigger isn't always better with a unmatched cam. you're loosing power somewhere.

just trying to help out.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Port job was basically a clean up on the intake ports, removed a small amount from the exhaust ports mainly on the small radius. Yes I did de-shroud around the valves, minimal material removed, used the AU gasket to compensate, did a cranking compresion test and got 215 across all six cylinders which is quite high. Still doesn't explain why the standard cam is performing as good. Did heaps of research before starting the port job talked to heaps of people thats why I left the intake ports alone and removed more from the exhaust like what the XR heads have done with the larger exhaust valve.

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:53 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XR6 Wagon

WA, Australia

WagonDad wrote:
Port job was basically a clean up on the intake ports, removed a small amount from the exhaust ports mainly on the small radius. Yes I did de-shroud around the valves, minimal material removed, used the AU gasket to compensate, did a cranking compresion test and got 215 across all six cylinders which is quite high. Still doesn't explain why the standard cam is performing as good. Did heaps of research before starting the port job talked to heaps of people thats why I left the intake ports alone and removed more from the exhaust like what the XR heads have done with the larger exhaust valve.

Hey John just curious to know if you are running a standard ECU and fuel reg? I wonder if you ran XR ones it might change things?

ImageImage
EF XR6 Wagon,RPD R6 cam,Wildcat extractors, Magnaflow cat,2.5" Lukey exhhaust.
Too many more too list

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

WagonDad wrote:

It sounds like you're loosing port air velocity there somewhere. no question it'll flow really good but you've lost air velocity speed. not only that, it'll flow really good back wards.
Did you enlarge the exhaust bowl area & short side radius? I think the standard exhaust ports are already to big.

whack the spare head back on & see how it goes. I'll bet you'll have more power.{comparison}

No harm starting from square one, if you got the time & money.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

mmmmm geeezz, now im back 2 square one, I wanna get my head ported to suit the R6, but would this cam benifit from a port or would it perform better in the stock head??? or now take the money I was going to use for the port which is a fair amount and do the manual conversion. ggrrrr back 2 the books.

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Spare head is stuffed to soft thats why the new one. With the research I did including speaking to KEC-Kosteci and local head porters they all said not to enlarge the intake ports so I just cleaned them up, the main area they concentrated on was the exhaust port by cleaning up and removing/straightning the hump around the short radius. Being a novice with the head porting I was to scared to remove any real amount of material. Oh well its back to the standard cam for now until I can find another head or try a different cam, different cam will be the first option as it is easier and cheaper.

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Hey John just curious to know if you are running a standard ECU and fuel reg? I wonder if you ran XR ones it might change things?[/quote]

Hey Adam, Running standard ECU and fuel reg. The mods on your and my wagon are almost identical, K&N filter, wildcat extractors and 2 1/2" cat and exhaust, yours being an XR obviously runs the XR ECU,cam and 3.45 diff. Our 1/4 times are almost the same mine .1 second quicker, this confuses me even more because by rights you should run better times in XR spec. The high stall and shift kit didn't improve my 1/4 times.

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Hey wagon dad, what does the R6 feel like??

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I dunno where your cars are going wrong:(
Mine has R3, exhaust/extractors, nothing else and it runs consistent 15.5s..

As for porting a head to match cam specs... how do you know what matches the cam you have?

Here's an after thought.. are you stalling it up on the line? doing a decent pre-stage burnout? I dunno.. I really should have come down yesterday and we coulda compared

oh another thing.. maybe try changing up gears manually as the non-stock cams actually have usable power up top

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:51 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 16 images

Power: 165 rwkw

NSW, Australia

answer for AdamN, that was with the trans cooler fitted

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

damn.... cooked with a tranny cooler.. that sucks big time

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Yeah tried all that, but generally stay in drive to try and get some consitancy, mainly go to the drags to see if new mods make a difference.
Yes I do a pre stage burnout but its not necessary I dont break traction of the line, stall it up to 1800rpm any more and I start to move. I didnt port the head to match any cam specs, more just a general clean up to flow better.

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Molloy wrote:
Hey wagon dad, what does the R6 feel like??

Hey Molloy, As with the R1 and R6 you know there is a cam in the car, exhaust note is better idle is slightly lumpier. Overall the R1 seemed to have broader more even spread of power where the R6 seemed to have better low down power and ran out of breath up in the very top rev's. But if you looked at my 1/4 mile time slips side by side you would swear they were all from the same cam on the same night, at every stage down the track the times are within 100th of a second of each other.

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

hey wagon,
what are the specs for the r6?

Pakrat wrote:

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next