Fordmods Logo

Replacement head gasket 

 

Page 1 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

 
 Post subject: Replacement head gasket
Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 48

Posts: 400

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EA

Location: kirra
QLD, Australia

i will be replaceing the head gasket on my ea in two weeks. :roll:

i have been told to use the au gasket and bolts,is this ok and will it work well :?:

is there any surprises i should watch out for. :shock:

i have also been told to torque it to 30nm the tighten another 120 degree's,does this sound right :?:

your advice is greatly appreciated

 

_________________

NO ONE DIES A VIRGIN AS LIFE SCREWS US ALL

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:00 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 3097

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

Location: Ivanhoe
NSW, Australia

Yeah the AU head gasket from Ford is apparently the best.
Those torque figures are for the actual AU motor, so I'm not sure if you should be using them or 40Nm and 90 degrees?

BTW, anyone have a price on the AU Head Gasket?

 

_________________

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 35

Posts: 1993

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: BA2 XR6T

Location: Mount Colah
NSW, Australia

i reckon that the aftermarket head bolts are better than anything ford make, and ive heard that from a few other people too.

 

_________________

BOOSTED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Replacement head gasket
Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 1434

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

Location: Sunshine Coast QLD
QLD, Australia

pepsimax wrote:
i will be replaceing the head gasket on my ea in two weeks. :roll:

i have been told to use the au gasket and bolts,is this ok and will it work well :?:

is there any surprises i should watch out for. :shock:

i have also been told to torque it to 30nm the tighten another 120 degree's,does this sound right :?:

your advice is greatly appreciated


Hey there ... Yup, AU head gaskets are good, or just after market ACL or mono-toqure (think they might even be the same company.

Look for out, tappets that can fall out of rockers, remember to zip-clip/cable tie the cam gear sproket to the timing chain, and check your timing chain guides.

Also, when retighting them, its 40nM starting from the middle in the right order, (will say what order on the VRS kit) and then its another 90oC tighter

Just make sure you have a big braker bar to get the old head bolts out ..

Once you have the head of, get it crack/presure tested! ... Saves doing it again in 3mths time if your head it cracked.

GOod luck!

Ant...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:09 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 3097

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

Location: Ivanhoe
NSW, Australia

I have some permaseal head bolts, they any good?

As for suprises, make sure you don't round the head bolts. So try and use a six-sided socket if you have one.

 

_________________

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Replacement head gasket
Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:13 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 53

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: FG XR6 TURBO UTE

Location: Deerpark
VIC, Australia

au2low wrote:
pepsimax wrote:
i will be replaceing the head gasket on my ea in two weeks. :roll:

i have been told to use the au gasket and bolts,is this ok and will it work well :?:

is there any surprises i should watch out for. :shock:

i have also been told to torque it to 30nm the tighten another 120 degree's,does this sound right :?:

your advice is greatly appreciated


Hey there ... Yup, AU head gaskets are good, or just after market ACL or mono-toqure (think they might even be the same company.

Look for out, tappets that can fall out of rockers, remember to zip-clip/cable tie the cam gear sproket to the timing chain, and check your timing chain guides.

Also, when retighting them, its 40nM starting from the middle in the right order, (will say what order on the VRS kit) and then its another 90oC tighter

Just make sure you have a big braker bar to get the old head bolts out ..

Once you have the head of, get it crack/presure tested! ... Saves doing it again in 3mths time if your head it cracked.

GOod luck!

Ant...


not true dude, pepsi max was right when he said 30 then 120, the torques are different due to it being a metal shimmed gasket rather than a fibre one
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Replacement head gasket
Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 1434

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

Location: Sunshine Coast QLD
QLD, Australia

EF250KW wrote:
au2low wrote:
pepsimax wrote:
i will be replaceing the head gasket on my ea in two weeks. :roll:

i have been told to use the au gasket and bolts,is this ok and will it work well :?:

is there any surprises i should watch out for. :shock:

i have also been told to torque it to 30nm the tighten another 120 degree's,does this sound right :?:

your advice is greatly appreciated


Hey there ... Yup, AU head gaskets are good, or just after market ACL or mono-toqure (think they might even be the same company.

Look for out, tappets that can fall out of rockers, remember to zip-clip/cable tie the cam gear sproket to the timing chain, and check your timing chain guides.

Also, when retighting them, its 40nM starting from the middle in the right order, (will say what order on the VRS kit) and then its another 90oC tighter

Just make sure you have a big braker bar to get the old head bolts out ..

Once you have the head of, get it crack/presure tested! ... Saves doing it again in 3mths time if your head it cracked.

GOod luck!

Ant...


not true dude, pepsi max was right when he said 30 then 120, the torques are different due to it being a metal shimmed gasket rather than a fibre one


Ah okay ... for the AU ones. .. the other ones i've done are 40 then 90 ... mono-touque ones..
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 48

Posts: 400

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EA

Location: kirra
QLD, Australia

jeez talk about quick replies

thankz people

will keep you informed

 

_________________

NO ONE DIES A VIRGIN AS LIFE SCREWS US ALL

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 1434

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

Location: Sunshine Coast QLD
QLD, Australia

Think we all might be trying to get our post counts up again lol ;)
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 48

Posts: 400

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EA

Location: kirra
QLD, Australia

sounds about right to

it all helps aye

 

_________________

NO ONE DIES A VIRGIN AS LIFE SCREWS US ALL

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:22 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 41

Posts: 90

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: EF Cross Breed

Location: Campbelltown
NSW, Australia

I agree about getting our post up again. But the head gasket situation be carefull, I work at a ford wrecker specialist and run my own performance buisness, ford are renown for head gasket problems ever wondered why?
Extensive tests show the torque settings are wrong even a few mates at a few ford dealerships agree. I have done at least 200 head gaskets on fords that i can show on paper work. I use au head studs and torque down to 80NMs than 180Dec turn Belive me you can't over squash a head gasket esspesially an au or ACL race and you won't crack the head by over tightening that is a large block off alloy, I'll touch wood but i havn't had one come back yet and i won't do it any other way. When you do 40NMs and 90Dec turn you can do tighter with a standard half inch ratchat its not tight. I also spray HYLOMAR on the gasket as well for reasurance.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:13 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 48

Posts: 400

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EA

Location: kirra
QLD, Australia

i know your all trying to help but i would like to know the final concensis on this

how about i torque to 70nm then 135 degrees :?:

i know you can torque head gaskets more thatn the quoted but i am a bit hesitant to do this

 

_________________

NO ONE DIES A VIRGIN AS LIFE SCREWS US ALL

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:50 am 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 47

Posts: 112

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: V.W.

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Well I've done a few and I make it up as I go. :lol:

But I start them at about 40 N.m then I do them again at about 70 N.m then again at 100 N.m then I finish at 120 N.m.

I also use that Head Gasket sealant, I forget the name but your spare parts man would know. ( You don't need to use it but it's extra insurance )

Or you could could look in your manual and follow it's directions.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 48

Posts: 400

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EA

Location: kirra
QLD, Australia

well the au gasket is going on an ea

so the manual wont help.

i thought of torque them to 60nm then 120 degrees

an extra 20nm shouldn't hurt aye :?:

 

_________________

NO ONE DIES A VIRGIN AS LIFE SCREWS US ALL

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 47

Posts: 112

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: V.W.

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

The Torque sequence is to protect the Head from warping,
more then it is to protect the Gasket. So I would follow the EA Manual.
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:59 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names