Fordmods Logo

race pistions? more power? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: race pistions? more power?
Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

He lads any advantages to be had from slapping in a new set of racing pistions? (not sure the names of brands yet) would you get much more power from doing it?

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

depends on the piston crown, wether its domed, flat, dished, etc, as well as the compression height (both being factors in the compression ratio, higher CR=more power), otherwise they're just more resistant to cracking, deforming from extreme heat, etc

Banned

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Interceptor wrote:
depends on the piston crown, wether its domed, flat, dished, etc, as well as the compression height (both being factors in the compression ratio, higher CR=more power), otherwise they're just more resistant to cracking, deforming from extreme heat, etc

Performance wise the benifit isnt that huge...BUT when looking at performance modding these are a must...as well as other bottem end work to beef up the strength of your motor...no point havin 300 or what ever kw if it cant last a week or a dyno runa at that level....

ACL Race series pistons \ are normally the ones people get installed or custom ones

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ahh ok thanks what price would I be looking at?

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:43 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Nah, s**t man. To get the full benifits of "Racing Pistons" You're gonna need to throw in some racing rods and top it all off with a 3/4 race camshaft. That should be full sik bro.

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

sounds fully expensive uleh,

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

another thing with race pistons, especially the ACL RACE series, is they are a little bit lighter than a normal piston, on there own it might not sound like much (i think its only a couple of grams difference between a standard slug) but think of 6 pistons at 5,500RPM, theres alot of weight difference there.

Theres not a whole lots of power to be made by just putting race pistons and rods n whatnot in, thats realy a strength thing, your power comes from either head/cam selection, or turbos/superchargers

Forgot to mention, ACL RACE series rebuild kit for me 4L was about $895 from the local parts joint, which is pistons, gaskets, rings, bearings, and a cool acl sticker :)

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

that depends on what ACL race pistons you get. alot of them are forged now aand are alot weigh quite alot more than cast pistons.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
that depends on what ACL race pistons you get. alot of them are forged now aand are alot weigh quite alot more than cast pistons.

Yeah for forged most places will charge over 1K just for the the parts themselves....I got quoted i thnk round the $1400 for ACL race series bearings and forged pistons done for a low comp turbo setup

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: MY06 REX

WA, Australia

A couple months back at a cruise I was talking to a bloke with a VT 5litre commodore and he was trying to tell me that he had "forgies" put in his car, and nothing else done and he was running 12 second quarter miles... maybe in commodore land they give you more power?

The Evil Strawberry

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i think having a commodore allows you to tell fibs...and honoustly think people will beleive you.

A guy was trying to tell me the other day that his VN 'interceptor' V6 manual, with 'illegal fuel managment' different coil and distributer + diff gears would beat my mates 312rwkw VT SS manual... :roll: and that his 'interceptor' has seen high 12's before. i think he has his numbers mixed up, high 21's i'd beleive.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

lol, some competition for my bare stock eb then ;)

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

oh yeah its great, he took the VT SS to 3,500rpm (the cam is only just kicken in) through 4 gears, and i had to put my foot flat and take my car to redline just to sit next to him.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]