RD's upgrade - AU engine into EBII car 

Page 3 of 6 [ 77 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
Can't help you on 1,3 and 4 cause I've been drinking, but as for 2, EF to BF (probably FG as well? who knows) all use the same waterpump.
So EL pump will be fine.

Beauty, thanks for answering no. 2

They say they take them off because they can fail and they would like you to fit a new one re: overheating and warranty. But s**t i have one that's only done 96k.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Last edited by relaxed_diplomacy on Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Quote:
1. There is no alternator. There is one bolt hole in the block, one in the sump, and behind these is a metal bracket held on by two bolts. Does the AU alternator bolt directly to these, or am i missing a bracket? Can i use my EL alternator?

I just looked at a pic of a BA alternator and mounts and it looks exactly the same as my AU. I can't see how an EL alternator or bracket can fit the AU block. I don't really want to have to buy another alternator, any suggestions?

Quote:
3. Other fordmodders have swapped the upper inlet manifold for an EL item. Are they swapping the upper section of the inlet tubes, or just the single inlet where the throttle, ISC, etc is? Why?

Quote:
4. Do i fit an EF/EL a/c compressor onto the AU bracket, or onto an EF/EL bracket? On casual inspection the AU bracket looks like it might make the dizzy a tight fit, or interfere.

5. I was supposed to get the wiring and relays (fuses too?) with my thermofans but i did not. They tell me they don't do pre-AU falcons anymore, but can give me the stuff from an AU if i want. Can i use AU wiring/relays/fuses with my EL thermofans?

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

just buy 3 relays/holders/fuses and a tridon thermo switch and a t peice adaptor if its a fairmont and some wire and make up a davis craig diagram using twin fan thermo/single fan condensor

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I'm back! Circumstances saw me put the project on hold.

I practised with my new MIG on my trailer, then did the first stage of modding the front crossmember thingy on the EB. I added a piece of 3"x1" in front of the original square section bar, then removed the middle section of the square bar to provide clearance for the alloy sump. I got the front radius rod bushs smoking and flaming doing this, bummer, they were worn anyway, but i still hope they hold up for a while.

While i was at it i noticed the K-frame is slightly bent. I bought the car with a ding, and, well, i'm learning about it. It seems that the chassis rail has sprung back more than the K-frame. I could have swapped in the K from my spare car, but that would be a lot of work. The bend isn't much, i can live with it, it's not a show car by any stretch of the imagination.

fairmont1 wrote:
just buy 3 relays/holders/fuses and a tridon thermo switch and a t peice adaptor if its a fairmont and some wire and make up a davis craig diagram using twin fan thermo/single fan condensor

I'm putting in an EL ecu and plan to run the fans from that. I have read that the Davies Craig stuff only runs the fans either on or off, there are no middle settings as there are with the EL ecu.

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I did some engine work today and everything is going to plan. There's still a fair bit more to go.

I am confident that the EL alternator bracket and alternator has not a chance in hell of being fitted to the AU block, without doing engineering adaptation. I'd rather not go there. So unless anyone has any ideas i'm thinking i will need to get an AU alternator.

I have also learnt that the dizzy will not fit in conjunction with the AU A/C bracket. I am reliably informed that i should use an EF A/C compressor, so i am thinking i am also to use an EF A/C bracket, and that it will clear the dizzy. At least an EL bracket must surely clear the dizzy, at it would have to in an EL. Hang on, i have an EL bracket, or i should do, or is it the same as the EB and XG brackets?

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I did some more work today.

COIL - I tried to fit the coil using the two inner manifold bolts but the plug for the coil and a plug going into the manifold clashed. So i plan to use some 25mm x 3mm flat plate between one of the manifold bolts and the unused engine mount bolt hole, and mount the coil accordingly.

