Fordmods Logo

R Spec 3 or R Spec 6 

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: R Spec 3 or R Spec 6
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:55 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Futura

QLD, Australia

I have read everything on the forum and I' m torn between the R3 and the R6. My car is an el futura with extractors/exhaust, tickford snorkel and currently an R1 cam, but I want to get something bigger once I have the 3.45 diff and xr6 computer. I was suppose to have the diff and computer by now but the company doing the work was sent an ef computer, and after installing the diff they discovered it had bent axels.

As much as I would love a T5, I've got quotes and because I need somebody to do the install, It's going to be too expensive. So, keeping the auto with the 3.45 diff and xr6 computer, what can I expect from either of these two cams? For example, idle quality, driveability, drive characteristics, where the power/torque is and how it's delivered, fuel consumption, strengths, weaknesses, and anything you can possibly think of. I will get the cam with valve spring, vernier gear, rocker gear, and probably a shift kit for the auto.

I'm leaning toward the R3 with the power band in the mid to high rev. range, but I'm concerned about how the auto will go down low. The R1 is great off the line with the 3.08 diff, and very responsive; with the xr diff and computer and R3 cam am I going to gain down low, sacrifice down low, or is it going to stay similar to my current setup with a shove in the back at mid revs. In comparison, what effect would the R6 have?

I'm also thinking about getting the HP4 chip and custom dyno tune from chiptorque. Has anybody dealt with chiptorque, is there any better options? Will the chip and tune help if I lose power/torque down low?

I know I have a lot of questions but I live in brisbane so I'm too far away for a demo. I'd also be interested in any problems people have experience with map sensors, vacuum or anything else. I want to make an informed decision so any input will be great. Thanks

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 5 Star Boxcar

NSW, Australia

r3 will be a little boggy down low with the auto. thats what i experienced, with the 3.45 it was a little better. now with the t5 its peeerrrrfecttttt

Kezz's 5sp Box Car ---> RPD enhanced with a bunch of other stuff

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Have a shot with the R6, jay said its basicaly a R3 for the auto.

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

meh i got r3 in my auto (3.23:1 diff).. just stall her up and she'll be fine.. the power from rolling start or through corners is awesome

Last edited by AdamN on Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA MkII XT Wagon

NSW, Australia

ive got an r6 to go in my rebuild...should be good...i hope

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:56 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Hybrid EL Futura

NSW, Australia

I just got a R3 for my EL Futura and its an auto with 3:08 diff, I will let u know how it goes when its in

Pacemaker Extractors, Hi-Flo Cat, Lukey Ultra Flow 2 1/2" Cat back, King Super-Lows, KYB Shocks, 18% Tint, RPD R4 Cam, Vernier Gear, Full Alpine Stereo, 16" Speedy Holotype R rims, Stage 1 Shift Kit, 3.45:1 LSD

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Pulco wrote:
ive got an r6 to go in my rebuild...should be good...i hope

ernie21 wrote:
I just got a R3 for my EL Futura and its an auto with 3:08 diff, I will let u know how it goes when its in

Awesome, this will give me a good indication. I look foward to hearing what you both think. But if the R6 is the same as an R3 but for the auto, then I probably should really consider it. Cheers.

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:01 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 16 images

Power: 165 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I agree with kezz, I got the R3 with an auto and 3.45 diff bit slow under 40 kph but once you hit about 2500rpm it screams, I'm considering going for a bigger cam

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

If you want driveability go the r6, especially if its your daily driver. The r3 is really a manual cam :)

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:14 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Thanks heaps guys. R6 looks like they way to go. Has anybody complimented the cam with ecu mods or anything else?

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EL XR6

VIC, Australia

sorry to steal the thread- but i was thinking of getting one or the other as well - i got a factory manual ef - will i need a xr computer or just maybe some high flow injectors??

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:19 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon FGX XR8

NSW, Australia

ill be looking at this thread closely as im in a fairly similiar position, R3 or R6- ive got an El Futura with a Factory manual, therefore its got the 3.23 diff so it will be interesting what you guys do.

EL Falcon XR6, 2.5in exhaust, extractors, ported throttle body, sequential intake, CMS stage 2 head. Tickford cam!!!!!
"158 RWKW"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErQSNeJmXsk (video of my XR6 on the Dyno)

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XD

VIC, Australia

in the same position... i have a factory manual... but worried it might suffer a bit on the highway and stuff with the R3 ?
(car does quite a few highway kms)

1997EL 5spd
mods: 2.5" redback catback, DBA slotted rotors, Pacemaker 4480's, Tint, K&N pod, 17" rims

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

sammut351 wrote:
ill be looking at this thread closely as im in a fairly similiar position, R3 or R6- ive got an El Futura with a Factory manual, therefore its got the 3.23 diff so it will be interesting what you guys do.

R3 without a doubt

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5 Star Boxcar

NSW, Australia

forsaken wrote:
in the same position... i have a factory manual... but worried it might suffer a bit on the highway and stuff with the R3 ?
(car does quite a few highway kms)

dont stress, my fuel econmony hasnt suffered at all if i drive sensibly

Kezz's 5sp Box Car ---> RPD enhanced with a bunch of other stuff

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next