Fordmods Logo

refitting motor 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: refitting motor
Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

I'm currently fitting a new eb motor to my eb and I just had a few questions while it's out

I pulled the black material off the firewall, polished the paint behind and it looks way better already. Is there anyway I can hide some of the wiring looms or any other things to do for improvement before I slot the new motor in?

I've removed many motors but never actually installed one, is there anything to note when refitting? The engine mounts have circular markings in them with faint cracks.. can I reuse them or will I need new ones? Also unfortunately I don't have the money/time to do the sump gasket, rear main and welsh plugs I've inspected them and hopefully they'll be ok, I've had the engine resting on concrete for a few days on the sump so I hope this hasn't ruined the gasket in anyway.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: refitting motor
Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

ILLaViTaR wrote:
I'm currently fitting a new eb motor to my eb and I just had a few questions while it's out

I pulled the black material off the firewall, polished the paint behind and it looks way better already. Is there anyway I can hide some of the wiring looms or any other things to do for improvement before I slot the new motor in?

I've removed many motors but never actually installed one, is there anything to note when refitting? The engine mounts have circular markings in them with faint cracks.. can I reuse them or will I need new ones? Also unfortunately I don't have the money/time to do the sump gasket, rear main and welsh plugs I've inspected them and hopefully they'll be ok, I've had the engine resting on concrete for a few days on the sump so I hope this hasn't ruined the gasket in anyway.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Way better to do a sump gasket before fitting, and hidden wiring is for trailer queens, not DD's.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Yeah I wanted to do the sump at least but I was slightly worried about doing it on the crane too incase the shackles gave way or something with my hands under it. But more so when I called repco/autobarn/bursons and they didn't have a sump gasket in rubber they were all cork?? I couldn't find a rubber one and I also read they need to be torqued/fitted perfectly which kind've put me off changing it along with the cork factor. I'm afraid it could possibly leak more than the one that's on there now haha provided I don't fit it perfectly (I've never done a sump before). The welsh plugs seem perfect with no corrosion at all so I'm hoping they won't leak, but with all the manifolds off it's so tempting to refit them anyway just incase but again my fear of doing a poor job is what's stopping me, if they're not rusted i'd imagine they'd never leak? As for the rear main seal I just hope that never goes because it looks like a royal pain to get too. Cheers

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:03 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 96 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

Mad2 wrote:
have some faith in oneself :mrgreen:

+1 mate.
Cork is abit of a down fall but really not that bad, id get one and do it anyway, apply a sh*t load of rtv blue sealant to both sides of the cork, and do the bolts up evenly till the cork JUST starts to move and squash out, how ive done it many times, no dramas yet.

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]