Fordmods Logo

Removing Coolant level sensor? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Removing Coolant level sensor?
Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:12 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EB2 Fairmont

VIC, Australia

I changed my EF coolant header tank with my newer EB one that i bought new not long ago but it's just a falcon one without the level sensor init.
I expected to just cut and join the sensor wires to close the circuit so the dash light would'nt come on but it still does wether the wires are connected or disconnected......Do i need to fit a resistor or maybe the sensor wiring is faulty somewhere else???

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

You can't swap the sensor over to your current header tank ??

The sensor either registers 180 ohms or 1250 ohms (from memory), so a short won't do it.
If your EF tank is still okay, put it back - the sensor will do it's job, and save you some serious coolant loss problems, they are handy.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:33 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Hey Snap.....I just figured that seeing as i keep a very close eye on my fluid levels ie check oil/water every 2nd weekend......i don't actually need a little light to tell me it's low.....then again anything could happen within two weeks huh.......The newer tank just needs the middle removed from the threaded insert section for the sensor......it's only plastic and i would prefer to keep the newer tank as it's only 6mnths old......Hope i can find the sensor too!!!

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:36 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

well i used a dremel to make the hole in my new tank

just start small and go up :)

i then used some clear silicone to make sure it sealed and has being fine ever since

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:05 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Ye i'lll be doin the same...the old tank was all rusty and s**t and i just siliconed a rubber plu init so i could use it in the old/to be wrecked EB.....the new one was $65 so i wanna use it!

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Boosted ED XR6, EBII Mont Wgn

Power: 252 rwkw

VIC, Australia

when/if you fitt the sensor you can still buy the pubber gromit from ford about $3.00 i got one when i fitted the sensor into my new tank..

[SEXYR-6] ED XR6 T5 Turbo Build
[EBW-347] EB Wagon V8 Stroker Build
FordMods Member #1761

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:22 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

BlkEB2 wrote:
Hey Snap.....I just figured that seeing as i keep a very close eye on my fluid levels ie check oil/water every 2nd weekend......i don't actually need a little light to tell me it's low.....then again anything could happen within two weeks huh.......The newer tank just needs the middle removed from the threaded insert section for the sensor......it's only plastic and i would prefer to keep the newer tank as it's only 6mnths old......Hope i can find the sensor too!!!

All I was simply asking was whether the sensor could be transferred over. :roll:
I couldn't remember whether the non sensor units were solid plastic, or just had a rubber blank and the screw ring.
I've found having a sensor has warned me early a few times - split hose, head gasket, etc. Unfortunately the water temp sensor isn't the quickest indication of these things.
Whether you want a sensor or not, is your call.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

New Zealand

I was just wondering if the sensor had a thread on it or what if not how does it sit in there?

98 EL XR6 Tickford
5 Speed manual
Stainless extractors
2.5 in exhaust
Custom Alloy intake
CSA Prowlers

Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagon & EF fairmont wagon & M

VIC, Australia

It's held in by a threaded collar... go find one at the wreckers. I can definitely attest to being caught out by the temp guage.... useless when the radiator splits. Thats why I blew my head gasket the first time.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]