Fordmods Logo

Replacing oil pump 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Replacing oil pump
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hey everyone, ive searched the forums with no luck, but i was wondering if someone can give me a run down on what is required to change the oil pump, both the parts (oil pump of course) and the work required.

Appreciate it, cheers
Matt

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Post subject: Re: Replacing oil pump
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Remove Engine and take sump off
or
Drop Sump by removing K-Frame (all the front suspension and wheels to be taken off)

From there it's plain sailing so I've been told. It is run from the end of the AUX shaft which is driven via the cam timing chain from the crank sprocket. The AUX shaft sprocket is twice as big as the crank so it turns at half the amount of revolutions per minute. The oil pump sits above its associated oil pickup at about cylinder two on the passenger side INSIDE the engine block (just in front of where the dipstick goes into the block and below where the oil pressure sender or switch lies).

To cut a long story short - It's a mission mate. Whilst you're at it, you may as well see if you've got some money for some head work, gaskets and do an almost complete engine rebuild.

Well... You don't have to go that far, of course. But if you've got the cash for the parts and a bit of time available whilst you have the motor out the car you may as well give everything the once over.

If you have access to movable engine hoist you're onto a winner if you can really summon up the huge amounts of energy and effort required.

OR you can remove the K-Frame by removing the wheels, pretty much all the suspension and steering and support the motor when you lower the frame and take the sump off that way. This will let you get to the troublesome oil pump and you could be putting it all back together again in under a day.

I've only ever pulled one K-Frame out to get a sump to replace my damaged one and it took about three hours of pretty solid work. Would probably be best to have two people, a spring compressor and a very solid set of stands. Putting it all back together could maybe take longer than pulling it apart...

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks mate, appreciate the effort took to write that and it was a good read! :)

But i think i will just get the mech. to do it, then sell it :)

Thanks again buddy!

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Hi again Gas brother --- Maybe FORDMODS and other Ford Forums of whatever description should have a "help the needy" list or something where people could list what they need done to keep their Aussie Ford on the road and a bunch of enthusiastic people would show up on the Saturday and get a bit tiddly whilst watching the footy, drinking some beer, having a general laugh and working on some unfortunates car?..

This would never work, I guess, as everyone is too busy trying to find time to work on their own damn cars. Mind you - There's got to be people around your area with the skills, tools and time.... Might save you a fair whack on the mechanic labour prices....

Here's product that could solve all your oil related problems...
OIL BYPASS KIT by KALEAUTO

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Haha thanks for the link.

Yeah the Rolls Royce club does things like that, although they are certainly not needy, lol!

Im not needy either, i just cant justify spending $7-900 on a f**k $3,000 car, lol :)

5-5.7L Vx commodore after this one i think :) Those engines, a single air intake and cmos flash (cmos flash costs $30-35 because the roms are so cheap!) leaves you with an extra 40-60rwkw!

Seriously, i like fords, but they have a huge list of problems

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

But dude -- According to your signature you have WATER INJECTION and all sorts of good stuff going on. I agree that it is very expensive working on a Ford I6 to get 60KW more grunt...! But hey - You could get 60KW more power out of a 5.7L VX Commodore by changing it's tune via flashing its memory? Really?! Why on earth do they leave the factory that far out of tune?

And when Holden and Ford start putting 310 or 297 in big letters on the boot, what is that referring to? Kilowatts, I would have thought.

I don't know anything about the Holdens and flash tuning them, but that sounds like an awful lot of bang for your buck. No argument with that!

Commodores also have a huge list of problems mate. Just about every car does.

I know three new Honda Accord owners who all laugh at my attempts to make a reasonably powerful Ford --- They claim their new Hondas have 240KW already. It is odd, because they ALL say 240. But even the Honda website claims 204KW and 340NM.

That is from a 3.6L V6 VTEC engine. You can't argue with that really.

But still, one of the idiots who bought one swears it is 240KW and that it feels twice as powerful as his old AU1 sedan. Firstly, the AU1 is ten years old and he never does anything to it other than change the oil once in his ownership since new. Second, 240KW at the wheels? Hahahah, he's dreaming. Thirdly, he is a know all Greek fella. Fourthly, he is going on and on about how Honda is so much better than Ford - more comfortable, better dash, etc etc etc. I ask him if he test drove a new G6 Turbo Ford. And he didn't know what it was and was ONLY EVER GOING TO COMPARE HIS OLD 150,000 AU1 WITH A BRAND NEW HONDA ACCORD. Unbelievable.

http://www.honda.co.nz/site/new_cars/index.html - Try clicking on HONDA V6 ACCORD and checking the engine spec's... The HONDA LEGEND is 226KW or something, but that has a different engine capacity.

You can take your all your Kilowatts, put all my tools in your car, hitch up the trailer with building gear and I'll see how you feel about it all once you've done that for a few weeks........

Ahem, good luck with the Commodore... They've got plenty of leg room for passengers in the back, if you happen to be gingerbread man.
:wink:

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

haha, 240kw at the engine would equate to 204 atw :)

FYI: Augusts coolest song!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGbRpdCRwt0

The commodore LS1 edit mod reroutes the airbox from the side to the front centre of the engine, to a huge front mounted snorkel, passing through a porsche gt3 filter mounted vertically then straight into the engine, that with a cmos flash, 40-60 extra kw at the wheels! Thats about $900 now from a shop who can fit it up and tune it :)

Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Ahah...
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 617748.htm

How about twin superchargers installed AFTER a front centre mounted throttle feeding straight into each bank of four cylinders? That'd probably do a bit better....
:D

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

That would be nice! But you would need alot more then just 15k to buy, fit, engineer and run that bad boy!

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Yeah mate. I am truly dreaming - I admit that.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]