Fordmods Logo

Recommendations for engine replacement? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Recommendations for engine replacement?
Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:59 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF II XR6

VIC, Australia

Hey guys,
I know a fair amount of people here have done the BA conversion into the E-Series.
I myself am not a mechanic, and only have very basic knowledge on anything to do with mechanics.

The engine in my EF XR6 has done over 200,000 km's and I'm wanting to replace this with a BA XR6 engine. I'm obviously not going to even try to do this myself, it's way beyond me.

I'm looking for any recommendations in the Melbourne area for places that would be able to do the conversion. I've read a lot of articles on the conversion, and understand that there's other things I need to keep in mind, like engine management, etc.

Any advice or recommendations would be amazing.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Recommendations for engine replacement?
Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:09 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Also, has anyone in Vic/Melb done this conversion?

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:17 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

DARK_EF wrote:
Hey guys,
I know a fair amount of people here have done the BA conversion into the E-Series.
I myself am not a mechanic, and only have very basic knowledge on anything to do with mechanics.

The engine in my EF XR6 has done over 200,000 km's and I'm wanting to replace this with a BA XR6 engine. I'm obviously not going to even try to do this myself, it's way beyond me.

I'm looking for any recommendations in the Melbourne area for places that would be able to do the conversion. I've read a lot of articles on the conversion, and understand that there's other things I need to keep in mind, like engine management, etc.

Any advice or recommendations would be amazing.
Thanks

Be prepared for many headaches and lots of money.

Also....200,000km is nothing on the I6 engine. Mine's over 200,000km and still driving strong...beside power steering leak.

If you want simple engine drop, then just get the AU with a cut sump. Less dramas and still driveable with much less cost.

Sorry can't be of any help in regards to who does the conversion.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:59 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
Sell ya car, and with the money you were gonna spend, buy a BA. Seen em go for good prices.

I know it wasnt what you were after, but if you are not doing it yourself, will be a costly exercise.

Otherwise check out Benj's thread, last few pages he got one and is getting it ready for his car

Yeah I've seen BenJ's car. It's nice.
I've never been a great fan of the BA shell. A decent EF goes for a max of $7,000 these days, if that.
BA engine is something I've always wanted to do, that's why I'm wondering if anyone in VIC has done it.

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Ferntree Gully Auto Salvage used to sell a BA conversion kits for about $7500. xr8dismantler can tell you if they till do them. Send him a PM. (I thought they had an E-Series car as a test vehicle).

A lot of businesses won't touch this type of modification as they can't give a warranty. That's why they're done as back yard jobs with plenty of time spent fitting and testing thngs.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:40 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Shortshift wrote:
Ferntree Gully Auto Salvage used to sell a BA conversion kits for about $7500. xr8dismantler can tell you if they till do them. Send him a PM. (I thought they had an E-Series car as a test vehicle).

A lot of businesses won't touch this type of modification as they can't give a warranty. That's why they're done as back yard jobs with plenty of time spent fitting and testing thngs.

Thanks mate, I've hit up FTG autosalvage and they didn't mention they did conversion kits, just knew they sold the engines.

Yeah that makes sense, I just don't have the knowledge to do it myself.

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Dohc el futura, ea falcon

VIC, Australia

so did u find out if they sell the loom/conversion stuff?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]