Fordmods Logo

Regraphed Dizzy's into EA-AU motors? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

I am confident I could get the MS2 working a BA engine with a EF/AU coil packs with working VCT. If somebody wants to send me a DOHC engine I'll get some coding happening ;)

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Coding?

With the megasquirt, once you build it how to do you get it to work? Do you need to write a program on it or just set parameters up in the tuning program and connect it to a laptop?

There is no way I can write code. /runs off to megasquirt.com

Im going to try and find an EST system this weekend. Dad's EA is CPI and on straight gas so Ill try and get it working on that before I commit to anything. If it works Im set.

Ive got the spare EA engine from the AIT car that I can put in the maverick but I might just put an AU engine in instead, they are only $500. The EA engine is too leaky. I should take it to a wreckers.

I wont use a BA motor in this conversion. Dellow said a customer had issues with clearance with a BA motor. I dont really want to have to worry about using an ECU to get it to run if I dont have to. KISS FTW

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

When you build the MS2 you start with a blank microprocessor. When you are ready for it, you download firmware from the website, swap a jumper over on the board, and download it with the software provided. You then use the megatune software to set it all up and do your tuning. Its all very simple.

You also get given the source code for the ECU and you can download free tools to compile your own firmwares. To get the VCT working you would need to know the details of the PWM (I think it is PWM anyway), configure two of the outputs. Find a block of unused memory on the chip to make the cam position tables, compile and load the firmware. Then you would need a small board to drive the VCT electronics (couldnt power it directly from the MS2), wire it up and cross your fingures.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks for that.

Ive done a bit more reading, lots to go through :(

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

aaron_hogan wrote:
dude why didn't you just ring me to ask?

Here's my take on it:
Don't bother trying to butcher an XE-F reluctor type dizzy to fit. Its more headached than its worth. It can be done but needs to be done properly. Really you need to kill 3 dizzys to make one and its a whole day on a lathe to do it. The short version is that the gear is upside down, the dizzy body is poorly supported when you have to clearance it for the aux shaft. This causes the shaft to be unsupported and it will phase around causing teh rotor to clip the stator. Also the stock height can be a problem under a broad band manifold. not good.

i have used the xe/xf reluctor type dissy into 4.0l a heap of times just by removing the gear and putting upside down and only using one dissy never had a problem yet. the good thing about the reluctor type dissy is being able to regraph.

if it was me i would go for regraghed xe/xf reluctor type dissy and dedicated gas, simple & easy and basically the same outcome as running aftermaket ecu's ect.

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The BA motor would need the edis 6 module and AU coil packs to work wouldnt it? Is there any reason why the megasquirt cant be setup with an aftermarket ignitor setup rather than the edis system?

I might buy one and give it a shot if it is going to be basically the same ECU for both BA and AU engines. I can test it on the BA motor. The autronic is still being developed to work wth the cams and I wouldnt mind being able to drive the car to move it around.

How long did it take you to put the thing together?

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I just ordered a megasquirt 2 and stimulator from DIYautotune.

Im going to give it a go on the BA motor minus VCT and see if I can get it working.

Whether is stays on this car or moves to something else depends on its success. If it works well I dont mind saving $1900 on an autronic :)

If anyone has a spare EDIS 6 module let me know :P

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2