redback or berklee catback?? ba xr6 n/a 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: redback or berklee catback?? ba xr6 n/a
Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

ok im getting a full system for my car and ive decided on pacemaker 4490s, metallic (high flow) 100cpi cat, but ive come to the point where two exhaust shops are telling me different ideas about catback systems, one has told me go redback and that berklee is the same as redback since redback own it, this one also tells me that berklee is in a finacial problem and may be moving overseas to stay alive (in short warranty may disappear).how ever another exhaust shop tells me that redback is too loud and their fore reduces torque, so he recommends berklee over redback.
pros and cons
REDBACK
-cheaper +
-twin tips out of the rear muffler (what i want) +
-built in Australia and as far as i know aint in any financial crisis +
-possibly (i reckon bull $hit) produces more sound resulting in less torque -
BERKLEE
-more expensive, but not by much -
-single tip and tip can not be changed as is only a single tip from muffler -
-build in oz at the monument but in financial crisis (according to exhaust shop) and may move overseas causing a warranty issue on parts -
-according to the 2nd exhaust shop provides the engine with more torque as the sound is limited by 2 mufflers and 1 hotdog +

what do you guys reckon would be the better option, i would prefer a redback but if the berklee provides better torque i would go for it instead, however i doubt it produces more torque and even if it did it would probably be un-noticeable.

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Post subject: Re: redback or berklee catback?? ba xr6 n/a
Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: AUII XR8 ute

VIC, Australia

Go redback, a lot of us use them with no problems. More torque? Yeah, maybe 1/10th of f**k all.

Besides, how is more restriction going to equal more torque? Less restriction the better until you go real big. The guy reccomending the Berklee is a knob.

How many bears could Bear Grylls grill if Bear Grylls could grill bears?

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yer im gonna go for the redback, windsor exhaust is the place that gave me the quote for 1270, first place i go to best service and cheapest price, and the only exhaust shop that hasn't told me what i "need" before i even describe what im after :roll:

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:12 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

edited, i didn't read the whole post.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

93_eb_fairmont wrote:
Besides, how is more restriction going to equal more torque? Less restriction the better until you go real big. The guy reccomending the Berklee is a knob.

Air speed my friend. By speeding it up and slowing it down in the correct places it creates a scavenging effect. This promotes greater cylinder fill and that is what makes more torque. There is some noticable difference to it as well which is compounded once you fit bigger cams or ported heads and the like.

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

go the berklee or the redback system with an extra free flowing muffler

you dont want "loud" behind a six....... you want the advantages a sports exhaust gives the car, but still keep the factory sound (none)

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

im gonna go with the redback system as it has twin tips from the rear muffler which is what i want for looks, im not planing on doing cams or porting so i wont notice a difference between redback or berklee. only mod im gonna do after this is underdrivers, would love to get it tuned but i cant see how plugging in a computed and clicking run program and a couple of dyno runs can ever cost over 400

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

You can fit twin tips to the other system. haven't you head or 1 into 2 split tailpipes. I had a set on my XF.

Underdrives for a 6 is a fairly recent mod, don't know the cost vs benefits though.

I'd fit a tune after a cam and exhaust. A tune and then exhaust will give you absolute minimal gains.

As for tuning, it a bit more complicated than than just running auto tune and smashing it on the dyno a few times. Your computer has several hundred load points and your tuner has to manually get the fuel and timing spot on for each and every one of those if you want a good tune. No use having a car that runs good on full throttle but like a drunken thirsty dog if you aren't holding it flat.

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:17 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

winman wrote:
ok im getting a full system for my car and ive decided on pacemaker 4490s, metallic (high flow) 100cpi cat, but ive come to the point where two exhaust shops are telling me different ideas about catback systems, one has told me go redback and that berklee is the same as redback since redback own it, this one also tells me that berklee is in a finacial problem and may be moving overseas to stay alive (in short warranty may disappear).how ever another exhaust shop tells me that redback is too loud and their fore reduces torque, so he recommends berklee over redback.
pros and cons
REDBACK
-cheaper +
-twin tips out of the rear muffler (what i want) +
-built in Australia and as far as i know aint in any financial crisis +
-possibly (i reckon bull $hit) produces more sound resulting in less torque -
BERKLEE
-more expensive, but not by much -
-single tip and tip can not be changed as is only a single tip from muffler -
-build in oz at the monument but in financial crisis (according to exhaust shop) and may move overseas causing a warranty issue on parts -
-according to the 2nd exhaust shop provides the engine with more torque as the sound is limited by 2 mufflers and 1 hotdog +

what do you guys reckon would be the better option, i would prefer a redback but if the berklee provides better torque i would go for it instead, however i doubt it produces more torque and even if it did it would probably be un-noticeable.

Before you spend some coin it is worth while going on youtube and watching some exhaust vids. You will find the best sounding exhaust is a X_FORCE..................:)

Cheers and have a nice day......................

Current ride 2007
ML GLX Dualcab Triton 4x4

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]