BA AIRBOX - I also fitted a BA airbox today. The inner guard needs to be hammered down a tad for the airbox to fit. I located the spot that needed work, then placed a piece of carpet like stuff over the metal to prevent damage to the paint, scratches, sharp dints, etc. I then picked up a say 2 to 2.5kg square headed, short handled mallet. The weight means you don't have to have a big swing, and the broad head reduces the chance of sharp dents. I gave the spot a soft tap first to judge what was required, then a harder tap. This did most of the job, creating a dimple about 4" in diameter and about 15 to 20mm deep. I then needed to expand the dimple off to one side, and then another side as well. The airbox then fitted as if it was designed for the car, bolting up to the existing bolt holes and looking designed for the location.

LPG MIXER - I tried to fit the mixer between the throttle body and the first section of plastic pipe (BA), but just couldn't make it work. So i fitted the mixer between the end of the first pipe and the flexible tube. The BA piping is impressively big all the way, except the snorkel mouth looks a bit small compared to the bigger options i've seen on this forum.

EBII ISC - I fitted a cleaned EBII ISC to the throttle body, using a gasket with only approximately 2mm holes in it. From memory the holes are small because otherwise the idle speed isn't managed correctly. From memory 2mm holes are about right, but i should have checked this to be sure.

WIRING HARNESS - I took some of the shrouding off the EBII wiring harness to free up some wires, and at the moment it looks like i might not have to do any other modifications, but i'm not 100% sure yet as the starter motor isn't fitted.

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I've now completed fitting the EBII engine wiring harness to the AU motor.

I didn't have to extend or modify any wires or plugs!

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:39 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:

thats good..

ive noticed that some looms have a slight difference in length.
as recently a few of us did a conversion on a eb and other than the tps and isc the rest of the wires didnt need to be extended at all.
but in other cases ive seen where the coil wire,starter wire had to be extended aswell..

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
relaxed_diplomacy wrote:

thats good..

ive noticed that some looms have a slight difference in length.
as recently a few of us did a conversion on a eb and other than the tps and isc the rest of the wires didnt need to be extended at all.
but in other cases ive seen where the coil wire,starter wire had to be extended aswell..

I did have to take a small amount of the shrouding off, and re-shroud of course. I fitted the main loom in the valley of the bbm, of course. I am probably more patient than most people and that may have been the difference.

I have two EBII looms and they look basically the same, but i didn't check exact wire lengths.

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

I agree, as Troyman and I found out, our two looms needed different adjusting, so there is some variance in the EB Looms.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I just made some minor refinements to my list.

Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

how are u going with the alternator issue...

the only info i have found is troymans version....I dont really like it, its too messy....

have u just decided to use the AU alt?

Id really prefer to use an EF or EB alt as they are a lot easier and cheaper to find secondhand...

Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:05 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

[quote="gogetta"]how are u going with the alternator issue...

the only info i have found is troymans version....I dont really like it, its too messy....quote]

:cry:
lol yea ill admit the one thats in the doco is a bit rough and ready.. :lol:
i didnt really like it eiher i had re made it since..

this is whats on there now..

Attachments:
au alt mod.jpg
au alt mod.jpg [ 89.57 KiB | Viewed 967 times ]
alt mod 2.jpg
alt mod 2.jpg [ 86.3 KiB | Viewed 970 times ]

Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

gogetta wrote:
how are u going with the alternator issue...

the only info i have found is troymans version....I dont really like it, its too messy....

have u just decided to use the AU alt?

Id really prefer to use an EF or EB alt as they are a lot easier and cheaper to find secondhand...

I double checked today to see if i could fit my EL bracket and alternator, but the AU is very different in this area to the EL.

I'm hoping i might be able to swap my shiny EL one for an AU one at a friendly wrecker, with cash adjustment as required. If i make a business proposition they ought to consider it, and i will buy other stuff at the same time which should help too.

Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

troyman, your new bracket is a lot nicer looking...is that to suit the EB alt and 3 belt setup or would it be possible to use it with the EF alt and sepentine single belt setup?

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 6  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next