recondition engine? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: recondition engine?
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:50 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XR6 EF

WA, Australia

Hi,

I have a EF xr6 and having a string of problems which I'm having trouble keeping up with. I think the major problem at the moment though is a cracked head gasket. I've left it a bit too long now and I think corrosion has started.

Now I want to know what is the best option here. To pay to get it checked out and if it can be, get it reconditioned or look for a reconditioned xr6 engine from somewhere else. I know this is probably going to cost big money but I don't see another option.

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF V8 Futura, 180sx

QLD, Australia

well if your up to it you could remove the head and send it off to engine reconditioner and he can weld up water jackets that have coroded and shave the head and check valve guides and so on and give you your head back as new. if you pull the head off you will proberly find that 1 or 2 head bolts on the exhaust side have snapped and that caused your head gasket leaked.

has you oil and coolant mixed?
when you have the engine running take the cap of the resivour(cooling system) is it bubbling?
are you consumming oil?

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:49 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Coolant isn't boiling. I'm not loosing any oil. I'm in the process of taking the engine apart now. I was using info on an engine reconditioning getting done by another user and now I can't find it. It had progress pics and everything. Really useful until I lost it. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be cool.

On a side note. Don't know if anyone else caught the news about some petrol stations giving out up to nearly 50% water and stuffing up engines? I thought that might be my problem so I took some fuel out of the car and it looked like piss. Isn't it meant to be a pinkish colour? I use BP ultimate. Is it meant to be piss yellow?

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

This doco started by Ugly Bob might be useful.

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... d%20change

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:41 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

That's the one I was looking for. Thanks

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 02 xls ute 347

SA, Australia

you might just have a warped head and blowen head gaskit just take the head of and take it to a store that fixes them it shouldn't cost more than $200 i got mine re faced and serviced with new parts for $150 then just bought an au gaskit for 80 and bobs yu uncle
also if you look in the forsale section heads are always up for sale im pretty sure theres a xr6 head and cam atm for $400

02 series 3 AU marline ute 5speed 347 stroker

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Yeah. I'm getting the head machined and pressure tested. I have 2.5" extractors. Do I need to get the head machined to open up to that size or are they big enough already?

Also so. What's the difference between cam's and what can they do for you?

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Everyones been saying to buy an AU head gasket. Do they fit an EF engine with no other modifications? If I buy a AU gasket kit will the rest of the gaskets fit to?

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:22 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Drakken wrote:
Everyones been saying to buy an AU head gasket. Do they fit an EF engine with no other modifications? If I buy a AU gasket kit will the rest of the gaskets fit to?

yeah mate will fit straight on

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 02 xls ute 347

SA, Australia

yeah it will fit straight on but if you are going to turbo your car in the future its probably not the best mod because the compression boosts up a little bit i also noticed with the head being faced twise now and with the au gaskit pinging is a problem with 91ron

02 series 3 AU marline ute 5speed 347 stroker

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Everyone recommends the AU head gasket because it thinner which raises your engine compression and also head shave will raise it a bit by raising the compression you get more power but also if you get to night compression you have to run a higher octane fuel to stop it from pinging.
also with the higher compression you will get better fuel economy

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: NL Fairlane

WA, Australia

worse fuel economy and yes you have to use high octane fuel,i have an ed xr6 with head shaved 60 thou,ported,extractors,zorst,run on nothing but 98 octane and it chews through the juice.
pics of car and engine prgress,some pics anyways,engine was in bits when i bought the car
link:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2978838

NL fairlane soon to be blown :)

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

The reason for using the AU MLS Head Gasket is in fact that its not supposed to blow like the standard ones. The Compression increase is a bonus.

Nigel

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:31 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Thanks guys. Will probably go with the AU gasket as I have no plan of putting a turbo in. Work on the engine has halted for now until I get another spanner as I dropped the one I had somewhere in the engine. f@#k!!!

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

IN THE ENGINE????? lol thats one i haven't done after all the cylinder heads i've done.

did it go down between timing cover and block? or a oil jacket

Ford EF Futura Black

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next