Fordmods Logo

recondition engine? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:17 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL sedan gli

QLD, Australia

Drakken wrote:
Thanks guys. Will probably go with the AU gasket as I have no plan of putting a turbo in. Work on the engine has halted for now until I get another spanner as I dropped the one I had somewhere in the engine. f@#k!!!

how you gonna get it out?

Stock EL Gli Sedan, Tickford 98 EL/AU Hybrid Swapped in after aux shaft failure due to a lazy mechanic who can't service cars and aftermarket distributor-of-death-made-in-china crap.
Soon to be: The FalcMont - Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=120773

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:48 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Drakken wrote:
Thanks guys. Will probably go with the AU gasket as I have no plan of putting a turbo in. Work on the engine has halted for now until I get another spanner as I dropped the one I had somewhere in the engine. f@#k!!!

YOU NEVER KNOW IT COULD FIX ITS SELF LOL

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:14 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Don't get the AU Head gasket KIT. Some of the other small gaskets won't fit, so I was told. Get an ACL EF headgasket kit for about 150 or so and then go to Ford and get a genuine head gasket on its own.

Also make sure to get new head bolts as well, they are Torque To Yield (TTY) bolts. They stretch once when put in and if you remove it and put it back in a second time, the bolts are longer and weaker then new.

You can get the exhaust of the head made bigger if you want to fit the size of the primary exhaust pipes...but don't think you'd need to do that if you just have a normal cam. Will cost you a fair bit more then $200 to get that done though.

You can get an after market cam while you are at it. They will increase your performance by a fair bit and are not that hard to put in if you are doing the head. Don't go too crazy on the cam spec though, will run rough and chew through petrol if you are heavy footed.

Just some info.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:56 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XR6 EF

WA, Australia

phongus wrote:
Don't get the AU Head gasket KIT. Some of the other small gaskets won't fit, so I was told. Get an ACL EF headgasket kit for about 150 or so and then go to Ford and get a genuine head gasket on its own.

Also make sure to get new head bolts as well, they are Torque To Yield (TTY) bolts. They stretch once when put in and if you remove it and put it back in a second time, the bolts are longer and weaker then new.

You can get the exhaust of the head made bigger if you want to fit the size of the primary exhaust pipes...but don't think you'd need to do that if you just have a normal cam. Will cost you a fair bit more then $200 to get that done though.

You can get an after market cam while you are at it. They will increase your performance by a fair bit and are not that hard to put in if you are doing the head. Don't go too crazy on the cam spec though, will run rough and chew through petrol if you are heavy footed.

Just some info.

phong =P~

Thanks for that. I've read a bit about cams on here and from what I can gather is that theres on point getting a cam unless you change your ECU. Most people say they run ok but idol rough. With the head gasket, I just don't want it to crack again. I've been told the EF gaskets are pretty bad for that.

See where the rag is stuffed into the side there. That's where the spanner went in. The rags look like a good idea now

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

was puting a head on a Toyota 1HZ diesel and I dropped my nikko pen down one of the oil drain holes, which is exactly the same size as the pen. I was marking the cyl head bolts as I done them up. They are XX Nm then +90, +90. The second +90 is hard, lucky I had a 1m long breaker bar.
It was OK, the guy wanted his oil level sensor fixed anyway.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2