Rapier Head and Head gasket change + Pics 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Rapier Head and Head gasket change + Pics
Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

well decided this weekend that it was time that i finally got around to changing the head gasket on my car, it has been leaking like a b**ch for a while.

Anyways the first step that we did was to take the bonnet off for easy access to the motor this is important as it would be a b**ch to do with out the bonnet off

we also drained all the fluids out oil and water this made it a little less messy

the next step after that we dismantled all the air intake piping and removed the throttle cables and everything else that was attached, all this was pretty straight forward, then we just removed the 4 bolt on top of the rocker cover and pulled it off this exposed the rocker gear and and valve springs etc.

next step after this was to remove the rocker gear off the are 20 or so bolts on there so air tools help nicely to remove all the once removed you can see the cam and springs beautifully.

now time to remove the cam before doing this we cable tied the timing change to the sprocket to stop it from going anywhere. then it was as simple as removing the bolt from the sprocket that goes in to the cam after that it simply lifts out.

now it was time to pull off all the bolt on accessaries this was teh most time consumin part taking the bolts off the BBM was a pain in the a** we also took the power steering pump off and the belt.

well it was now time to pull off the head bolts used a 14mm impact hex socket to get teh bolts off made fairly light work of it had no trouble getting any off them off really, took alot of force to get them off. was handy to have a mate with an air ratchet handy i cracked the bolts he then used the air tool to get them off.

upon inspection of the head gasked is was easy to see what the problem was all the watcher jacket holes in teh gasket has rusted up most complety rusted over, im suprised i never had heat problems with it! the other problem i noticed was that at some stage the intake valves have all made contact with the pistons, i have no idea how much of a problem that is.

unfortunately this is about as far as we got when fitting new valve springs to my new tickford head we managed to snap an arm off the valve spring compressor when putting the crow double valve spring on (tuff bastards)

well after that we sank a few beers feeling a little p****d off that we couldnt get it back to gether so we turned the falcon into a cop car

so car is out of action for a week and caus we were out country had to drive the NC home

well got the fairlane half way home before it snapped an alternator belt so it now sidelined in a country town for the time being, i assume it snapped because the car had been started for 18 months belt prob wasnt in the best condition.

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

dang, you'll have to come see me on Friday for a new belt.
sounds like your having as much trouble with your car as i'm with mine. the wagons doing some queer s**t at the moment.
those double springs have been a pain in the a*** for you to get in.

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

yeah they have they are as tight as a nuns nasties, its not a big prob that i didnt get it on, we got a belt today goin up tomorrow to put it on so we can drive the fairlane home. but should get my new cam this week so i can put it all in :P

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

that number 6 piston is looking pretty dirty....

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ED Falcon

SA, Australia

Nice pix Rapier and very detailed, I like it.
I am running an ED I6 and I noticed your rocker gear were pretty dark from oil/sludge/blowby, are you sure your piston rings are sealing ?

I post here cos the russian tank driver doesn't

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

nah im not sure infact im pretty sure they arnt the piston arnt in very good condition and the car is usinng a fair bit of oil. instead of changing the pistons or the rings at the moment im goint to look into building a bottom end up off an au or something

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 AU II Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

rapier, just on the note of valves contacting pistons, when i did my first head job, i thought the same thing. the pistons actually are made with these markings, so dont worry... if the valves were contacting the pistons, trust me, youd know about it!

Organza 2000 AU 2 Fairmont Ghia
4.0 VCT
JMM Race Series Exhaust
AWC TS50 Front bar
3.45 LSD

Coming soon:
G&D Airbox
CAPA Edit

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

yeah well thats what i kinda though normally when it makes contact it shatters the piston into peices lol

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Nice shiny cylinders! Not good unfortunately.

That's where your oil usage is coming from. Also, what cam are you putting in that needs uprated vavle springs? Or are they still just standard?

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

Nice work Tim
has your head been worked and what cam are you putting in?

Nicko

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

yeh putting in 1 1636 cam for now with the crow double valve spring the head im putting on looks like its had some porting and polishing done, but a part from that not much i got the springs nice and cheap (thanks twr7cx) i think they were 70 bucks so i though i would put them in. when i can afford it ill prob put a unichip in or something similar and run a 1521a or somthing like that, exhaust is still standard so that and a few other things need to be done first

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

yeah
exhaust will restrict teh cam a fair bit
mine opened up heaps when i got mine done

Nicko

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Neo_nick wrote:
yeah
exhaust will restrict teh cam a fair bit
mine opened up heaps when i got mine done

awes cam arrived yesterday will prob put it in saturday or sunday while i watch the race

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

It actually looks like it has overheated, judging by the colour of the rocker gear.

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

well it hasnt been overheating lately to my suprise considering the head gasket holes were all blocked up. but it did overheat when the radiator got clogged up about a year ago.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next