Fordmods Logo

rattle from under rocker cover 

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

falcondave wrote:
I got two new pulleys for $20 each and the tensioner cost $40. Better than $295 from Ford (the best I could do was $195 actually).

Where did you get pulleys and a tensioner that cheap from?

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:54 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 95 EFII Futura Wagon

NSW, Australia

AdamN wrote:

Where did you get pulleys and a tensioner that cheap from?

My local mechanic for the pulleys (good bloke, sold me the new belt for $30 too! - A six pack for him at Christmas) , the tensioner from a local wrecker.

Because it took me three goes to find a straight tensioner, I would think this is a common problem on the 6's.

"My theory is that the universe is made out of stupidity because it's more plentiful than hydrogen" - Frank Zappa

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

it is a common problem.. and there's no aftermarket solution for the i6 either.. just have to continue replacing them when they s**t themselves :(

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

you can just put in some very thin washers in the lower two bolts of the tensioner, i'm talking 1-2mm max thickness washers.

sounds dodgy but my el has now done 40,000k's and the old ef had done over 50,000k's with the washers in place and have had no dramas.

fastxr i havn't read the full thread, but if the noise is audable at idle then take the rocker cover off and start the car and try and pin point it, oil won't splatter every where at idle.

why do u write in here.

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Quote:
if the noise is audable at idle then take the rocker cover off and start the car and try and pin point it, oil won't splatter every where at idle.

nah the noise only comes in at a specific rev range, around about the 2500-2800 rpm mark, which is almost every gear change...

if i hold the revs at that point it will rattle continously until the revs either increase or drop down from that rev range...
wouldnt want to rev it that far with the rocker off! :D

so lets say if i rev the engine to 5500, the rattle will kick in at 2500-2800 rpm, then dissapears all the way to red line, then i take my foot off the throttle and as the revs come back down it will rattle in that 2500-2800 rev range.

it must be cam related, but i dont know how, what or why...
im running a stage 3 cam, starts making power between 2700-3000rpm
dont know the specs off the top of my head, but has 0.525" lift with a duration that gives my ecu some serious head aches :D [/quote]

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL GHIA

SA, Australia

i know this is an old thread but it may help as i had the same noises and replaced idler pulleys where were stuffed and you guessed it the noise was still there and sounded like stuffed timing chain

turned out it was the water pump bearing - no leaks just a stuffed bearing

now its all sweet and quiet :D :D :D

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:53 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

FAST-XR wrote:
i got the 2 pullies and a new belt put in last night, both bearings were stuffed as i already knew, but after that the rattle is still there!

could be a stuffed chain tensioner maybe not doing its job?

how about a blocked oil feed near the chain? cos ive noticed my oil pressure surging a bit more than usual.

i dont think its the guides cos i think the rattle would be much much worse and more constant.

the rattle i get is at its worse when revs are just higher than idle and seem to lessen as the revs increase then get worse as the revs start to fall below 2000 rpm, but even at idle and right through the rev range there is a faint constant noise

i have to get the rocker off to have a good look, hopefully this weekend...

it could be a long shot but there is a wire type mesh filter in the tensioner
maybe its blocked and is not getting oil..

my bro inlaw use to work at ford when the e series were a few years old and he said every time they did a timing chain or head gasket under warranty they would remove the little filter in the tensioner as they are known to block up..

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3