Fordmods Logo

Ran out of fuel now car won't start! Any ideas? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Ran out of fuel now car won't start! Any ideas?
Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford AU Marlin Ute on 20's.

NSW, Australia

Hi there. About 4 weeks ago on a drive back from Sydney, I ran the petrol out in my dual fuel AU Marlin ute. After the ute spluttered for a couple of seconds I then quickly switched it over to gas and it was fine. I then filled up the tank before heading home and the next morning when I tried starting it the bloody thing wouldn't start! I then sat there for about 10 minutes trying to start it and it eventually did start but was running very rough on petrol when under load (when accelerator was fully depressed). It would splutter and lose power until stalling but on gas it ran fine? I know that it starts on fuel but then switches over to gas and I can hear the fuel pump priming for a couple of seconds when I turn the key. Today I tried to start it again and it just kept cranking and cranking but wouldn't start? I eventually turned the key a few too many times until it just stopped (still had dash lights etc), but there was an awful burning smell coming from under the bonnet (starter motor burnt out maybe???). Anyway, I picked up another starter motor just in case but before I installed it I thought I might post on here to get any advice or info to diagnose the problem first? I did have a look at a similar thread on here but it didn't end up saying what it actually was? Please help!!! Cheers. Mick.

Post subject: Re: Ran out of fuel now car won't start! Any ideas?
Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:31 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

you have probably picked up all the nasty s**t in the bottom of the tank and blocked the fuel filter.

Change your fuel filter.

I have a car.

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:43 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Sounds like a fuel filter is completely blocked...or worst case scenario, your pump died.

Get someone to kick the fuel tank or bash the fuel pump cover while you're cranking it. If it starts, pump probably dead.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:18 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

mikey82 wrote:
but there was an awful burning smell coming from under the bonnet (starter motor burnt out maybe???) Please help!!! Cheers. Mick.

checkout the wiring around the starter motor .. you may have fried something other than the starter?

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Sorry I forgot to mention I replaced the fuel filter and checked plugs, leads and air intake and all good there, but still no go? Thanks for the other replies. Any other advice would be great. I will try banging the fuel tank as I crank it over but first I have to install another starter motor as I think I fried it cranking it over too much??? Thanks, I will also check the wiring around the starter motor. This is why this forum is so freaking valuable. All you people are life savers. Love the Ford owners :D

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:26 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

if ya can ... wire up an idiot light to the starter wiring so when you try start the light comes on - if your able to - connect car charger leads to starter and see if turns ova that way? only try if ya know what ya doing tho :roll:

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Ok will do Mad2. I'll get back to you with and update you with the result over the weekend sometime. Thanks heaps m8 :D

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:51 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

mikey82 wrote:
Ok will do Mad2. I'll get back to you with and update you with the result over the weekend sometime. Thanks heaps m8 :D

just remember i'm a "L" when it comes ta the fud :lol:

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: EF XR8

NSW, Australia

Like Phongus said, sounds like a fuel pump.

Whack the left hand side of your boot and get someone to crank it.

Blue blooded.

Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:29 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Also check any fuses and maybe relays. Pull the fuel pump or ignition relay off and then plug them back in. If it starts one of the relays may be stuffed.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5 speed XG ute

SA, Australia

I highly doubt this will work, but anyway. When i ran my xg out of fuel it would not start either. Was cranking over fine but would not go. A generous amount of "start ya bastard" and jumper leads off my gutlux and away she went... Not long after this happened the fuel pump died. My guess was the fuel pump was struggling to get fuel up due to it being on its way out, and the extra voltage from gutlux helped in turning it over very fast and the pumping more fuel and it got fuel finally and started. Maybe, as others have said, it is your fuel pump. Give it a whack as suggested and help it along with a jump from a mate and see what happens... Worked for me haha

Yep, I don't know what to write here...

Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:08 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 98 EL Falcon option 20 hybrid

VIC, Australia

Most likely the pump in quiet surrounds you should be able to hear the fuel pump wind/clicking when you turn acc on especially if you put you ear to the left hand rear quarter 10/10 this has worked for me no sound = no pump.

Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I can hear the pump engaging and priming but still no go??? I cranked it over with jumper leads attached from my partners car and while I was cranking it over I smelt what seemed like a burning electrical smell and then the car wouldn't crank at all? I still have dash lights when I turn the key but will not even crank now? Did I burn out the starter motor maybe??? My ute has been sitting on the front lawn for 2 weeks now! Any ideas would be awesome!!! Thanks to all that have commented so far, and thanks for the previous ideas, much appreciated. Mick.

Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Also this may help for any ideas to diagnose the problem. When I smelt the burning smell I opened the bonnet and looked to see where it may be coming from? It smelt the worst on the right hand side of the engine (passenger side), underneath the manifold up near the fire wall??? Sort of in between the air intake pipe and injectors but down lower is where the smell was coming from??? Hope this helps? I have tried to give accurate information as possible. I did change the relay but still no go??? PLEASE HELP!!! Cheers. Mick.

Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Fuel Pump probably f**ked :|

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next