Fordmods Logo

Replacing A/C Compressor Falcon EF XR6 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Replacing A/C Compressor Falcon EF XR6
Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:44 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon EF XR6

NSW, Australia

Hi guys just wondering if someone could walk me through replacing the compressor, Wanting to do it myself but i wasn't sure which way to turn the bolt that connects the lines to the compressor, clockwise or anti clockwise, sorry for newbie question just don't wanna damage the bolt..seems to be done up pretty tight, i know i have to undo it slowly to let the gas and oil out and stand back as it will go everywhere. Also being 10kms outta town its hard to find someone who will do it for me and really can't afford to get it regassed for awhile, i just want the car to run thats the main thing atm as i just got my license.

Post subject: Re: Replacing A/C Compressor Falcon EF XR6
Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:18 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Standard Bolt, 10mm Anti-clockwise.

Use a hex spanner to get all the sides of the bolt, as a open ender or a double hex can strip the head (same as the timing guide bolt)

Good luck with letting the gas out slowly with the bolt, dont be greedy otherwise the o-ring will shoot out and fill the shed with a mist!

Also its not really legal, I'd take it to the AC joint and get then to extract it, usually its for free as they know your going back to re-fill.

undo, replace the compressor and when you need to get it gassed, get the ac mob to put an ounce of PAG oil.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Ok thank you.. Yeah wasn't sure and tried the open ender and it started stripping it so i was just like woah i'll leave it until i can ask somebody.

If i can't get a hold of a hex spanner would a ratchet bar with a 10mm bit do the job?

Thanks for helping me out mate, Yeah i will try and ring around and see if i can find somewhere to get it extracted. Can't really get the car into town as im 10kms out and my last fan belt snapped i think from the compressor seizing on me. So don't really wanna risk the new belt. And how much should they charge for a full system flush and regass? Rang around the other day, got quoted $670 and lowest was $400 from ford.

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:49 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

theres a schredder valve you can use to release the gas.

As for the pump. just slap on a second hand one. if the other ones cactus it may have spat out little particles of ally into the pressure lines, so before you regass it make sure you've blown some air into the pipes (not much).

Throw on the second hand pump, you should get one for $20-40.

The biggest killer of these scroll pumps is heat. that and high rev's.

If you search on here or on FFAU i have a thread on how to modify the thermo fan wiring so the fans come on 100% when the AC is on, aiding in lower temp for the pump and greater airflow for the condensor.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Last edited by Krytox on Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:03 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

I was wondering if there was an easier way to release it first, where would i find the schredder valve? Is it that valve on the metal lines that run on the passenger side with a little screw lid that has a H on it i think?

Yeah i got the 2nd hand one on ebay its in the boot ready to go in. And i will remember to blow some air into the pipes, thanks for the advice :)

OK thanks for that mate, once i'm a bit more mechanical that sounds like a good idea, or i can get a mate to do it for me hopefully with the modifications see how we go. Thanks so much :)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]