Replacing heater hoses. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Replacing heater hoses.
Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

ok, bro noticed a drop of coolant under the parents ef mont which i will be taking over in 1-2 months... anyway, it appears to be coming from the join of the heater hose, where it connects to that metal pipe...

the question is i guess, how hard are the heater hoses to replace? how expensive? and how much coolant am i going to loose? seeing as we just replaced the coolant less than a month ago when doing the thermostat.

and it also seems there is a pinhole size leak in the bottom thermostat housing.... you cant see it, but there is coolant that sit in that 1 patch.. i got some photos.

now i guess, there are going to be a real pain in the a**, is it worth just gettin a mechanic to do it, save laying under a car, swearing, gettin covered in coolant etC?

and with the very last pic you will notice that it leaks in the main part of the photo, but if you look very bottom left you can see a leak too..

any ideas of the price you would be looking at for a mechanic to do this job? and would it be possible for them to save the coolant, as its less than a month old.

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1994 Ford EF Fairmont Ghia Sedan

VIC, Australia

ok there is no way (that i know of) of saving the coolant what so ever. Just a question, when you changed the thermostat, did you seal up the housing with a bead of sealent?

The metal heater tap that is on the back of the engine on the passenger side, you can get underneath there and do it yourself, it just matters whether or not you can work with your hands without seeing them. The first time will take you a little while (around 3 hours). It is just a standard heater hose.

The small one on the top of the engine (going into thermostat), when you took that off, did you make sure the screw was done up tight? Also if that does not work, also try a bead of sealent around there too

enjoy 8-)

1994 ford fairmont ghia - Currently 302 with T5 - Work in progress :P

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

just buy some new hoses mite as well replace em all while your doing the job your gonna looses all your coolant changing heater hoses. so good chance to clean and flush the cooling system. i could imagine around an estimate of $150 for a mechanic to do it, including hoses and coolant.

then again its probly not a hard job providing you have a few tools and some ramps or access to a hoist. shouldn't take you more then a hour to replace all heater hoses and flush and clean cooling system.

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

The job is easy, just a matter of getting to it. As for the thermostat housing, when i changed mine, i put the top housing on a sheet of glass, with 120 grit i think, and give it a good sand, it was out if whack, i just used the O ring, and it doesnt leak, amazed really lol. Least do the top housing bit, save you some money, or your olds can give the money to you.

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

and for your thermostat leak remove the thermostat cover and clean surfaces with fine sandpaper removing all signs of gasket. put it back together without a gasket just use a layer of ultrablue.

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

thanks guys...

the leak on the thermostat housing is not from the join.... when we did it back up we used sealant and no gasket, and looking at the joins, the coolant isnt coming from there, could there be a small crack in the bottom thermostat housing? the green blob you see in the photo was sticky when wiping it away...

so, that blob on the thermostat wasnt from the seal, or the hoses going into the top of the thermostat, they are clean and try, so i cant explain how it got there apart from a tiny crack on the lower housing...

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

dude, the coolant costs f**k all.... dont be too worried about losing it

Banned

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Gaz wrote:
thanks guys...

the leak on the thermostat housing is not from the join.... when we did it back up we used sealant and no gasket, and looking at the joins, the coolant isnt coming from there, could there be a small crack in the bottom thermostat housing? the green blob you see in the photo was sticky when wiping it away...

so, that blob on the thermostat wasnt from the seal, or the hoses going into the top of the thermostat, they are clean and try, so i cant explain how it got there apart from a tiny crack on the lower housing...

Yes it maybe a crack or a pin hole in the housing, it happened to me. Porosity holes or housing corroding out from the inside. I only found it when the cooling system was under pressure..

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

The thermostat should have a rubber ring around it to seal. It takes a bit more than an hour to replace all the hoses as they can be a prick to get off especially the heater core ones. there is approximately 10 hoses in total.

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ef fairmont

WA, Australia

replece them all just pull the heater hoses off the heater core dont worrie about the clamps...
p.s dont be a p***y just hang on them

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]