Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: really bad fuel economy...help please
Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BA Falcon

SA, Australia

hey all.

last week i had to put a new radiator in my ED...the old one was really blocked up and overheating all the time...now the new radiator is in it runs cool all the time and the thermos hardly ever come on which is good.

the only probably is before i could change the radiator i went for a trip to hahndorf...and she overheated pretty badly on the way back to to adelaide...as in running in the red...losing oil pressure...so i'm wondering if i've damaged the engine...more specifically if i've done my rings over.

out of my last whole tank of petrol i got 304km...and that's driving sedately. car also seems to have a significant amount less power than before. does anyone have any suggestions?

2002 BA XT: Painted calipers, K&N pod filter, Pioneer head unit, Fusion sub and amp, driving lights, spoiler, 19" rims, twin 2.25" exhaust with quad tips.

Soon to come... Pacemaker Extractors, supercharger.

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

How cold is it running now?

If its running too cold it may still be in warm up. ECU runs the engine rich till operating temp is reach.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EBII XR6 /ED XR6 /EF XR6

Power: 154 rwkw

QLD, Australia

did you change the thermostat at the same time, if the radiator was blocked up bad the thermostat could be stuck open, or corroded away, will cause the car to stay in warm up mode.

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

thermostat is new...and working...the car heats up...then the thermostat opens and keep the car about about the N on the gauge. that rises when i'm stationary...or when i've got the AC on...then the thermos kick in and take it back down to just below the N then when i start moving it goes back up the middle of the N again.

2002 BA XT: Painted calipers, K&N pod filter, Pioneer head unit, Fusion sub and amp, driving lights, spoiler, 19" rims, twin 2.25" exhaust with quad tips.

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:52 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ED Hwy rider

VIC, Australia

crap fuel?? fill the filters and injector with crap. is it still bad?? i got a bad tank and my car went though it in 280ks of hwy drivin

5spd conversion, extac 2 1/2 mandrell bend, 2.92lsd, kings lowered.

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:07 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

hmmm nah i did a full fuel system cleanout last week after my crappy fuel consumption...and it's doing it on this tank as well.

is there anywhere i can go to get a compression test done?

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

what was the temp on the thermo you put in? sounds like if the fans arn't coming on thats whats causing it. i'd reset the ecu too.

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:11 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: XC GXL

QLD, Australia

I think I have a similar problem my fuel consumption is stupidly high 200-280ks form a tank the funny thing is my temp gauge always only ever moves 5 mm at the most even when idling for extended periods could this possibly be the wrong sender unit installed thus giving my guage/ecu a wrong reading?
anyways to tell?

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:18 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

can you have blown a headgasket? I mean crap fuel consumption and loss of power...or maybe a bad vacuum leak.

When I bought my EL the rocker cover wasn't on properly and had very crappy power down low till mid and my fuel consumption was about 20L/100km or more.

check for leaks, map sensor or any of the likes.

hope that helps

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB S1 3.9L Bush basher

WA, Australia

PhantomLord wrote:
thermostat is new...and working...the car heats up...then the thermostat opens and keep the car about about the N on the gauge. that rises when i'm stationary...or when i've got the AC on...then the thermos kick in and take it back down to just below the N then when i start moving it goes back up the middle of the N again.

Are you sure you dont mean L??? cos the N is at the top end of the gauge on mine. And if you are running on N then it is bloody hot

I dont care how fast your car is, mine goes faster through the bush.

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ea-ED temp gauges go the other way

from left to right.
El go right to left.

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

koperety wrote:
I think I have a similar problem my fuel consumption is stupidly high 200-280ks form a tank the funny thing is my temp gauge always only ever moves 5 mm at the most even when idling for extended periods could this possibly be the wrong sender unit installed thus giving my guage/ecu a wrong reading?
anyways to tell?

yep thats the same as mine, i think we both have the wrong temp sensor, some one elses opinion would be appreciated, ive been through everything, oxy sensor, fuel pressure reg etc

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:17 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Hmm maybe the eb2s just run cool? And are fuel guzzlers? Although im leaning more towards the sender/temp whatever you call it thing

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:49 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hey man, i am guessing you disconnected the battery, if you did you need to reset the ECU's Idle. go into your nearest repco they have a program on there computer to look up the timing and stuff on diffrent cars this also has the information to reset the idle. from memory you turn you car onto ingnition but not running, put into first with power econ switch on econ, and leave it for one minute then move it up to second and switch to power and leave for another minute, then into third and leave in economy for a yet another minute, then move into netural start the car and leave idle in drive econ mode for 2 minutes the AC clutch should come on then go off if done correctly you should see a raise in fuel economy straight away. this is assuming you have an auto

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:58 am 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

wow detailed reply thanks dude

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next